YZ85 12" Mini-Motard Build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ringo

Certified MR Member
Reaction score
I'm building another one of these for a mate in NSW, who's relocating to Perth at the end of the year!!!

So he sends it over in a box that even Houdini couldn't get out of!! Took me half an hour to get one side of the box off with brute force, ignorance and a very large snapon pry bar!!! :D

IMG_0239_zpsfn0yunac.jpg

Then I start dragging parts out of the box one by one because the box was to heavy to lift alone!!

IMG_0240_zpsylbenfkv.jpg

Got it all into the back yard and it looked like this

IMG_0243_zpse6iubyqe.jpg

IMG_0242_zpsu22paw4s.jpg

Took me less time to get it to look like below than it did to unpack it!!

IMG_0244_zpshmuuh7oo.jpg

I'm really looking forward to this motard build because the YZ85's have a stonking motor!! Plus he's told me I can use it as much as I like to test it properly. I think I'll just give it the odd run at our practises, but the thought of fitting it with rain tyres and parking it next to the ktm 65 (setup dry) on race days has crossed my mind a few times!!!

I've ordered an EBC 250mm floating disc and caliper bracket and got some spoked wheels coming to lace to the YZ hubs, I'll keep progress up on this build!!

Got the pit bike front wheel stripped last night:

yzfront2_zpsm4eeas2j.jpg

YZ%20front1_zpshibamuum.jpg

The spoke holes on the YZ hubs are smaller so I'm going to have to drill out each spoke hole, what a bugger, 64 holes to drill!!! :D

I've ordered the disc:
disc2_zpscbolux8o.jpg

Also hit the owner up as to what he wanted to do for colours, I'm thinking of buying some Duplicolor Anodised finish paint for the hubs.

Duplicolor Custom Auto Paint 1 Aerosol CAN Metalcast Blue Anodised 311gm MC201 | eBay

And maybe some blue nipples with black spokes??

NEW Black HD 12 Rear Spokes Nuts 32 SET 128mm Psto Pitpro Pitbike | eBay

Last edited:
Love your work mate, I'll be following this pretty close for Mrs. Sonik's bike.

Going to shake the local mini racing up a bit with a few more smokers in the field :D

Haha yeah, with this one and another three YZ's I know of (Pete, Tim and yourself), there's gonna be a blue hazed tinge to mini racing in 2016!!!! Love it!!

Oh BTW, I've emailed you a heap of links!!

Subscribed! With any luck mate I'll be picking up my YZ tomorrow arvo!
Will keep you posted!

My first go with anodise finish paint, came up mint!!!

942edd9145c8acda99e5b9fdbd045a6b.jpg

f3b8be9b12047a960da7eeee47f086f7.jpg

And built the Braaap rim up with black spokes and black nipples!!

49c6383d1683c3d768a415c3130afc60.jpg

Good work, it look's good in the sun hey.
Bit slack with you not deburring the spoke hole's in the hub though, lol (just stirring)

Haha, I had to drill every damn spoke hole out bigger for the China spokes!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got the rear wheel built over the weekend, just need to tension, centre and true it in the bike because I have no wheel building jig. I use a cable tie on each side of the swingarm (or fork legs) cut to point at the rim and true this way. I'll take photos when I do it!!

IMG_0301_zpsgr0mzbml.jpg

Got home last night to a couple of packages, one containing the new graphics kit from motoXart, these are great value for around a 100 bucks with any plate/number colours you want, custom name (nickname) and number!!

IMG_0296_zpsilq0koct.jpg

IMG_0298_zpszaa1gyqc.jpg

And this beautiful EBC 250mm floating disc and bracket from the U.S. turned up too!!

IMG_0299_zpshcoadltv.jpg

IMG_0300_zpsiwhj4k6j.jpg

Got some more work done on the YZ over the weekend, put the rear wheel in the bike and centred it. Then strapped a cable tie to each side of the swinger and cut to the right length to act as a pointer to get the wheel straight. For those that don't know, the spokes on the right side of the hub when tightened will pull the wheel to the right and left to left! So if you have a woof in the wheel to the right at that point on the rim tightening left hand spokes will pull it back straight.

When I put this wheel in and started winding up the tension it was about 10mm off centre away from the chain, so I did two laps of the wheel only tensioning (1/4 turn on each nipple, start at valve hole for reference) the drive side spokes to pull it across!!

Obligatory pics!

IMG_0301_zpsgr0mzbml.jpg

IMG_0311_zpslyozfq3c.jpg

Also got the front brake and caliper bracket fitted up to see what the caliper to rim clearance was like, heaps of room, all good!!!

IMG_0305_zpsmwmlnlfu.jpg

IMG_0307_zpsaqcsljgv.jpg

And starting to look like a bike:

IMG_0309_zpstjphwseo.jpg

IMG_0306_zpsa7ckqrt4.jpg

looks mint, how will the 85 compare to the 80 mate?

This thing will probably have more outright top end power than anything in the class!!!! But, it's going to have to be able put it to the ground and I rode another one a few weeks back and there's so much travel that the power is uncontrollable, I swapped with the owner on my 69sx!! And he couldn't believe how quick it turned and how much grip it had. But his bike had 4 y/o scooter tyres too and that was most of the problem!! My bike with the full 85cc is within 95% of a yz motor with a way better chassis!!

so fork lowering/rear end lowering required? have you got a link to those rims you a building up? where to buy?

so fork lowering/rear end lowering required?

The YZ I rode, the owner is looking to cut the springs 4-5 inches and put a spacer the same length over the dampening rod, will shorten the travel and hook the rake angle in too!! The rear is not so much of a problem. One issue that may arise though is peg scraping!!!

The owner of this bike in the thread is keen on dirt, so he may have to compromise a bit of both!!

Latest posts

Back