What tyres do you use?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Worm that's some good info. If you get a chance to talk to the tech again would you be able to find out what suits 2.15 x 12"? I've ordered some Bridgestones but for the sake of knowing what to by in future that info would be handy. Thanks

if your looking for correct fitment you will struggle to find something designed for a narrow rim. The most common motard specific rim I have noticed now days is 12" x 2.15 and I think you will find that they are designed to take something like a 90/90-12. If you look at this bridgestone site you will find that even the 100/90-12 wants a 2.5 wide rim
HOT MC :: Products :: BT-601SS

however what you will have to take into considering is that the bridgestone tyre having heaps better tread compound will outgrip the tyres you will find in 90/90-12 even tho they are not a correct fitment and won't have the correct contact patch.

There's a rider at Archerfield using a 1.60 or so and 1.85 rear rim with Bridgestones. Not recommending that but boy does he get some lean angle.

what sort of chicken strips does he have on his tyres?
if he still has some he would be much better going to a wider rim as he would get a better contact patch with the road and therefor better grip.
My understanding of the BT601ss is that they are a pure race tyre (thats what bridgestone says) meaning that they should be able to handle some pretty decent lean angles even on 2.5" rims as thats what they recommend.

I find on most good tyres you will generally run out of ground clearance (start dragging pegs) before you will run off the edge of the tyre. Well that applied to big bikes anyways.

btw Squeeby where are you getting your bridgestones from and how much are they costing you?

I had to order some 120 in as it was a 3 week wait for the 110!

Im getting them fitted as we speak... they might not even fit in my swing arm. I measured it up and i think they might rub on the chain guide and front suspension protectors.... doh....

Look for some cheap 120 pilot sports for sale lol

Mmm should check how his tyres are wearing. Linda from MSO has set me up with a nice deal, I'm buying a Pro and having the dirt rims/tyres replaced with a motard set up for a couple hundred.

couple hundred? what type tyre? must be pretty crap.... if ur gonna race dont get the crappy Ebay ones! Better off buying them yourself.... michelin would have to be best value for money IMO.... pilot powers stick awsome so i would imagine sports would also.

Bridgestone BT601SS and yes they are pretty crap :D

Just a little info boys...

Speaking with a couple mini motard racers and having experienced it myself the cheap ebay tyres work better than the Michelin's on the track.

Now you may be thinking this guy is mad what on earth is he talking about well i'll explain worm was right they don't fit too well and not only that but are very hard to get heat into so they just won't grab.

The ebay ones are made of nylon and heat up quicker than a pie in the microwave so they grip not to mention the fact they are 90/90 12 means they are nice good fit to most rims.

Trust me mate, I run the eBay nylon tyres and there is no way I can get the same lean angle as the guys on Bridgestones at the track. I will be getting the Bridgies so I'll give a first hand comparison.

Latest posts

Back