Weird ticking noise

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney

Reaction score
Yo dooooods

I'm not sure if it's a bad thing or not but my bike is making a ticking noise and it sounds like its coming from the around the engine. Could it just be a loose bolt somewhere?

valves might be out... i know mine used to tick whenthey were out of spec... you could try checking the clearences...

oic well i could be wrong... is it lound ticking sound??? does it change when you rev??

Does the ticking sound increase with speed as the revs increase?

Give as much info as possible.

And don't assume that because the engine is new, it is set up properly.

:)

It's hard to tell if its getting faster while I rev it because its really loud. It COULD be ticking faster as I rev it.

how fast is the ticking sound?

Does it sound relative to the engine opperation or does it sound like something seperate to the engine?

It's probably the same speed as how the bike is vibrating. like every .5 of a second.

If you want to see if it is internal, get a long screw driver, place the handle to you ear and the tip of the screw driver to the engine... like a stethascope.

Place the screw driver at different point of the engine to locate the tick.
Start at the head.

If you can hear the ticking sound get louder with the screw driver it means the ticking is probably IN the engine.
Give the engine a bit of throttle, you will be able to hear if the ticking increases with the rpms.

lets us know how it goes.

put ur hand over the end of the exhaust when u rev it so that u can hear if the ticking gets quicker or not

could be a cam chain... if its got a weak spot it stretches and hits the outter wall... that happened to mine... but if its a new motor i'd doubt it...

And don't assume that because the engine is new, it is set up properly. :)

Bingo!

Take the covers off the head and check valve clearances and chain tension. best be safe than sorry.

Then find someone who does, or take it to a workshop

I'm fortunate enough to have a brother who used to be a mechanic (and who races bikes) and another brother who works for Motor Traders. Getting bikes/cars fixed is no problem for me! LOL

I'd definitely get it checked out. could be many things. worse case? could detonate a piston, then you might as well buy a new engine. Could be something REALLY simple to fix, but could be really serious if not.

Man this is shitting me off. I bet it's gonna be expensive to check aswell

I dont think its anything, probably just somthing vibrating a bit, unless its really loud.

I think you worry too much.

Latest posts

Back