z

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it will melt eventually...

wrapping it in foil wont do anything besides stop it from melting to the exhaust.

If you actually fitted a length of hose and routed it to the carby intake, it will be nearly completely silent, and you'll have forced induction to make up for the power loss...:D

If you actually fitted a length of hose and routed it to the carby intake, it will be nearly completely silent, and you'll have forced induction to make up for the power loss...:D

Yes you would have forced induction... but i dont think the CO2 would burn very well... You need oxygen+fuel to make a fire, and from these 2 burning together you get CO2 which doesnt burn, hence it been used to put out fires. You could fit a turbo giving you the right kind of forced induction.. but then you wouldnt sovle your noise problem...

Anyway, loving the boro spec sliencer.

ok tested it after running the bike fr 20mins, and it will melt. dus anyone know an easy way to make a slincer that is not very hard?
Why not just try a brass hose fitting, that wont melt

But that probably will rattle out. re pack the muffler and then get three fitings and every 20 mins change them :D

Firstly,why do you wish to make it quieter? It looks like a decent enough pipe and by restricting the exhaust flow it could lose you power.
But if you must,you must.It sounds like you are not going to part with the cash either for a good silencer,that`s the best fix.OK that said,I have done this proceedure a few times with buggies with striaght through pipes and a hot dog,an XR with a straight through pipe with a power megaphone and no baffles and a couple of rat bikes that I couldn`t be bothered spending too much money on.Get a strip of chook wire and cut across about 4 inches in width and a decent length.Roll it up,to make the roll 4 inches in length,and cut off when the roll is just bigger than the exhaust hole.Stick it down the end of the pipe and it will wedge in.Instant cheap baffles and it will work.
Problems are,#1:it is hard to remove #2:When the galvanised coating wears off you will have the mild steel in contact with the stainless and you will get cross contamination of metals and your exhaust will start to rust(leave a wet steel plug or wet steel wool on the stainless sink and see what happens after a few days).This will happen even faster as the particles in the metals become more excited as heat is introduced.
BUT IT WILL BE QUIETER.
If it`s an off road machine,why are you worrying about it? You don`t really have to comply with RTA registration and EPA noise regs.You silence the thing up too much in the exhaust department and you will hear more engine noise,it will end up sounding like your mums mixmaster.My advice,leave it alone or if you must,buy a decent silencer.But in the end,the choice is yours.

i made a cool 1 out of a air filter and some metal wid holes in it

WD 40 will just evaporate in a flash.But now I think of it,you can get aluminium and stainless wire.
OK,now let`s get serious.1 of my biggest hates in this world is the lack of riding spots for younglings today.I could just about ride anywhere when I was a kid within reason and being sensible enough not to go on the black stuff.I detest bloody old BBQ spoilers that stop kids from riding (WISH THEY`D GET A LIFE).While kids are riding their pride and joy they are not hanging out front of shopping centres looking for trouble,they make good mates and learn heaps and make better drivers and riders when they hit the street.I hate politically correct tree hugging pollies and their unemployed post graduate hippy supporters.For this,you have my sympathy mate and my attention and help.
The wire idea works well and is very cheap.But lets go one better.You will need a peice of aluminium plate under 3mm (cheap,soft and easily worked).The plate must be big enough to cover the outside rear diameter of the silencer.Place on back of silencer with one hand and draw around it with a pencil and it should give you the outside diameter profile of the muffler.Don`t cut this peice yet,gives you more meat to hang on to when drilling.You said that the smallest hole in the hose fitting silenced the bike good,then let`s work off that.You can, to save muckin about get a stamp pad or a small amount of pen ink or a sparing amount of WATER based paint (kids paint) and smear it on the stainless back surface of the muffler (it will wipe off don`t panic).Place the aluminium back in the same place in regard to the pencil marks.This should give you a better profile and work lines.Place the aluminium on bench painted side up and place the fitting in the centre with the flat edge and small hole down and draw around the centre of the little opening.Put some safety glasses on.Get a 1/4 inch drill bit in a drill (cordless is fine) and drill around the small opening pencil circle you just drew.Put a block of wood under it first and please take note:DON`T PUT THE DRILL CENTRE OR TIP ON THE LINE AND DRILL,THE HOLE WILL BE TOO BIG,COME IN A LITTLE ON THE INSIDE OF THE CIRCLE,1/4 INCH BIT,COME IN 1/8 AND YOU`LL BE SPOT ON.Now drill right around the inside at close intervals.Next grab a socket with the same outside diameter that is say the same outside diameter as the hole,this should give you a couple of mm wall thickness in the socket and ideally cut midway between the holes you drilled.Turn socket upside down flat on bench or preferably secured in vice with block of wood underneath and the wood resting on vice bed.Grab a hammer and a peice of round bar that fits sloppily into the socket (2mm clearance) or use a suitable drift.Now belt the crap out of it and knock the guts out the hole,LOL.Shouldn`t be too tough.Grab pliers or vice grips or multi grips and get the hanging piece off (remove the dunny seat).Next grab a small round bastard file a file the inside edge down to the required diameter.Between the hole you just made and the line marking the outside diametre of the muffler,drill 4 holes each 4mm.Drill these holes at the 4 positions,North,East,South and West around the middle of the "land" or between the distance of the hole and the pencil outside circle.That`s Far top,far bottom,far left and far right around the whole circle in 4 spots and between the hole and the pencil line.If your accurate enough it should look OK.Now clamp the aluminium in a vice on one side of the vice with the outside pencil marks a fair bit above the jaws to 1/2 way.You can cut the pencil mark out using an angle grinder,be carefull and also wear specs.You can also use a hacksaw.Cut just outside the line as you can tidy it up once the main body of the waste aluminium is cut away.Don`t go too close as aluminium is very soft and you`ll go too far.Now after you have cut it out and cleaned it up (cleaning with a flat smooth file gives better finished work).Place the finished aluminium disc in place over the muffler end and using the 4mm drill bit and a drill while wearing your safety specs drill the 4 holes in the back of your muffler using the aluminium peice as a jig.Next you can either get some self tappers aor 4 pop rivets and a rivet gun and secure it in place.Shit,that`s a lot of writing,probably be easier if I just came around and did it for you.ANYHOW,good luck and enjoy.

Last edited:
fucken thats a whole lot of text. Have you posted this on the uk forum? i think i read it. i think it is pitbike planet or something..

Latest posts

Back