Z160HO wouldnt start when hot?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B3RG

Reaction score
So I was out the other day 38'C+ day and was giving the poor girl a boot full.
I stopped the bike to wait for a mate and when I went to start, nothing happened.
Heaps of compression, too much my ankle is still killing from kicking this thing. (maybe decomp valve is needed?)

We pushed it back to camp and I drained the carby and even put start ya bastard down the carby.

It was like their was no spark. the kill switch was in the off position and went over everything but still nothing.

So Today after cleaning the mud and crap off I pulled the fairing off looking for a loose wire or something. but found nothing. Took the spark plug out and kicked it over with the spark plug in the lead onto metal and their was spark.

plugged it back in and she started first go???? WTF

Just nervous going out again and getting it hot if it does it again?
any suggestions what I should look for/at

Have you checked the valve to rocker clearance's, from factory they are set too tight.
When it get's hot everything expand's and the exhaust valve might not seal properly.
So it will only have half the amount of fuel there to fire up

You shouldn't have to much in the way of kick back unless you are kicking it over wrong
Make sure it is just past tdc when you go to start it

Yes checked the clearances and they are fine, if the exhaust valves has moved, spraying aero start or similar would think it would even try to start a little bit? but there was nothing.

When I got this engine the bloke said he had changed all the bearings in the case and put better components in????
but when I push down on the kick stater to find TDC it gets rock had, Im 80kg and all my weight is needed to kick down on it, it is hard.....

Well it could have been too rich with the weather being so hot, my bike doesnt like it at those sort of temp's.
Stu will vouch for that
You could try raising the needle clip a notch to the second one down, or try one main jet smaller than what you were running

I can definitely vouch for that lol, just a thought, maybe try a new spark plug? Could be crapping out at high temperatures?

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

thanks guys, Ill give it a try next time I'm out

Latest posts

Back