Z160ho 155z cam chain replacement

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

locko90

Reaction score
Hey guys. Just wondering if anyones done a cam chain replacement on a 155z motor and knows how to install the auto cam chain tensioner properly.

If any one can help would be most appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hey guys. Just wondering if anyones done a cam chain replacement on a 155z motor and knows how to install the auto cam chain tensioner properly.

If any one can help would be most appreciated!

Take the tensioner off the motor completely. release the tension by undoing the middle bolt, take it out(will have a spring under it), now undo the other 2 bolts 10mm i think, take the whole unit off the bike. Reset the tensioner by pushing the rod back up, you will need to push the little spring loaded clip at the bottom to push the shaft back up. Will be obvious when you see it. Leave the spring and centre bolt out when you put back on the bike.
Once you have it bolted back on the bike then you can put your spring and centre bolt back in and its done.

Thanks for the detailed instructions mate!. i just thought that i would have to put the spring and center volt back in whenthe engine was at tdc. But that dosent matter?

k so I just went out and measured the 2 cam chains that I have (one was the original) (other was bought brand new from dhz)

there both around 285mm long but the stretched original chain has 45 links and the new one has 46 links,
either way there both extremely loose.

would anyone know where I could get a 45 link cam chain for the 155z??

so I just rang dhz and told them about the different link cam chains and they said they don't have the 45links ones in stock, so going to have to wait a few weeks to get the right size cam chain lol -_-
zzzzzzZZzzz

Ihad the same issue with my Z155ho w/TB head

Ive got a 45 link one here from my local shop thats basicly new but was that tight on my Z155ho that it was almost impossible to get it on and then i diddnt even need the tensioner once it was on.

Got the one from dhz and it was very loose, i ended up replacing the chin sliders which helped alot as well as converting the tensioner over to manual

DHZ also told me when i was going through this that the tensioners are on the last 1 or 2 clicks from new anyway

Last edited:
Oh okay so you took 45 tooth off and you've got the 46 with a manual cam chain tensioner in it now ?

Did you make you own cam chain tensioner or did u buy an aftermarket one ?

Do u still have the 45 tooth chain?

Last edited:
Oh okay so you took 45 tooth off and you've got the 46 with a manual cam chain tensioner in it now ?

Did you make you own cam chain tensioner or did u buy an aftermarket one ?

Do u still have the 45 tooth chain?

Yeah thats right,

i converted the stock tensioner to manual, still have the 45l chain

Just out of curiosity, how do you convert to manual tensioner????,,,,,,how would you know that the chain needs more tension???, without checking after every ride!!

Yeah thats right,

i converted the stock tensioner to manual, still have the 45l chain
How did u convert it to a manual tensioner mate ?

Just out of curiosity, how do you convert to manual tensioner????,,,,,,how would you know that the chain needs more tension???, without checking after every ride!!

Takes all of 1 min to pull the cam cover off and have a feel of you think ot needes it.

How did u convert it to a manual tensioner mate ?

I gutted the stock one amd ran a M8×1.25(i think) tap down it from the top.
Welded and smoothed/rounded a run onto some threaded rod.
That was pretty much it realy

Oh so just taped her out and ran a bolt through. That easy. Allways seems easy untill u do the job it seems.

So u just smoothed the bolt out with a welder. Maybe ill have to get a bolt with a smooth end allready cuz i dont have a welder or a tapping tool or even a vice to hold it.
The Struggles lol

You will still probaly have to smooth/round the bold head down.

will get away with no vice if your inventive or can buy cheap ones that clamp to any table or bench.
you can buy cheap tap and die kits at bunnings etc that will have the size you need. they are a good investment in any case

Latest posts

Back