Which 250cc bike would you buy for 1k??

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matty_02

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm new to this forum and pretty new to motorbikes.
Me and a few mates are looking at buying new 250cc bikes at about the 1k mark.

I've looked around heaps on ebay and stuff and i'm leaning towards an Atomik Fury 250cc.

NEW ATOMIK FURY 250CC PIT DIRT BIKE MOTOR THUMPSTAR - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 29-Mar-08 21:30:00 AEDST)

Now i've got no idea about bikes, but i like the fact this one is Water cooled, and its got 14kw of power whereas most others have 11kw or 12.5

Any advice or help from all you guys would be awesome, just want a good quick reliable bike to learn on.

Thanks in advance, look forward to your replies.
Cheers
Matty

i wouldnt buy the cheap chinese 250s, they aint any good, your better of buying a 140mini bike for that little it more

Ok, now i'm tossing up between the Atomik Fury and this Tomahawk.

NEW 250CC TOMAHAWK G4 HUMMER pit dirt trail motor bike - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 28-Mar-08 19:45:00 AEDST)

Interesting thing they wrote in this advert on ebay. It reads.

****Beware of those claiming to have water cooled bikes, with 14KW of power! Zongshen do not yet sell Overhead Cam engines with a water cooling option. So if you are looking at a water cooled bike with a Zongshen engine, it will be a standard push rod, pulling only 12.5KW of power****

I got no idea about motorbikes lol how true is this?

Cheers
Matt

Hey pitproxr,

Thanks for your opinion.

But i'm pretty set on getting a 250cc.
Few mates and cousins have proper Kawaski 250s and 400s, i wanna go riding with them and not slow them down.
Thats the main reason i want a full sized bike, but i'm only willing to spend the about 1k or a little more.

Cheers
Matt

Ok, now i'm tossing up between the Atomik Fury and this Tomahawk.

NEW 250CC TOMAHAWK G4 HUMMER pit dirt trail motor bike - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 28-Mar-08 19:45:00 AEDST)

Interesting thing they wrote in this advert on ebay. It reads.

****Beware of those claiming to have water cooled bikes, with 14KW of power! Zongshen do not yet sell Overhead Cam engines with a water cooling option. So if you are looking at a water cooled bike with a Zongshen engine, it will be a standard push rod, pulling only 12.5KW of power****

I got no idea about motorbikes lol how true is this?

Cheers
Matt

I have a Tomahawk G4,has been a good bike so far no major drama's.

The atomik Kuda Pro is the same bike,just different stickers.

even if you are on a china 250 u will still slow them down they only have like 15kw and kawasakis have like 42 if its a 2 stroke and 32 if its a 4 stroke so i will never keep up with them in one of these mate

LoL i know, i'd have no chance of actually keeping up with a real bike. But at least we can have a bit of fun without holding them up too much.

I've been riding my first bike, which is a 200cc Motox bike for about 2 months now and picked it up pretty good. I wanna upgrade to a 250cc, something bigger and a little more powerful. Which is why i'm looking at the above bikes.

Does anyone know if theres any truth in the comment about there being no 14kw engine watercooled out there?

Cheers
Matty

1k get a atomik nitrous 140cc or 150cc for 1k and thats yx 150 16hp pretty much more then the 250cc hammer crap.

if u have a cheap chinese 250 off ebay it will be shit wat u need 2 do is maybe get and old honda xr250 like even an 84 model or sumtin for around 1500 u should be able 2 get a good reliable bike thats where im heading

LoL i know, i'd have no chance of actually keeping up with a real bike. But at least we can have a bit of fun without holding them up too much.

I've been riding my first bike, which is a 200cc Motox bike for about 2 months now and picked it up pretty good. I wanna upgrade to a 250cc, something bigger and a little more powerful. Which is why i'm looking at the above bikes.

Does anyone know if theres any truth in the comment about there being no 14kw engine watercooled out there?

Cheers
Matty

Hi Matty,

If you get the Hummer - you'll keep up with the average Jap trail bike in the bush no worries! We've all ridden trails with Honda XR's and the like - and there's no problem trading revs with them what-so-ever.

So don't be too quick to believe the China-phobia bullshitters - most of these guys got pissed off because they failed mechanics 1-01 and couldn't put their bike together properly!!

In reality, many Jap dual sport and trail bikes don't have that many KWs over the New Zongshen engines - it's only when you go to the full-on Jap and European motocross bikes, you find a big difference.

Jap motocross machines are set up to the very limit of the engineering and material endurance - which is why you get stuck with having to re-build the bloody engines at the end of each racing season. Some of the sponsored teams even re-build after every comp!!

I think I'm right in saying the Honda XR (one of the most respected trail bikes ever built) only outputs around 18 -20Kw If you take your time to upgrade a few items on the Hummer and keep up with the maintenance - you won't notice much practical performance difference between the two!

Weegee (Going to Try the new G4 Hummer thread - last page) Just reported on traveling hundreds of klicks in the bush with his Hummer and a Honda XR - and he had no problems at all keeping up.

So so when these guys go on about their Jap trail bikes outputting 40 Kws like the motocross jobs - don't fall for that crap because most of the time they just plain bloody don't!

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmm a new hummer that i know with a few mods will be ok against a 84 xr that could have had anything done to it. Know which 1 i would pick

there is 1 really good 250cc big bike. atomik 250cc and it is watercooled aswell. one of my mates mate, has one and i see him flying down creeks and roads. gives his bike everything. but im not to sure of price

I recon the FURY or basically the same is the PITPRO 250, except for the watercooled engine. Im not sure what the new watercooled engines are like. Look pretty trick though.
For after sales service I would say PitPro, from personal experience. But Atomic could be as good, but I have never dealt with them so I dont know.

Hey gents,

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice.
To give you all an update, i ended up purchasing this bike below

NEW 2008 250CC TOMAHAWK KX pit dirt trail motor bike - eBay Other Trail Bikes, Trail Bikes, Motorcycles, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 29-Mar-08 21:15:00 AEDST)

I was tossing up between this bike and the G4 Hummer. I just liked the look of the KX a whole lot more, so thats why i went for it.

As for the specs and engine, it all seems pretty much the same as the G4 anyway. Or am i wrong??

Rob, you need a special thanks.
Blokes like youdeserve the credit when spending time to help out others.

The new bike should hopefully arrive in the next week or so. And i'll be spending alot of time really making sure its put together properly.

PS - If anyone has the same bike i just purchased, or knows anyone who has one. What has been your thoughts on it?

Thanks again
Matty

Latest posts

Back