Welding...

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PPB

Reaction score
Is it okay to weld near the engine?

I wanted to weld in a few places on the back end /underside on the frame of my 29 near the foot pegs / cradle... I don't want to blow up though :eek:
Thanks,
Ryleigh.

Thrashthumpy - should be fine just have ur fuel of and engine free of oil

Oh okay sweeet... But even if I drop the oil won't it still have little bits through the engine? or that doesnt really matter as long as the majority is gone?

you gotta be carful though....i fucked a pocket rocket cdi and shit cause i didnt earth it properly

Haha what's that mean? :(
My Grandpa's an old Boilermaker so I'm getting him to help out... So he should know...
But just to enlighten me, how exactly do I "Earth" it?

theyre should be clamp like a aligator clip thing with the welder assuming that its not a gas one....if it isa gas one your allright dont worry bout earthing lol

wat type of welding r u doing M.I.G , T.I.G, ARC, Oxy.
i would probly say that oxy is not a good thing to be doing since its a open flame and all and u carnt controll it as much as the others. if u have one of the others u will have a welding box (the bit the electrode or wat ever is attaced to ) and there sould be another lead coming from it where looks like a giant alagator clip thats your earth. just attach it as close to the spot u r welding as posable and u will be fine. and since engines get pritty hot i dont c any problem with u welding near it but not on it. one more thing to point out if u r arc welding wat ever the electrode touches it will start trying to weld. and u cant let the end of the electrode touch the metal u r welding after u strick it cuz it will just weld its self to it and sometimes its hard to get off lol. (DO practise welds on something if u havnt welded b4) good luch

Last edited:
if your so worried take the motor out , 2 bolts and some disconnecting of wires.

i've done it before, just get some fiberglass cloth or something like wool and wrap the engine to protect from sparks, if your paint on ya motor goes funny looking like a dull look get a buffing pad out and attach it to a drill or something and that will fix it.. take plastics off and tank, remove cdi and ignition coil and it will be fine, no need to remove oil.

good luck and happy welding.

What ever you do do not attach the earth strap to the engine. I havent looked at my wiring but if there is a ground wire in the harness its a good idea to dissconect it from the frame (in a car I always disconect the earh wire) before welding and I weld on cars everyday.

Latest posts

Back