Winter project - 'needs a name...'

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ash.onmtb

Reaction score
So I've got some spare time, after a lot of projects have come to completion, and with some time over winter, I thought it would be good to get the pile of parts lurking in the corner of my shed into a usable form.

A while ago, I bought this group of parts (couldn't really call it a bike) from someone off this forum who's name escaped me. He was glad to free up his shed, and I figured I'd have something to tinker with. Fast forward a few years, and its time to get this thing rockin.. Well, I'll accept starting, and go from there.

So I want to build a putt putt for the wife... A while back some of us got a donation from K.Rudd. I believed I was getting one, and it was just delayed, so I conned the lovely lady into parting with hers which I turned into a pitpro. In the good books for a while, before it became clear that I wasn't going to get a handout... Uh oh...

So, after making the pitpro a bit to twitchy for the novice female, time has come to make her something that she can ride safely and happily, so she can come play too...

Requirements of this bike are
#1 - must start reliably!!
#2 Mustn't be inclined to wheelstand at the drop of a hat, or wrist
#3 Gotta look neat apparently...

Now the main reason for this thread is that I know nothing about this bike... So I'm going to need the combined brains trust on this forum, and hopefully some of your generosity with cheap parts! The budget is basically zero, the quality of parts required is best described as reliable (not err, performance?) - do you see what I'm saying here? Cheap and cheerful, and happy to put in the elbow grease to make it come together...

So, whis is what I got...

2012-05-30194326.jpg

2012-05-30194354.jpg

So, what have I got, and what have you got for me :)

Looks like you have a start to a bike anyway

Nice looking exhaust you have there too, Just what im looking for dammit

Put up a list of what you need, I have a few bits n pieces im getting rid of

How bout miss winterbottom!

made me laugh, nice, Winterbottom for now it is :)

Working out a parts list as we speak. Need to lock away a few details first tho. Anyone know what sort of engine that is? I've got a cover from a 140 yx motor that fits on the stator side so I'm going to guess either lifan 125 (got 124 stamped on the heat sink) or more likely yz 125?

sounds like it has compression (a good start) but only feels like it has 3 gears? Would I be right?

The swingarm looks like poo, so that has to go.

Need some wheels

Need some brakes (F + R)

Need some pegs and the bracket they mount on

Need a carby to suit, or at least that cast elbow to get that mikuni copy to fit. Actually scratch that, I need a carby thats going to help with the 'reliable starting) element to the build. Oko's, mikuni genuine, suggestions?

Need handle bar risers

Need axles for wheels

Need chain and rollers, and chain guide

That'd be a good start I guess?!

Standing here in the shed trying to work out where to start... Stripping it??

(mods, should this be moved to chinese minis?)

Yeah mods may move it to Chinese mini section? You should also do a thread in the wanted section>

Want To Buy - Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

http://www.miniriders.com/want-buy/34456-wanted-layout-please-use-your-thread-will-deleted.html

http://www.miniriders.com/want-buy/35845-new-build-parts-needed.html#post380373

Anyway that looks to be a CRF 50 or 70 style frame setup? Is that correct?

I have a complete 14" front wheel, Black rim & black hub with the tyre on it pumped up & ready to run, It suits a 12mm axle, I also have a set of front & rear 12mm axles, Need to know what length & size axles you need? 12mm or 15mm?

I also have a complete set of gold upside down forks with triple clamps & bar risers / mounts

let me know if your interested in the axles & wheel?

Yeah when I here the name winterbottom I think Cold ass

Just got started on my build thread too>

http://www.miniriders.com/china-builds/35841-thumpinozs-build.html#post380354

To be honest, I don't know the difference...?! What would I look for??!! Its probably going to be important that I know the difference in future eh! :)

Needing a 12mm front axle, outside to outside of forks is 190mm, so adding a nut and washer will need it to be a bit longer. (inside of forks is 110mm for reference...) How much do you want for the front wheel complete?

Best you'd better work out a price for those forks and risers for me too, see if this nonexistant budget will go that far... ;)

So can anyone help me re carby's as well? The motor I'm guessing is lifan/yx 125, and I've got a carby that came off a PP140 china thing, so its a mikuni copy. What would people suggest (keeping in mind I need it reliable) would work for that motor? Can I just use the one I have and jet it to suit?

Looks very much to be a CRF50 style frame you have there

Here is a few pics of the forks I have>
740PITBIKEFORKSFRONT.jpg

740PITBIKEFROKSTOP.jpg

740PITBIKEFORKSSIDE.jpg

You can have the wheel, Forks & triple clamps for $150 + postage, I would have to send the forks & wheel separate, I cant guarantee if the triple clamp will work with your frame (It should) but I am basically throwing them in for free, The triple clamp set has the risers with it

The front wheel is as mentioned basically new & only used once or twice briefly & has the disc & everything ready to go, It fits straight on these forks too

What is the outside width of your swingarm to compare with the rear axle I have? If the one I have fits you can have it if you buy the forks & wheel

I think I have a pic of the front wheel?

Last edited:
I need the forks & wheel gone so if you are still interested send me a PM, I have dropped the price

Have not had a reply from my PM's?

hey thump, sorry mate, the PM's weren't coming to my current email so didn't see 'em. Have stripped the thing, and thats as far as I got, so still need all that stuff. Tight on cash so haven't played with the thing much as I'm sure I'll just find things to spend money on, damnit! But a fortnightly shed night with a mate seems to be putting the pressure on, so flick me a PM of what you'd be prepared to take for the wheel and fork, and I'll see what I can do.

Sorry for taking so long, and stand by for some progress people... ;)

yeah, so I've been a bit bad... Spent a few days in hospital this week after a seizure (!!? yeah, my first...) and now under house arrest whilst we try and work some **** out.

So I took a quick pic of what I've got bits wise, and that should make it apparent as to what I still need... Hell, I don't even have a rolling chassis yet, something I need to fix! If you've got cheep and cheerful bits that you want to get rid of, that will suit my project, PM me. If you've got flogged out junk you're trying to unload on a chump, then GAGF...!

2012-07-20093750.jpg

2012-07-20093716.jpg

2012-07-20093610.jpg

Latest posts

Back