Which bike to Buy? Dual Sports

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GooseMan

Reaction score
Hey, I know this is a mini forum but I like here so sorry for all my fullsize bike talk.

Anyway, I'm looking at getting a new bike, something in near new condition or brand new (not sure yet). There are three bikes in my mind, Without having rode any yet at the top of my list is the fuel injected RMX450, then a WR450 and lastly a ktm450 (not sure which ktm though). What are peoples thoughts on these bike and recommendations.
Don't want to spend all my money and regret it is all:captain:

But have you seen these?!?
SO-SUZUKI%20RMX450Z.jpg

A WR450 IS COMPLETELY BULLET PROOF cant killem!
they are a good bike ive put 2 or 3 together when i was working at the yamaha dealer! trust me and trust yamaha!!!! :p

there is not many stickers on them... its all imprinted in the plastics! it feels and looks soooo good!
go for the wr450 and you wont be disapointed! + its a wheeliemobile :D

Yea, the WR's are bulletproof. Yamaha's 5V technology is unbeatable both in reliability and power. KLX is good, out of the options you mentioned, i would choose either KLX or WR.

But please do not get a crf450x.

Yea, the WR's are bulletproof. Yamaha's 5V technology is unbeatable both in reliability and power. KLX is good, out of the options you mentioned, i would choose either KLX or WR.

But please do not get a crf450x.
^Wasn't gonna, I think thier a little out dated now myself, and I'm gonna have to look into this 5v tech your taklin bout. Is that like 5 valves?

Last edited:
Been looking into dualsport/trail oriented bike for a while now...
just got off a ktm 500 / husaberg 501 Today.. Heaps of grunt that you can only really use/**** yourself with on roads or fast sections with high grip, i was on a farm and with a little rain and slightly worn knobbies it was a pig to ride because it would prefer to spin rather than use the power.. But when it did hook up it would take off like a rocket and mono whenever you wished..

also ridden the 450 version.. same thing but with less torque and more rev happy...

Dont forget rebuilds every 100 hrs.

My conclusion.. wr 450 Spot on.. little less power than the 500 (7hp or something) Longer rebuilds (i hear around 300 hrs) And the parts are bound to be cheaper and if you want some more punch then go a yz cam and different pipe..
The reason why im looking for a well priced wr...

Could also go a drz400 but i like a weapon when the trail opens up. not a old mans bike.. if i was to do heaps of road k's i would also consider a xr 600 but there heavy but you's never need to rebuild it

^Wasn't gonna, I think thier a little out dated now myself, and I'm gonna have to look into this 5v tech your taklin bout. Is that like 5 valves?

yea. im pretty sure both YZs and WRs run the same head, just a different cam. like Zwebx said, you can put a YZ can and pipe on, it should all fit up

yea. im pretty sure both YZs and WRs run the same head, just a different cam. like Zwebx said, you can put a YZ can and pipe on, it should all fit up
yz's run higher compression..
For a good reason too probably ring life is affected in the long term (say 100 hrs)
Could bolt on a gtyr head for a extra 3 grand..

I think the reason the 5 valves last so long is that the valves are able to be kept cool enough with decent piston clearance too.. Cam chains do wear outif thinking of buying second hand... unless its already in a box and the price is right (been waiting for one for a while now) dont want to be buying one and finding it needs the bottom end rebuilt etc..

supertenere-2.jpg

This is what i would get if i was looking at a "dual-sport". However, i thin k you might be chasing a registerable dirt bike? In which case i'd be getting myslef a 2smoke. Main reason being you can get a 300 and under without sacrificing the power of a 450, AND you get to pay dirt cheap rego , AND there a piece of piss to rebuild. But if you really want the 450 then a WR wouldn't be too bad, or there is the DR650 big n heavy but un-breakable and with a decent rider they can make quite a decent dirt-bike
[video=youtube;spAq8JuXVUY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spAq8JuXVUY[/video]
maybe due just to the rider :p

Well I'm leaning towards a wr450 now, will have to test ride some biked now. Whilst that would be nice to have timeeh I think it's a tad too expensive, and like you said, I'm more after a dirt bike. Probably get some motards for it.

Well I'm leaning towards a wr450 now, will have to test ride some biked now. Whilst that would be nice to have timeeh I think it's a tad too expensive, and like you said, I'm more after a dirt bike. Probably get some motards for it.
They are expensive new.. However the wr 426's are very similar to any pre 2010 models (i think) and around 3k..

Tbh all 450's are on the heavier side and the only time i would really have my fun with them is when the trail or road opens up and i have the throttle open at around 70kphs questioning if there is going to be a rock or a bump up a head that i cant lift the front wheel over :p I love it personally..

In the tight stuff its quite alot harder to ride.. infact for around the farm and tight trails i would prefer a 250

A good compromise would be a ktm 350 or something.. or a wr 250

But theres a reason im looking for a wr 450 and not a 250 :p also you can be lazier on those medium not challenging trails but when **** gets tight i would find myself tired from throwing it around so much and having to back off the throttle in hill climbs to get it to hook up.. the 450 for me is a cheaper ktm 300 (in service) but i certainly would love one of them also because they have more tourque than a 250 2t and its all heaps tractable but rebuilds at 50 to 100 hrs on a adventure bike is too little hence why wr..

I just want a dirt bike thats light, heaps pokey not insane... that i can jump on every weekend and go for a squirt in local bush without getting done and without a trailer.. also wouldnt mind hitting a track from time to time..

Yeah I don't want a 250 only because I'll do a bit if travel in the road especially with motards, and I live in the hills so mostly 80 - 100kph

Yeah radelaide hills!! Nothing like a good ride through the twisties! I would go the WR Mate in my opinion and it's easy enough to get some rims for them

MINI MENACE MX

Latest posts

Back