Which oil?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been a few debates about which oil is best and there are a few different opinions on the subject. We might have to put all the info together in one thread and sticky it because its a common question.

Mxrider23: If you are happy with the oil you use and you have no clutch or gearbox issues then thats fine, there is no need to get defensive about it and abuse other members for their opinions. Comparing your Lifan to your friends Lifan will not give you a plausible outcome on which oil is better for engine life.
Some people prefer to use a bike specific oil such as Motul, some prefer car oils and some even prefer diesel oils so in the end its up to you which way to go.

There are many good write ups that go into a lot more detail about oils but heres one I saved a while back because I thought it was an interesting read:

The Truth about using Automotive Oil in your Motorcycle

There have been a few debates about which oil is best and there are a few different opinions on the subject. We might have to put all the info together in one thread and sticky it because its a common question.

There are many good write ups that go into a lot more detail about oils but heres one I saved a while back because I thought it was an interesting read:

The Truth about using Automotive Oil in your Motorcycle

Thats a great ider I_THUMP but we could have a poll that doesn't expire so members in the future can still vote and hopefully future mods will edit it accordinly, it'll also be good for a little debate on which is best for which engine and capacity. I'll start the thread if you like and if I miss anything you can edit it in.

BTW Mxrider23 your going to get yourself in the shit. Everybody is entitled to their own opinoin if you don't like it keep it to yourself or say it in a not so abusive way. There are little kids that come on this fourm and also future members might see your posts and have bad thoughts about this fourm which is a bad very bad thing.

Last edited:
LOL!!!!!! got a hell of a laugh out of this thread!! mxrider23 you spanker of a child!!

so who's the one trying to be tough on the net?
so where ya from? looks like we need to meet in person and see how much of a keyboard warrior you really are

Last edited by a moderator:
jerry jerry

man i've got something that will contradict all of you

My mate has a ducar 125 it's 5 years something like that it's had one oil change yes you read right 1 and that was about 18 months ago you know had to get rid of the china oil eventually

freak of a motor that one

personally i have used synthetic, semi synthetic, mineral heaps of brand trying to find the best
here's what i found

the synthetic was no good burnt to much and leaves way to much carbon on the piston
mind you you dont really notice clutch slip untill you pull it apart a slipping clutch will show signs of wear and burn

semi synth is what i use now sorta it's a mineral oil with some synthetic additives (shell sx4) tried em all and this is the best no clutch slip and real good wear properties

mineral oil is good but it carbons up quicker than above no clutch slip but have to change it regularly so costs

now mx rider for someone who worked on bike should know better than to care what oil is in ya bike i find some better than others in different motors there's no exact science when it come to it

and if i see that language from you again your out of here

Yeah coolie I have owned some freaky black Lifan 125 motors that just kept going with no oil change until about 6 months and maybe only 1 more oil change since then. Those motors got thrashed by all the boys for about 2 years with no engine problems at all.

As for that idiot Mxrider I will ban him later coz he was warned but he still decided to be a goose.

weirdest thing i ever seen was an old HQ V8.... the guy had never changed the oil:eek: and lived up in the NT.

moved down here to sydney, and the local mechanic gave it a going over. checked the oil.... decided it could do with a few litres... filled her up to the appropriate mark on the dipstick(not overfull, just what its meant to have in it...)

engine pooped itself the next day.... explanations please?

yes, it had been running dry with no problems for near on twenty years....

Latest posts

Back