YX 150cc turbo.

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brett3

Reaction score
okay..
so maybe, i got bored..
ive found the turbo my exboss gave me, was pulled off a brand new 1998 STI liberty.. IHI RHB5 VF28..
i will be putting this onto my 150..
Im going to see how it goes as is...
if it doesnt spool, ill experement with a 1-2-1 exhaust, where the 2nd pipe is twice the length of the otherone, effectivly making 2 exhaust pulses out of one..

BUT if the bloody thing still wont spool & make boost, ill be giving it a kick up the backside with a shot of nitrous.. if it still doesn't spool, ill be purchasing a IHI RHB1 or 2 series turbo..

im going to be running this motor on 85% ethanol, 15% 98 octane fuel - Envy Racing Fuel.

my main concern is supplying the motor with enough fuel.. what are your opinins?
stick with carburettion?
or should i make a simple circutboard to control a fuel injector?
to run the efi system all i will need is a crankangle sensor & plate, and a fuel pump, and make the board be able to control injector opening time...
the issue with this is i will need to have a proper electrical system..

I work at a dyno & performance shop, so i have access to everything that i will ever need..

what are your oppinions? suggestions?
cheers, Bretto

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 110
hmmm, looks like the turbo is too big.. but no harm in trying..

since your using decent fuel try and maintain 9.1:1 comp to lower lag/increase spooling.

stick with a carby mate... keep it simple.. just make sure your throttle spring isnt too light.

good luck, and keep us updated

sounds like you have an awesome project on your hands, i dont know how far you will get with it.. people have tried... there was one that worked on monkey garage but he had problems with stuf breaking due to too much back preshor and to much compression and lots of stuff like that, ill see if i can find the thread for you

Thanks for the info guys, keep it comming :)
i know that the turbo will be too big, but hey, it doesn't hurt to experement..
Im going to ask the boss tomorrow to quote me on a IHI RHB31 :)
on some of the drag cars we do at work, we use nitrous just to get the bloody things on boost :p
the fuel has an octane rating of 115, ill retard the timing slightly, keeps the bloody things from pinging & detanation, but does reduce power...

any suggestions on the carby to use?
was thinking of pinching the delorio of my mates KE55 corolla, when he gets his twin 45 webbers..

and if i do get the danm thing to run, ill tune it on the dyno at work, ill tell ya what power i get and post the dyno sheets :p

yea i think its too big, have a look at i think the last link, theres some suggestions of what tubro's to use in there... what do you do at your work anyways??? sounds awesome.... :D

The only down side of putting a turbo on a pitbike is that everything will wear heaps quick like the seals, and to get any considerable amount of spool you need more cc.

I mean turbos on pitbikes is would be a fun project, but on the other hand Pitbikes arent built to have turbos on them anyway. If you want more power get a bigger bike or motor.

Cheers jono

the smallest SU carb you can find will work good.. but youd be able to use heaps of different types just dont go to big in the size or else it will be even worse to spool..

Latest posts

Back