what to buy

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

streeter

Reaction score
hey guys i have sold off my old junker and have been looking at buying a new mini bike.

i am interested in something to ride around the trails no jumping etc just poke around with the missus etc and to have a fair amount of power but not to cost the earth.

i am nearly 95 kgs my budget is around the 1000 - 1500 mark i don't intend on racing but to be registerable would be a bonus as we have bike cops riding in the bush around our area on weekends and public holidays

any suggestions guys?

Last edited:
i was going to say klx.. but i dont think you could get one for under 1500..

(someone will correct me if im wrong)

If you want some thing registrable they usual have to have road tire so I don't think road tires will go to good in the bush or off road. Soo if you got to spend 1500 on a pit bike non registrable i would be looking at getting a DHZ 140 they go good so iv heard and go for around the 1000 mark.

I think he means rec reg which can be done to any bike you buy. All you need to do is get a lighting setup and you can get rec reg.

yeah rec rego is what i am after guys sorry should have been more specific are any of the pit pro or atomik bikes any good or are they trash its just that i saw that pit pro has a 160cc i think it was with around 16hp dunno if there any good tho

stay away from pitpro they can't get anything right, if you want a 160 have a look at this DHZ NEW 2009 DHZ DPRO MONSTER 160CC BIG BORE RACING PITBIKE - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 28-Aug-09 09:49:49 AEST)

I'd stay away from the 160 engine if I was you tho, too many bad stories out there, stick with 140 or 150 and you'll be right.

DHZ seems to have the best cheap china's and they're the only china bike sellers I've seen that don't try to bend you over backwards when it comes to spare parts.

If I was in your situation I'd buy a DHZ 140 for $1000 and spend the $500 left over on upgrades, you'll need protapers, unifilter, jap chain, grips, oils and lights if ya want rec reg.

oh and don't look at the HP ratings for any of these bikes, it's all lies, the 160 doesn't have 16 HP and it won't go the speed of light

Last edited:
^^^ agreed. i am a fan of DHZ and the 150cc are ment to go pretty good. i have a 140 got it for a $1000 bucks a year ago and i havent had any dramas except for the crashes. ha ha

you can get a KLX stock for around the $1500 mark...tryed looking at secind hand motoverts or pitster's?

if after new DHZ or pitpro, 140 or 150 will do. They are spot on for the amount of $$$$$ being spent (which isn't much) as I_THUMP said lighting setup and you'll be able to get it rec reged.Pitpros aren't bad for eBay bike they'll go the distance if you keep up with maintance (which is the key with these bikes) which also goes for the DHZ. It's pretty much a pick out of the hat which decides weather or not you get a good or bad bike from both dealers....Hay, DvDRip???

Yep one pit pro breaks endlessly while the other never has a problem, both had the same set up and maintenance apart from the endless fixing of the dud. I can't speak for DHZ I don't have one, I was just saying what I'd do with the $1500.

thanks guys so stay away from the atomik then and also stay away from the 160cc what kind of horror stories are there about these 160cc engines are they really bad engines or just unreliable?

i already have a set of pro tapers lights and some other spares laying around from other bikes ive had so that wont be a problem for the rec reg.

there was something wrong with the kickstart gears failing and advanced ignition timing causing kickback, the issues have been fixed as far as I know but whether pitpro has the fixed engines or is using the old ones is another story, 160's just aren't very desirable and most people seem to going for the 150 or the new 155z.
do a search for yx160 and you'll see what I mean. 150 will be more than enough power and there's heaps of mods out there to get more power out of the 150

Latest posts

Back