what's this for?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DvDRip

Mini Riders Legend
Reaction score
sorry for the stupid thread but I need to know what this bolt does, my dad just can't cure his curiosity of my bike so he keeps taking things of and breaking them, in this case he took the bolt out while he was fucking around with the cam chain and ever since then it makes a loud ticking noise
img0217x.jpg

so if it's taken out then put back in can that cause problems?

id double check the timing if you pulled the cam sprocket off or messed with timing chain?
also check you valve clearance's ticking can be caused by loose rocker's...

well my dad moved the timing forward one notch while I wasn't there, I told him to move it back and watched him do it, it didn't seem to line up perfectly with tdc & he just said it was normal (but he says allot of stuff is fine when it's completely screwed)
at the same time this was going on we were adjusting the valves so either one could be the cause I guess,
I put the valves at .003intake / .004exhaust..... surely that's not loose enough to cause a tick?

I'll double check both valves and timing tomorrow just to make sure

ok just been out and took the cylinder off, the head was off anyway, that bolt holds in place a small bout 3cm in diamet rubber roller that the cam chain runs along so if ya dad took that bolt out all the way then i might say that could have fallen and not be back in place, dont qoute me on that saying it could have but if it had of im not sure if it would be making that tickick noise,

timing marks HAVE to be spot on if not that ticking could be the valves hitting the piston...
make sure you check your timing mark's first and get it spot on then readjust your valves.

uve dropped the chain tensioner and now the chain has slack causing it to
A)jump teeth when its pushed
b)slapp around and god knows were ya rubber wheels gone lol

uve dropped the chain tensioner and now the chain has slack causing it to
A)jump teeth when its pushed
b)slapp around and god knows were ya rubber wheels gone lol

does anyone else agree with this?
does this mean I have to tear down the head to put the tensioner back in place?

yeah, u don't wanna remove that bolt, the rubber roller will drop out and cause problems. you have to take the head off to fix it to! tell your dad not to mess with shit he doesn't understand lol.

if you dont no whats going on and you need a forum to find out what a bolt dose id say take your bike to a mechanic before you or your dad stuff it up

the chain tensioner is the bolt under the gear shift...sorta at an angle. pulling out the roller bolt wont affect the tensioner....the ticking will be the rubber roller plaing silly buggers, chain slap, possibly, or valves hitting piston... dont ever let your dad touch your moto.

^^ i agree never let anyone else touch your moto, my mate learnt that the hard way (unless it a mech)

well the old mans been riding bikes since he was a teenager so at first I trusted him, but I learn't the hard way that he's well and truly lost his touch. $150 in repairs later I've told him to stay the fuck away from it.

146cc_outlaw.... there's only one way to learn and that's by getting in there and doing it, there's no way in hell I'm taking my bike to a mechanic when I'm perfectly capable of maintaining it myself

look i dont mean to be rude but why did your dad take the bolt out for and if your going to be maintaining or pulling down your own motor id get a second hand old engine to pull down and learn on first cos thing missing or in the wrong way or wrong size and you have and over sized paper wight

iv been rebuilding standard & race engines for a long time and iv seen ppl get cocky with these engines they look at them and go oh there only small i can fix this but 70% of the time they get if wrong do some research first on your engine and if your going to pull it apart maybe take photos as a step by step for your self so you no where it go's that always a good way to learn and there arealot of pics on the net of these motors pulled down

yep...i took my head off, put it back on then found the o-ring and washer from the bottom oil gallery on the ground... couldnt sleep til i took the head off again...

watching what you do, and taking your time does have its benefits...(it started raining on me:eek: rush rush.) mistakes just take more time and sometimes cost a heap.

mates suggestion with covers is to trace the outlines on a piece of cardboard and stab all your bolts through in appropriate places.

(and theres some mechanics i wouldnt take anything to...like the workshop at my place. um...how do you take a car for a test drive, and have the front wheel fall off two km down the road? causing car to roll? do you not feel that the wheel is loose? do you not check everything before its even off the hoist? my god...)

Last edited:
haha you could probly blame a work experiance kid on that one

I managed to get the roller back in place today.
I didn't have to tear down the head either, I just took the cam cover off and pushed it into place from there.

Latest posts

Back