Water Cooled Horizontal 150cc

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_THUMP

Reaction score
While browsing around a few sites I came across this 150cc water cooled motor which I thought was interesting. The radiator looks a bit bulky so it would be hard to fit on a lot of bikes but a smaller single or twin radiator set up like on full size bikes would be a better option.

Im not sure of the brand of this motor and im yet to see it in a bike. Anyone else have any info on them?

What do you think about water cooled pit bikes? Pros and cons?

150cc WATER COOLED ENGINE SPECS

• Single cylinder 4-stroke water-cooled
  • horizontal cylinder diameter:56.5mm
  • distance:57.8mm
  • volume: 144.9ml
  • compression ration:9.7:1
  • max power/relevant rotating speed:7.2kw/7500r/min
  • max torque/relevant rotating speed:11.5N.m/5500r/min
  • spark: NGK
  • ignition :CDI
  • the lowest fuel consumption rate:less than 354(g/kw.h)
  • start model: kick start /electric start/ kick or electric start
  • N/G:20.5kg
  • W/G:23.5kg

OKO carburetor,dirt bike engine,CNC engine parts,bigmini,dirt bike manufacture,pit bike,dirt bike parts,pitsterpro,BBR, motovert ,sdg shape dirt bike

picture.php

Lifan have some water cooled motors as well which I assume are used in scooters etc
Lifan Group

picture.php

Heres a couple other pics I found of another water cooled horizontal motor in a bike

untitled.jpg

1-1.jpg

fits in the bike rather awkwardly.....
i think maybe the 2nd generation might be a bit better maybe twin radiators

twin radiators would present problems fouling with the steering... ever hopped on a mini, and had a look how far "into" the tank the upper fork legs come...? i cant imagine there would be room for twin radiator setup on your average mini... not without stretching the frame, and moving the tank back a bit for clearance... a better set up, would be a single sided radiator, akin to 85cc mxers... would also mean a different tank, with a radiator recess to be sculpted into it...
so, looks like a single radiator would be necessary....
looking at the JJC one, i cant see a water pump, which is a bit dodgy... i can only assume there is an integral pump in the top of the head, running off, or concentric to the cam... but going by the pics, the head doesnt look bulky enough to have a pump inside it, and the coolant lines don't reflect that either... The head also has cooling fins... wondering if heat soaking problems are present, and the engine cant be cooled sufficiently...
the Lifan on the other hand, clearly has a water pump, with entirely different coolant line routing... which appears as though it would be a better system.. The lifan is also electric start, with an in-efficient looking intake manifold, and a tiny little carby... makes me think it's more for scooter applications, than it is for pitties...
Water cooling in minis though, would be a nice change and a bit of a step forward as far as engineering goes... but then it does kinda go against the grain of minis being cheap, easy to maintain, and simple engines.... ;)

chinese water cooled.... nah not for me lol.
let them figure it out for a while
looks too complex for a mini.

the lifan i played with was heavy and gutless
i agree keep em simple

Thats what I was wondering weather it would actually be worth it on pit bikes. Do these motors actually need water cooling and would there be any benefits from it?
Ive seen twin oil cooler setups on bikes before mounted next to the shrouds but they are not as big as radiators so I can see the problems you would have trying to mount radiators to the bike this way.

I found a thread on PM about these motors where Staggs racing was testing one but they never said how it went. I guess that says it wasnt much good?
New 150cc engine. Any thoughts - Planet Minis

Latest posts

Back