What's best for motard, 2.15/2.5 or 2.5/2.75?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krazed0451

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Just a quick question before I run out and grab a set of wheels... I have been offered a set of 2.5/2.5 wheels and was wondering if there are any handling considerations to be taken into account here? I'd presume 2.15/2.5 would be better and improve turn in etc.

Also, is anyone aware whether I could just upgrade things slightly and go 2.5/2.75 on Stock Nitrous forks/swinga? :D

Any help would be greatly appreciated, even if it's just info on what you run and how you think it handles :)

Thanks in advance guys!

Jimbo

Before anyone bites my head off for asking a question that has already been answered, I just thought I'd point out that since this thread was written I've seen a couple of guys have started running 2.5/2.75 rims.

You can also note I'm after specific information on whether it's worth getting the wider rims, handling characteristics etc and whether it's possible to squeezy the wider rims into stock Nitrous trim :)

If any mod objects to this being a separate thread, please move my question to the above mentioned thread :D

Thanks for any information in advance (or for shifting me ;))!

Snapple, that's what I suspected... Any input regarding handling with 2.5 front and back or the larger setup? :)

i have run 2.5 rear and its a squeeze getting the chain to fit past whilst trying to keep the wheel as centred as possible. sure you can use different spacers but i would not be wanting to offset the rear wheel as handle will be good one direction and not the other.

looking at i from another angle as well, is the profile of the tire when its mounted to different sizes. when running the 2.15 over the 2.5 front, the profile seems to be better as the contact patch of the tire is more when on the angle. the wider rim will flatten out the profile and not leave as much contact when lent over.

and to your other questions about do they fit, at the track on Wed night, someone had the new DHZ wheels DHZ Mini Moto
on and they worked, but i cant be sure if anything was change to fit them. the wheels are 2.5 front and 3.0 rear and where on a pitpro.
if you call dom at citymotorbike he can tell you how they fit as he put them on the bike that night.

hope this heaps a little man

Thanks Grnman!

Yeah, that's the sort of info I was after... I didn't even consider the wider rim flattening out the profile, or the rear having probs with the chain!

I guess I'll take the safe option and see if the guy can do a 2.25 front to go with the set.

I guess it's true what they say... Bigger isn't necessarily better ;)

+reps

i noticed a massive visual difference in the tire profile on the kids bike on Wed night. he had two of his bike there both running tt92's and i kept saying to sam-125cc shineray "is that a bigger tt92 on his new bike" but then i realised it was running a 3.0 rear compare to his other 2.5 on his other bike which was sitting side by side.

the bigger rim made the tire look fatter like a wheelbarrow wheel instead of being steeper in shape, where there is more tire surface on the edges.

Latest posts

Back