Will 15w - 50w Oil Be fine in the MSO?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sidney

Reaction score
Hey I bough 4 litres of Castrol oil today. Later on at home I realised it was 15w - 50w oil. Will it still run ok in the MSO XR7?

Last edited:
P04-25-07_16-2.jpg

Lol, dont know why im posting in here.. Just saying to ya I have next to no idea!

I went to K-mart before looking for some oil.. I grabbed a big thing like that of 10w40 4 stroke oil and found it was for seaboats or some shit and it was semi synthetic or something.. So i put it back.. I think its better just to trust the oil they sell at a motorbike shop.

IMO it will be ok for running in. It is quite hard to find 10w 40 mineral oil and I ran my MSO in on MOTUL 1000 which is not 10w 40 (I cant remember exactly what it is) and mine is fine.

The pit bike shop up the road reckon that castrol stuff is the stuff to use. I'D just use it if I were u. I use silkolene 10-40 but I am not sure it its right either.

AAHHhhH yOour goTt NothIng to WoOryr boUuUt manN its FiInne I BeEn UsiNg Big boOre oil 25-50 bike still went hard lol but if ur bikes still runing in its not good but if your done more than 5 tanks 15 50 shouldnt be a prop

AAHHhhH yOour goTt NothIng to WoOryr boUuUt manN its FiInne I BeEn UsiNg Big boOre oil 25-50 bike still went hard lol but if ur bikes still runing in its not good but if your done more than 5 tanks 15 50 shouldnt be a prop

plz do not write like that mate it just makes it hard to read, not cool.....

i got 20-50w i think. valvoline (sp?) just make sure its not synthetic. these engine dont like synthetic oil. it has to be mineral based
(i think thats what its called)

Ben.

i have 3 stroke outboard oil in my bike it works fine better then the shize that comes in it

I thought I was the only one whith a 3 stroke its good to here that there another 3 stroke rider we will have to hook up and go for a ride on our 3 stroke's someday [jokes]

Last edited:
just run motul 5100..how hard is that? best quality oil for pitty's. i only use otul in both my bikes.

unless you are riding in really cold weather it will be fine, the main thing that can go wrong is when you buy oil made for cars it may contain friction modifiers that will make your clutch slip, if that happens go and buy some real bike oil.

I second the use motul 5100.

Dom who runs City Motorbikes down here in Ferntree Gully runs his race bikes on the noname brand stuff you buy at safeway and coles. I happen to know this is Shell 20/50 and good enough. If he runs it in his race bikes, it'll be fine for most people. Cheap too at about 10 bucks for 5 litres.

I have been told from a number of sources that synthetic oils aren't the best for these bikes, mineral oils suit them better. can't say why, but I have heard it from a couple of good sources.

If you are going to use the cheap stuff, make sure you replace it after every ride/weekend, it'll degrade and lose viscosity alot quicker than more expensive oils. ;)

You'd be surprised. My dad works in the automotive industry, knows the guy who's in charge of a lot of the oils coming into the country etc. a lot of the stuff is the same with different packaging. Shell 20w50 is what I put in all my cars and bikes. They run fine, no real difference. The only time I'd use different is if the bike specifically wanted 10/40. My old VTR1000 was the only bike that seemed a bit finicky. 20/50 made it harder to start believe it or not, 10/40 made it much easy.

Latest posts

Back