what mountain bike

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stubsy

Reaction score
hey guys, my little girl can ride like a trooper now so Im in the market for a mountain bike to ride with her. I also want to use it for trails, jumps etc so im chasing a bit of an all rounder. Just wondering if anyone has any info choosing one. Budget is about 1k and I don't mind going second hand. im not expecting a downhill bike for that money but like the look of harttails. any info would be handy.

thanks

I have had malvern star xcs 1.0 for over 3 yrs of riding about 8k's a day and about 15 on occasion not counting weekends of doing the dandenongs and other riding spots with mates..

no problems really accept i have been through one set of forks and the disk brake calipers were overheated once for smooth breaking on a very steep long downhill section.. oh yeah and also riding enough to wear out the freewheel on the rear hub, so i upgraded to a double rim also turns out im rough on bikes but i broke a derailor mount... snapped it clean in half smashing through the gears trying to catch up to my mate while doing a power mono... so i made one at school from steel and still rode home no issues

whats it been retired to now? putting a motor on it :p

i would certainly go a hardtail again and when you buy you should probably look for the lightness and the feel of the bike, hydraulic brakes are common now but don't be put off by a cable system that has worked fine for me however i will never regret getting disk brakes, as they have saved me from going over the ass end atleast 300 times although sometimes they can overheat its unlikley unless your flying down a mountain side and have alot of hairpins, like i was

Last edited:
I have a 2009 Mongoose kyber elite and it's a damn awesome bike. Marzocchi rocco air r rear shock and Marzocchi bomber 55 tst2 forks. This bike cost me 1250 brand new which was through bicycle super store. NEVER BUY A BIKE THROUGH BSS THEY ARE JUNK AT FIXING BIKES. well at least they ruined my brakes and derailers when i took mine in for its complimentary service

I use my bike for a mix of downhill and cross country but if your going up hill a lot Haha good luck riding a dh up hill. Downhill bikes are notorious for being heavy buggers take mine for instance mine weighs 18.9kgs, although saying that i can easily maneuver mine around over jumps and even riding through trail riding.

You can also get a cheap secondhand Dh for under 1g if you look around.

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicy...on/turner-down-hill/templestowe/vic/102260231
http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicy...e-specialized-bighit/cheltenham/vic/102258932

Here are two i found.

This is mine
720365_Mongoose-202009-20Khyber-20Elite.jpg

Latest posts

Back