Which 250 4 banger??????????

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
all yamaha haters come out with the dodgy gear box talk

And all the yamaha lovers start going about valves problems in the Honda's when it only effects a certain %. What's your point? Feel free to elaborate by all means. ;)

Apparently the primary shaft is too strong for those 2 gears and it can shear the teeth off the weak gears. This tends to happen more when the bike is used for Trail Riding purposes as opposed to MX. Get that back wheel spinning and hit some bituman or some firm ground and it can happen. Just passing on what I have heard.

Every 250f bike has it's good and bad points. I only commented on the two I have actually ridden (a couple of different year models) not raced against or seen. My house mate is the complete opposite. Each to their own. Whatever works for you.

I agree with Thump. Go a 125 2T. Less maintencence. Cheaper rebuilds. Either that or an Enduro model which isn't quite as maintanence heavy.

Last edited:
plus a 125 two-banger is a much easier way to ease you into learning how to ride quickly, and learning how a motorbike works...
I cant say i would have been capable of either doing all the maintenance on a new generation thumper with my first "Big Boys" bike, or riding it anywhere near it's capabilities...
and for those thinking the 250F's are slow... take a look at lap times at your next race meeting... the Lites pilots are circulating as quick or quicker than the fourfifs.... and anyone on here who reckons they can strangle a fourfif around an mx track for longer than what they can on a 250F, clearly exercises their arms too much.... :p

Ah...Now im back to square 1 lol...dont know what i want! :$
But a 125 2 banger is out of the question...sure it would be fun..but not for long i dont think lol. then id have to sell that bike and upgrade...

i have 4 mates that own YZ-F's and all of them had gearbox issues, thats yamaha's flaw.....honda have a valve flaws.......but both manufacture's seem to have sorted these issues out in the later models......KTM are great bikes but really costly to maintain/rebuild.....haven't much to do with KXF's and RMZ's but have rode a couple and they seem pretty good but didnt get much seat time......mate pick a colour you like find a clean tidy bike and buy the sucker......if you did do honda dont buy anything older than 06.

my 2 cents

i have 4 mates that own YZ-F's and all of them had gearbox issues, thats yamaha's flaw.....honda have a valve flaws.......but both manufacture's seem to have sorted these issues out in the later models......KTM are great bikes but really costly to maintain/rebuild.....haven't much to do with KXF's and RMZ's but have rode a couple and they seem pretty good but didnt get much seat time......mate pick a colour you like find a clean tidy bike and buy the sucker......if you did do honda dont buy anything older than 06.

my 2 cents

have you ridden a 125 two stroke to it's absolute potential mate?? he he... takes years to be able to ride any bike to its maximum potential... been riding for 27 years, and i still wont claim to be able to ride my 4fif at it's limit everywhere... he he..
The actual power delivery and performance of a 250 thumper would probably be your best bet, but, and it's a big BUT, maintaining a 250 thumper is not for the inexperienced or the light of wallet.... :D
if you like the power of a 4fif, get a 250 two stroke...
even better, go out and take ALL of them for a decent ride... ie 125, 250F, 250 2t and 4fif on the sort of tracks you are intending to ride... cause at the end of the day, asking which bike is best for you, is like asking which woman should be your wife...
(ps: the right answer, is it's the one you can yourself riding for years and years, without the want of replacing it straight away....) ha ha ha ha

my 2 cents
lol, must be the taswegian YZ-F's that had gearbox issues... ha ha..
We've had 5 YZ-f's in the family over the years, '99 400, '00 426, '01 250, '02 250 and '06 450... The only problem we've had with any of them was the 426 blew a clutch basket.. and that was after three seasons of racing... the 400 also did 3 race seasons, and has only required one rebuild at the end of season 2.. (rings only, oil ring started getting blow by). The 400, has also never had it's valve clearances done, and still fires straight away, and beats the 450 in 3rd gear roll ons. (obviously the only time it excels over the 450.. ha ha!) To be honest, i think we've just been VERY, VERY lucky with our bikes, particularly the 400, being the oldest, and with the most hours on the clock.. Not at all, saying the Yammies dont have inherit gearbox issues, but have never experienced nor heard of them.
Roost do you know off hand what years suffered the gearbox issues? I'm assuming the mid-naughties 450's?? Those things were brutal..

I have come to the conclusion that Danity should buy a Husaberg 500FE...
Or failing that, a VOR503... Best beginners bike, EVER... lol ;) easiest to start too... *giggle*

have you ridden a 125 two stroke to it's absolute potential mate?? he he... takes years to be able to ride any bike to its maximum potential... been riding for 27 years, and i still wont claim to be able to ride my 4fif at it's limit everywhere... he he..
(ps: the right answer, is it's the one you can yourself riding for years and years, without the want of replacing it straight away....) ha ha ha ha

You said it...No i havent ridden a 125 2 banger to its absolute potential, so what lol? did you have to ride all your bikes to theyre full potential before you went to your 4fiddy? do you ride your 4fiddy to its full potential?
But then again you said just what i was thinking, A bike i want, But one i wont wanna replace straight away....which ill wanna replace a 125...

Or failing that, a VOR503... Best beginners bike, EVER... lol ;) easiest to start too... *giggle*

Lol no thx...Keep your pretty coloured bikes to yourself.

if you did do honda dont buy anything older than 06.

Why's that Roost? Valve problems?

i have always had crf250r's and there awesome, and there not as bad as people say they are. are you getting a run out 2009 or a 2010?

Have fun with 3rd and 4th gear!! YZ250F's have the WORST gearboxes of any 250. Just a point to note if that doesn't bother you. Suspension is average at best compared to all other bikes.

I would go a CRF250 anyday over one. Rather do some stainless SS valves once than the gearbox which can keep happening and have wicked suspension and unreal brakes.

Every bike will have some weak points. Better off knowing most of them before you choose rather than a one eyed view. Can't comment on other brands as I haven't ridden them (rode an RM250f or whatever it is and was good but motor shat itself lol).

The enduro bikes have exactly the same suspension as their MX counterparts. Just set softer from the factory (well in Honda's case). The CAM/wide range gearbox/headlight/ADR is where the main differences are.

lol, must be the taswegian YZ-F's that had gearbox issues... ha ha..
We've had 5 YZ-f's in the family over the years, '99 400, '00 426, '01 250, '02 250 and '06 450... The only problem we've had with any of them was the 426 blew a clutch basket.. and that was after three seasons of racing... the 400 also did 3 race seasons, and has only required one rebuild at the end of season 2.. (rings only, oil ring started getting blow by). The 400, has also never had it's valve clearances done, and still fires straight away, and beats the 450 in 3rd gear roll ons. (obviously the only time it excels over the 450.. ha ha!) To be honest, i think we've just been VERY, VERY lucky with our bikes, particularly the 400, being the oldest, and with the most hours on the clock.. Not at all, saying the Yammies dont have inherit gearbox issues, but have never experienced nor heard of them.
Roost do you know off hand what years suffered the gearbox issues? I'm assuming the mid-naughties 450's?? Those things were brutal..

hahaha taswegian's thats funny.......they were the older models and all were 250f's im pretty sure two of em were 03's one was a 05 and the other was an 01, that being said they were all bought 2nd hand and they have never missed a beat since they was fixed....im not trying to take the piss outa yami's or anything was just letting you know that i have seen them with the problems you hadn't heard of...

You said it...No i havent ridden a 125 2 banger to its absolute potential, so what lol? did you have to ride all your bikes to theyre full potential before you went to your 4fiddy? do you ride your 4fiddy to its full potential?
But then again you said just what i was thinking, A bike i want, But one i wont wanna replace straight away....which ill wanna replace a 125...

Lol no thx...Keep your pretty coloured bikes to yourself.

Why's that Roost? Valve problems?

Well yes and no, i have seen some 04 and 05 models that are just plain pigs and are forever needing valves, But i had an 04 and hammered it for 2 years and only replaced the valves once but shimed them twice before i replaced them and 3 times after replacing them so it was due for another set when i sold it......another reason is that 04 and 05's are getting old these days, they might look good but have probably had a bit of a flogging and bits and pieces will need replacing if you know what i mean, clutch would be tiered, barrel might be on its last legs etc etc.....but if you found one that had a full service history and the owner gave you proof of a recent rebuild etc and the bike was tidy and been looked after then that would be an option, just look around dont buy the first bike you see and like just shop around before buying.

Not at all, saying the Yammies dont have inherit gearbox issues, but have never experienced nor heard of them.

I know with the 450's and the 426's this is a common problem as well. My mates 02 426 sitting in my shed has this exact problem. It's actually quite common especially 4th on the 450's. The 08's where shocking for this. From another site I use, there are numerous threads with people experiencing problems.

Again it's the same as the Honda valves, some people experience the problem, other's don't.

the way honda have designed the cam it makes the inlet valve practicaly dump from open to shut, hence why they always have & always will eat inlet valves... untill they change it

there is no debate on this it is FACT. but i have seen some last for over 200 hours & some last for 5 hours

did you have to ride all your bikes to theyre full potential before you went to your 4fiddy? do you ride your 4fiddy to its full potential?
?
Yes. Yes i do ride my 4fif to it's full potential.. Then i wake up.. ha ha.. Nah, i did state quite clearly that i dont ride the 4fif to it's limit... but i did have 25 years of riding up my sleeve before i bought it.. had a wee bit of practise.. ;) That, and i've proved with the stop watch i'm actually quicker on a big bike than a lil one... i'm what people call "lazy" with the clutch and throttle... why use a run-up, clutch and a gazillion revs to clear a 60ft double, when a blip on the throttle and seat bounce will do it.. he he

hahaha taswegian's thats funny.......they were the older models and all were 250f's im pretty sure two of em were 03's one was a 05 and the other was an 01, that being said they were all bought 2nd hand and they have never missed a beat since they was fixed....im not trying to take the piss outa yami's or anything was just letting you know that i have seen them with the problems you hadn't heard of...

didnt see it as yammie bashing mate, it's actually good to hear what problems bikes have, especially when you own a few of those particular bikes... I should probably consider myself very lucky i've not had any of those issues with my bikes... especially the 400... i think that one musta been built on a monday, to show to Yamaha managers or something, cause 10 years on, it's still a scary weapon to ride!!

the way honda have designed the cam it makes the inlet valve practicaly dump from open to shut, hence why they always have & always will eat inlet valves... untill they change it

there is no debate on this it is FACT. but i have seen some last for over 200 hours & some last for 5 hours

The newer SS valve's they are installing 100% solve these problems. The others are 2 weak. You right that is the root cause to the problem but this is a solution whichi solves it. I have done 2500km's since my were done with no problems. Clearences are fine. There is not 1 person I have heard of that has had problems after intalling these valves. Although they are expensive (like $250 each).

The newer SS valve's they are installing 100% solve these problems. The others are 2 weak. You right that is the root cause to the problem but this is a solution whichi solves it. I have done 2500km's since my were done with no problems. Clearences are fine. There is not 1 person I have heard of that has had problems after intalling these valves. Although they are expensive (like $250 each).

Can you install these new valves on older model bikes?? ( 04 - 05 model )
Cheers

Yes the steel kits are available for all models, i have the hondas in stock 99% of the time so your bike should have no troubles

$250 each for Steel vales!!!! i got the kits x2 valves & 2 springs for $200 & they are of the highest quality...

do you work at a bike shop Motovertman?

crf250 all the way, just dont get a 04 or 05 model as they had a few small probs, I got a 08 and I thrash tha F%## outa it all the time and it loves it.

Oh and also...This Yamaha gearbox problem...IF i do get a yammy, and it DOES happen, How MUCH would it be to repair approx?
Cheers
Dan

Latest posts

Back