Whats up guys, Its Been a while - need some help with boats

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roost666

Mini Riders Legend
Reaction score
Hey all,

Been a while since ive posted, Got made redundant at my old job so got a nice little payout and haven't looked back. Was unemployed for 4 hours and scored a job in my mates bike shop and have been working there ever since and loving it.

Got a few new toys, and some questions im hoping maybe some of you can answer.

Bought and sold a few bikes lately as now i get pretty decent opportunities to pick up cheap bikes and sell for profit.

First off i sold my 2009 YZ250, for a nice profit.
photo-12.jpg

Then i bought a 2010 CRF250R cheap as, Pics coming as i am in the middle of rebuilding it from the ground up, Lots of goodies going into this bike!

I then got myself a 2008 RM250,
photo-29.jpg

(my apologies for screwed up pic)

Then today i straight swapped the RM for this little skiboat.
photo-27.jpg

So now here comes the questions.

I have never owned a boat so im after maintenance tips, also i want a couple of knee boards, a wake board and a couple of biscuits, but all the fun stuff i just want as cheap as possible.

So where is the best place to get this stuff, any particular websites to go to or is ebay the cheapest as thats where im looking atm.

Cheers in advance

Got no advice for ya mate, but thats a sweet swap:)

cant say its sweet yet, have only had it running with a garden hose hooked up, will find out sunday when i get it on the lake.

I'd go get it looked at by a marine mechanic. How many hours on the engine will Indicate what service it is probably due for. Older boats the transom can rot/crack also take note how much water comes out of the bungs after a day on the lake.

First trip out in it make sure you have paddles incase the motor dies also check battery for how well it holds charge. Run through basic operation, ensure forward/reverse gears are operational, steering is free and not hard to turn, gauges work and are showing what you need to know, motor idles/revs cleanly. Once you are satisfied take it for a run around the lake, be sure to understand where you can drive and water depths & most lakes designate a direction to travel.

If you plan to pull people behind it get used to how much throttle it needs to get on a plane, how it handles on the plane, speed (don't need to be going full tilt pulling someone) and be happy that you can control the craft. Do some practice runs of recovering a person in the water, always approach on idle and cut engine when front of the craft has got to them to ensure no injuries.

I could write a novel with this sort of stuff as I got brought up around ski boats and lakes but this is basics to start you off. Good luck and be safe on the water

good to see you back here, first I'd be checking that transom and the stringers if you can see them, it looks to be a boat from around the early 70's and the engine aswell so I'd be keeping it in protected waters if I were you. Check for water in the hull after every trip by removing the bungs. Also as stated above check the gears work (forward and reverse) however this can only be checked properly of the engine is in the water. I say this because when I brought my outboard it would change into gear with no load on the prop (ie no water) but with load the dog clutch would skip the teeth, this meant a pulling the whole bottom leg apart.
Good luck with it all and just remember to have fun.

cheers for the replies, so wtf is a "transom"(im assuming forward and reverse) and the "stringers"(no fecking idea on that) lol excuse my noobness fellas.

Ive got a new battery in it so should be right with that, as far as boat structure it is A1, The motor is old and i knew that when i got it, I have a mate coming in his boat to test it with me in case of malfunctions, but haven't had a chance to pick his brain on this stuff yet.

Something to keep yas entertained, Mate leaving the pub today in style on his nightrod :)
Nightrod on the cool - YouTube

Nope your transom is the rear part of your the boat motors clamped or bolted to.

And the stringers is the sub frame in the flooring, both of which can rot over the years if the boat hasn't been looked after ( left out in the weather for the last 15 years!) also if its a sandwich hull tie a bit of fishing line between the bungs it'll save you time wasted on looking for the bloody bungs especially if your washing her down in the dark!

cheers for the replies, so wtf is a "transom"(im assuming forward and reverse) and the "stringers"(no fecking idea on that) lol excuse my noobness fellas.

Ive got a new battery in it so should be right with that, as far as boat structure it is A1, The motor is old and i knew that when i got it, I have a mate coming in his boat to test it with me in case of malfunctions, but haven't had a chance to pick his brain on this stuff yet.

Something to keep yas entertained, Mate leaving the pub today in style on his nightrod :)
Nightrod on the cool - YouTube
haha, top stuff, its not the first time he's done that:)

hahaha yeah you can tell by the way it all panned out that's not the first time and probs wont be the last... hahaha

Nope your transom is the rear part of your the boat motors clamped or bolted to.

And the stringers is the sub frame in the flooring, both of which can rot over the years if the boat hasn't been looked after ( left out in the weather for the last 15 years!) also if its a sandwich hull tie a bit of fishing line between the bungs it'll save you time wasted on looking for the bloody bungs especially if your washing her down in the dark!

ahhh yes i get you now, The guy i got it off had receipts dated from november 2012 where the transom was replaced/repaired.

Yeah i pulled all the floor out when i looked at it, Boat is in really good condition.

Thanks for you help.

Cant wait to see some pics of the crf250 i just bought a crf250r 2010 love to see what you are doing o yours :)
sorry i cant help with the boat questions.
got any minis atm?

okay im not much of a boat man but i noticed one thing wrong with the photo so maybe try this web site it may help lol ford.com.au lol just jokes

haha screw the fords.

Found a minor issue with the boat motor, It leaks fuel out of the carb, as it has sat for a while im assuming the needle and seat maybe stuck, other than that it seems to run fine ive only had it running with the hose hooked up to it though.

Took me 3 months of saving $$$ to blow on my race bike for this year, Finally here it is, first race this sunday :) so keen.

2010 CRF250R
Full Yoshimura RS4 pipe
PIM2 Yoshimura map system
Stage 2 hot cam
Talon hubs and RHK Rims
Custom Graphics
Racetech Gold Valves(forks and Shock)

photo_zpsd3a3bfc8.jpg

photo_zps4c508e8f.jpg

Latest posts

Back