xr / crf 50 questions

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gasser300

Reaction score
Hi,
I tried the search, couldn't find info.
the story so far...
My son rides an XR50 (2002),
here it is, allthough a bit different now http://www.miniriders.com.au/mini-chat/16673-got-my-son-xr50.html
he is growing fast so I have raised the stock handlebars (38mm forward, 25mm up & added about 15 degrees forward tilt to them) happy to provide info if someone needs it.
the problem is he is to young to move up a class (I have to keep him on a 50 for a while) but he is just too tall for it.
I need to raise the back of the bike, and understand most options involve lengthening the bike wheelbase (not a good thing for Minikhana, but I can live with that)

what are my options for raising it pros / cons / & cost?
I have seen (somewhere) new swingarms & have also seen a plate that connects to the frame and swingarm (can't remember where)
also the high seat?

Does anyone have one modified I can have a look at (and let him sit on, of course not ride it) in the sydney area?
Cheers

theres plenty of things you can do.

there the tall seat gives it a bigger feel
theres the 1" extended shock raises the rear
theres 1" longer fork legs which raises the front

if he is gonna upgrade soon dont go spending to much money on it , theres a few China swingarms that are really good for the money and will raise the rear , ive actually got one in me shed somewhere thats getting no use.

thanks for the reply,
he won't be upgrading soon if I can help it, he has just turned 7 and if he gets a bigger bike he will have to move up at least 2 divisions in racing (he would rather stay with his friends) and to tell the truth he is tall & skinny & I don't think he is ready for a heavier bike (he just needs it taller) I have made the bars higher but his knees are in the way because the seat is too low.
interested in parts if you dig them up.
does the shock alone raise the rear? how much are they worth? remember he his not heavy so I don't want heavy duty just higher if possible

No worries.

yep you can get shocks thats are a inch longer then stock which change the swingarm angle down which raises the rear.

ummm what kind of racing is he doing? best i could think of is a Crf70 shock there longer and should still be soft for him .

unless look on ebay there is a fair few China ones but there usually built for bigger riders so mite be to stiff

if you found someone with a used 70 shock would get it cheap like $30? but if you go a china shock around $100 and some of them can be very good shocks compared to stock! but just dont no if you could get one soft enough on a stock swingarm setup.

send some emails out to the site sponsers and ask for a 1" longer shock for stock Swingarm with a light spring weight for your kids weight.
they mite be able to help ya out??

ill have a look on ebay see if there is anything for ya.

hey mate i would say go get

:sano,red baron bmx bar kit $350
:five-0 +1" forkleg kit and heavy duty springs around the $300 to $320 mark
:kitaco rear shock i think there loke $150 or around that
: or if you want to spend abit more money i could suggest a fox float mxr rear shock i put one on mine and it was the best money i ever spent i think there up to $550 now

you can get all this from either eastcoast50s or www.oz50.com they are both really good and they are the only two places i will and most otheres with hondas will deal with cause all the other shops stuff you around to much hope this helps mate

front end is fine (for him) I have made a spacer for the bars & I don't think it's worth the big $$ stuff on the rear as the front suspension is not "real", no oil etc.

Wogtaz,
the CRF 70 shock sounds like a good Idea :) that would lower the wheelbase wouldn't it?
he races minikhana, great for skills development. around tight cones without dropping feet etc., bit of Motorcross etc.

you mean shorten the wheelbase? yer i guess it would a little so would most probably make it better for the tight cornering etc.

id probably say find a crf70 shock
and a Tall seat and that mite even be enough

id look on fmxaustralia.com for a used 70 shock , even make a wanted thread for one , i can recall seeing a few people selling them off for real cheap.

Yeah a crf70 shock will be perfect. It will raise the bike and also shorten the wheelbase...As the swingarm angle will increase, pulling the wheel under the bike further.

I won a few state minikhana Titles back when i was like 8 or 9 when i rode a DS80 hahah. Definatly great for skills and bike control. It gave me the riding ability to go out and do whatever i wanted once i got onto 80's etc.....Keep him going for sure. He will become a great rider and its fun doing the different events..Clover/orange etc!

What Club does your kid ride at? I rode at Menai PCYC, im hearing its getting shut down though....???

I live close to menai, but he rides at Hornsby (bit of a hike but he has friends there & the club is good, not so anal about rules so I think he gets more riding in)

update, spent the $150 on the rear shock / spring
raised it a little & not really any stiffer than the original (but I can ride it now ;) )
it's not going to be enough though, looks like I will shopping for a CRF70 or a JR 80 soon

JR 80 will be a good choice for his next bike. I went from a QR50 to a DS80 (Same thing diff plastics basically) and it was a good step. Brings in a manual clutch and some more power and decent suspension....They go well and you can port them abit add an Exhaust and they run very well...My thing was quick. Then its an easy step upto an 85cc bike, as its all the same thing just bigger and better!

Latest posts

Back