Wiring in LED lights? Am I doing something wrong?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxtrax

Reaction score
I am trying to wire some LED lights from a Lifan 150 engine. I bought a Trailtech 150w full wave regulator/rectifier to power the system (7004-RR150). Originally the stator had a single wire (yellow) output 12-14+VAC. I tried splitting this into the 2 input wires on the rectfier but it did not give me output on either the "lighting" or "battery" wires.

I did some more looking and found many people have gotten 2 outputs on this engine by removing the ground from the stator and running it as another output wire. When I did this I have 6-8+VAC coming out each, which makes sense to me. Hooking these to the input wires on the rectifier I can get the LED's work but it still shows output of AC (~6-8VAC) and not DC like I expected/it should be. From my understanding it should show very low/no VAC but proper VDC.

When I hook them up to the "lighting" wire they are lit at idle but die as soon as I give it throttle...returning when it goes back to idle. When I hook the lights up as if they were the battery they work fine.However I don't want to burn out the LED's by having an AC voltage. Is my meter showing AC simply because it is seeing the full wave rise/fall from zero volts even though it is all one flowing one direction? Or my other option is do I have something wired wrong?. Is there anything else I can do to get the proper 12v DC voltage and not just regulated AC? .

If you can get your hands on another rectifier I would test to make sure its not that.

Yeah. I think I'm going to try getting one of the 4 pin regulator/rectifier LIKE THIS ONE and try that. It seems like a much less expensive option than what I already purchased.

Latest posts

Back