xr50 with takegawa 88 kit problem. HELP! :(

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrewmitchell123

Reaction score
hi, i recently bought a xr50 with a 88 cc takegawa bore kit. has stock exhaust. pod filter.

anyways when i bought it if i pinned top speed in 3rd gear in would start chugging. it would not reach top speed would keep chugging. had to back off a little n cruise just under full revs.

so i pulled the carby apart and blew it all out with the air compressor to try unblock anything. put it all back together. took it for a ride. but still the same problem. still chugging. like hesitating i guess.

im not sure what else it could be?
if anyone else could help get the problem fixed would be greatly appreciated!! :)

please help!

thanks!

Maybe the main jet is too big? If it's only a problem in the top end thats where i'd start. Also never hurts to use carby cleaner as well as the compressor just to get it that bit cleaner.

hmm i have no idea about teh parts inside a carby so i wouldnt know wats wat. i jsut know how to pull em apart n blow em out with the air compressor.
i did it again today. changed the spark plug. took the steel wool out of the exhaust that i tried to quiet it down with. but still the problem is there...

Defenetly sounds like a fuel issue . Theres tutorials on here on how to tune your carb step by step check it out dude.

tried adjusting the air screw on the carby to see if that would fix the problem. but adjusting this did not get rid of the problem.

the previous owner i bought it off said he did not have the chugging problem? so i doubt it could be the jet size... the 88cc kit was done at a shop where they purchased the whole kit n everythign needed so i dont think they would do the sizing wrong...

the only thing about that is that the shop did the upgrade like 5 years ago... so cant take it back. i dont really wanna go paying lots of $ at a shop to get it fixed...

i tried adjusting that air screw. was playing with it for hours. just cant get it right!

Back to the jets, if you can pull the carby apart to clean it with a compressor, i can only but assume you take out the jets when you do this, otherwise it's kind on pointless... here is a pic of what i mean by "jets"
pwk-type.png

26, 10 and 35 need to be removed and cleaned out. Hope that helps, you may not even need to change the main jet (#26) you may just need to give it a goo clean out, try using carby cleaner as well :)

Edit: Hope you remeber where that air/fuel mix was b4 you started playing with it, they can be a PITA to get right....

okay well ill buy some carby cleaner n trry that i guess. i havent used that to clean it yet, just used the compressor. do i just spray it all in n wipe it back out or leave it in there or what?

ah **** i dont remember haha guess ill be fiddling alot with it! where can u buy those jets from if i need one?

could it be if the float or something was put back in the wrong in the carby? or woudl that not affect it? or would it onlky go in one way?

I think a good carby clean will get u sorted, and u don't don't have to wipe out the cleaner just spray it in n let it go to wrk. Use the little nozel that comes with it to spray down all the holes on it also spray a bit in the bottom of the float bowl and let it sit for a few minutes to dissolve any crap that builds up on the bottom of the bowl. And if u do need a different size jet most bike shops sell em, you will find a number written on the side of the jet, if u buy one try 2 sizes smaller. Good luck.

okay! i went and bought carby cleaner today! pulled the hole carby down. flushed it out several times with the carby cleaner. blew it out with the compressor again. put it all back together. took it for a ride. but its still doing it :(

problem is still there.

before i go and buy a new jet from the shop i just thought about it! when i bought fuel for it i bought the best stuff. premium 100 or 98. one of them to. i think it was 100. now i just thought do u think maybe this is not supposed to be run in them and it could be causing the problem?
if this is not the problem then i will go buy a bigger size main jet.

hmmmm if my memory and reading serves me I think you'll find the 100 is an ethanol blend... not good without the right setup and it will gum up your jets. Replace the fuel, clean out the jets again, and then try. On a side note have you cleaned your air filter lately, also don't forget you played with the air/fuel mix - this will also need resetting.

oh yerp okay. tomorrow illl drain the tank. get all that fuel out. pull the carby apart and clean it out again with the carby cleaner. buy normal 91 unleaded and try that for a test ride. bought a brand new air filter the other day cause i didnt like the big ass one it came with.
would putting a smaller one effect it? surely it would still get enough air flow from a smaller one? :S
and yer everytime i test ride it after i try fix it i adjust the air screw again for about half hour in different positions to see if i can fix it but never fixes.

so i guess ill try the normal unleaded tomorrow and clean again and if that doesnt work ill try buying a smaller main jet.

okay i drained the petrol put in normal unleaded 91. re cleaned the carby took it for a test ride played around with air screw and stilll the problems there so got home pulled the carby apart n im going to go buy a new jet now. hopefully this fixes my problem.

Is the ignition stock on the bike ? Do you have an aftermarket rev box ?
Mine did the same thing when I put an 88 kit on the bike , I put a fast 50s rev box on and it fixed the problem

to be honest. i dont know. i bought it how it is... i took it to the shop now anyways. they can fix it i cant be f*ucked with the problem anymore

okay now im pissed off! i went to pick it up from yamaha today. (yes yamaha, the guy at honda is a ********) they told me they had tuned the carby n change the main jet. so i said sweet paid em $90 and bought it home. i test rode it when i got home. n guess what. its got the same ****ing problem! it has not fixed at all. its worse. so i called them n said u have not fixed it at all. its worse then it was. and he said yer it ur bike needs a set of rings. it dies out in the top yer? im like yes it chugs. and he says yer it blows a bit of smoke. and he said if i bring it in tomorrow he will put it back to how it was.

im not very happy. i paid $90 and he is gunna put it back to how it was. if he knew it was the rings why wouldnt he tell me that before he kept working on it! anyways so im gunna take it back tomorrow. n well its not gunna be a calm conversation lets just say... ill be asking for a refund or consumer affaiers will be involved. pisses me off that he couldnt just tell me that if he knew it before he went n charged me $90!

so i dont know if this story about the rings is true or he is just saying that.

Fuel isnt your issue. It will be wiring related. Spark or coil/magneto. Does it chug at full revs in second or 1st. Other wise check for a rubbing wire or loose connection

Latest posts

Back