What to take when racing + advice for a rookie

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aero165

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a confession to make. I've never ridden a pit bike for more than 5 minutes and that would of been about ten years ago.

I've decided that racing them sounds like a hoot so I've gone out and bought a Motovert 160 Type R which should be arriving next week. I bought the bike second-hand down in Melbourne and my Dad boxed it up and it's being brought up by a furniture removal company that I've used to move interstate a few times. I cant wait! I've already bought some second hand Pro Taper handlebars off eBay for the bike, is there anything else I should get?

I'd imagine with the Motovert I'd be racing in some form of unlimited class? Is there another class that would be a bit more "Fun" and less "Serious"? I'd race that class too

I imagine you can guess that if I've never ridden a pit bike then I've never raced one either. My questions is, what are some items that I should take with me on the first race day that I might of otherwise overlooked...?

Fluid fluid and more fluid, not only for you but the bike as well ;) Protective gear - inc: pressure suit, boots, shin guards, knee guards, pants, helmet and gloves, spare rim and tyre (at least a rear), lens cleaner for the goggles, a resonable tool kit (allen key set, screwdriver set and socket set should keep you sorted) and last but least THE CAMERA :) and maybe a beer or 2 for the end of the day, but this is included in the fluids i mentioned above :p

I have Helmet, boots, goggles but no armour. Are Knee/shin the basics? Tonnes of tools, should be able to get a pit tent from work.

How necessary are spare rims and tires? Tubes too I'm guessing

Are there any girls that race in Brisbane as I'm trying to get my wife to race but she doesn't want to just race blokes

Nothings a neccesity (unless the rules state otherwise) i would deffinately recommend knee guards though, my knees collect everything from bars to dirt (this could also be cause im a giant, trying to ride a mini :) ) As for rims/tyres you could get away with a spare tube or 2, but i find it a real pain in the arse (i always take mine to a tire shop to do now) + if you have a tyre and tube already setup it's a 5min job to replace rather than 1hr or so (again just me and my spaztic tyre changing skillz) Oh yea, and a pit tent is a great idea :)

5mins or 20 years ya still a minirider lad, check ya bike after races for anything loose or hanging off, I think some of the boys on here run with 18psi in the rear tyre, your suspension setup will need to be changed, some of the boys on here may be able to guide you thru there setup as in compression and rebound adjustments. Goodluck

This is a pic of my pit tent
606_R02_girl_grid-article_image.jpg

(at least when the wifes not there :p)

^That's my 2x4, if you need more room you could look at something like a 10x20
Lithuania-MotoGP-Race-Girls-09.JPG

Now stop hijacking this thread people..... Jeez :p

Latest posts

Back