valves at .005??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

china boy788

Reaction score
hey, im in need of doing valves on my 125,, will .005 on intake be to big??? .005 is the smallest feeler gauge i have?

2 sheets of regular paper will do at a pinch:) havent measured a beer can yet but i think thats about right as well...

I'm gonna try both at .004 next time and see how she runs, I've always been told .003/.004 or .004/.005

headsmess most paper is different thickness, but yea I guess it'd be ok for emergency

I was under the impression the exhaust valves should have a slightly bigger gap .008?

i was under the impression that a TALLY-HO PAPER WAS .001 ,HENCE 5 PAPERS = .005 AND SO FORTH

hmm just go a feeler gauge set lol like 12 bucks from any local hardware store

ok well i set intake to the two peice of paper size ,lol and jst waiting for bro to get home with the feeler guages for exhust, and ill c if it still will run then

all you guys have lost the plot

there's no motor on any of your bikes that need any more than 2 thou inlet and 3 thou exhaust

thats all i run my 150 at

from memory the vertical engines run higher clearance or it might be the hotter the engine runs dunno cactus should be able to clear that up for us

i just did mine by "feel" yesterday after a cam swap tll i get feelers , and it goes great lol..

ive heard is better to be too loose then tight .. but is it ever bad to be too loose??

yeah, using paper is dodgy, and ive never measured a tally ho:eek: but it works. when you cant find the feelers...more often than not:(

the touchy feely method works for a short term adjustment, but leaving the clearance too wide for too long will bugger the ends of the valve stem and rockers.

i set them at .005mm and .006mm if set any smaller i find they run fluffy and tends to cause higher temp on the exhaust valve and that can cause valve burn
and dont get mm and " mixed up as 2 thou is .005 mm

and to wogtaz to loose can cause wear and shock loading on valve train componants
upto 10thou is aceptable on these motors

before any one starts arguing i do this stuff for a living.

yeah nick thats where alot of confusion comes into play with the masses

"" and mm

the new school dont have a big understanding of the imperial times

Latest posts

Back