125cc project

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricky_191

Reaction score
Hi all.I'm new here.

I recently got a new bike after having a few motorbikes over the years because I really started to miss not having one. I used to have a mad pit bike that I built over a few years and modified a bit. I was half way though a big tear down and re paint when I got my first car and that soon took over motor bikes for a few years.

So I have a bit of time now so I just bought a new parts bike to transfer my old parts onto thats fully working and complete but has a blown engine. I'm pretty sure it's an 09 atomik.

The plan is to rip the old engine out and replace it with my other engine that has a few mods,new plastics , upside down forks, racing cdi box,folding clutch lever,high rise bar set with pro tapers and a few other things.

Pics when I first got it and now how it is after an hour of pulling it apart. I took out the electrics,exhaust,carbie,clutch cable and whatever else was connected to the engine.

533256_10200496728413100_1758442112_n.jpg

562345_10200497007220070_188682424_n.jpg

So far the engine is in and working after sitting out side for a few year. Slight carbie problems though. The whole frame has been sanded , wire brushed, rust treated and sprayed, valve adjustment done, carbie jets done and a few other things

More coming soon :)

should look good mate, thats the same bike i've got :) An atomik Moto-x
you should definately replace the chain and sprockets, airfilter, and suspension. they are a pretty good bike when maintained! otherwise they can be extremely problematic. mine i have maitained to a certain standard and all its neeeded is a few valve adjustments here and there. but yeah , DHZ should have parts for them that will fit:) And welcome to miniriders dude ;)

should look good mate, thats the same bike i've got :) An atomik Moto-x
you should definately replace the chain and sprockets, airfilter, and suspension. they are a pretty good bike when maintained! otherwise they can be extremely problematic. mine i have maitained to a certain standard and all its neeeded is a few valve adjustments here and there. but yeah , DHZ should have parts for them that will fit:) And welcome to miniriders dude ;)

Hi , I have a gold kmc racing chain to go on , new sproket , the back one has been done but I have about three others that I could swap out as well.

With the air filter I just got a new foam one with a 45 bend so it sticks out a bit. I port matched the intake manifold and cleaned all the castings out of it. Also re packing the muffler and cleaning all the crap out of it. I think my engine has got the 140cc head of a liflan on it with a ducar bottom end. i know I did it to one of my engines but I forget which one :/ ahaha

haha, thats good top hear dude. the KMC chain will stretch quite a bit, i used to have that same one. i would suggest getting a D.I.D NZ3 chain. the airfilter you got, is it the foam type, or the paper type? if its the K&N style, then you should definately get a foam style fgilter. the K&N style filters break down over time and allow unfiltered air to get into your engine. then that leads to constant rebuilds and great annoyance, haha. and how did repacking the muffler go? mine needs doing, and im not sure wether to just buy a new one or re-pack this one?

I have a foam one, forget the brand. I did have the DID chain but I didn't like it so I got the KMC racing one. It feels a lot stronger.

I did a bit on the bike today. I cleaned and tuned the carbie and the bike is running so good. I'm half way though getting the forks off to swap them with the USD ones and then I polished up the tri clamps and high rise mounts. Should be back together tomorrow.

Next I will do the rims. They need a good wire bush and rust treat. So I will get onto that tomorrow. New plastics and stickers are on there way as well as the much needed rear axle. Happy that it's a 15mm but at the same time I have 4 12mm ones to use -_- bit annoying

did an oil change and fitted up the new filler. I'm also going to have a go at getting the electric start going since it looks pretty complete.

more coming soon :)

with the 15mm axle, is that only for the rear, or does the front take a 12mm? also what USD's have you got? do they take a 15mm axle? if so im pretty sure ur gonna have a hard time getting bearings to fit from what i think is a 12mm axle to a 15. im going through the same problem atm. im trying to gety a set of forks that take a 12mm axle or a 15mm if it comes with front wheel:confused-smiley-013 i dunno , lol. also did you get triples for the usd's? they'll take a different set of triples than the stock atomik forks.

G'day mate.
nice job on the build.
The bearings you want are a 6202-rs 35x15x11.
That should solve your problem

I forget the brand of forks but they take a 12mm axle and the back is a 15mm.. Nice and strong. I got the tri clamps to fit the forks. I also have a set of high rise bar mounts with high tensile bolts and a set of pro tapers.

I need to paint the rest of the frame and touch up the forks before I put them on and paint the rims before the rest of the parts get here.

Hi all. There has just been a lot of painting and cleaning done since last time.. The frame has been striped, rust treated and painted with epoxy paint so it's tough. It's like a mid grey and looks pretty nice. The rest of the bike will be black. I have done one wheel and it's looking nice. Forks need one more coat ( black ) front rim needs the primer sanded and then painted black. New plastics should be here any day, also black. Brakes , levers and caliper have all been sanded and painted black.

Took the tri claps of the old frame and polished them up a little. I actualy have two full sets of usd forks so I used the cleanest tri clamps.

Seat is ok but needs a clean and re black so I will get onto that when I fit the plastics. I didn't get a sticker kit but instead I got a bunch of stickers that I thought would look ok. Taking the anodising off my old gold fuel cap so it matches the claps. Sprocket and centers are a metallic silver.

Fitted some polished bolts to the head and engine. The high rise kit has some nice high tensile bolts but the bottoms need to be replaced.

The engine is now running soooooooo good. So happy that it works and that this project is paying off. I need to fill it back up with oil. I warmed it up and dropped the oil and then put in 200ml to get the rest of the old oil out ready for some new stuff. I also fitted a magnetic drain plug.

I need to repaint the side cover and the kick start.

I also found a spare 12V Rectifier Regulator for the electrics so I will fit that and see if I can get the electric start going.. if not I will cut it all off but it would be good to have it :) This is the first pit bike I have got with a full loom. I have normally had to rewire the whole lot so i'm happy that it works.

More coming soon. So keen to ride this thing :D

nice one dude! gettin a bit done there!, what are u doing with ur other forks?i might be interest :). put up some pics please!! ;)

I will get you pics tomorrow. The other ones are silver. I forget the brand but they were over $300 with the tri clamps. I have three stock sets now -_-

I come across a new problem.. I found a random wire from the solenoid and I don't know where it goes.. i'm thinking it's the wire to the stater motor so I will have a look at the old motor and see what colour that one is..

Also if any one knows.. the key barrel has been cut off and all the wires have been taped together.. the bike kick starts but will it affect the way the electric start works ??

I think my tri clamps are different sizes :/ I used one off the second set because it's polished and the top of the others because it's polished but now the forks won't go in :/ might have to swap them around

yeah the triples may run a different setup than the standard 45/48mm. as for your wiring problem, im pretty sure that you have dont to have the key turned for the e-start to work, the bike will turn over, but will not start. im not too sure as my e-start never worked on my bike. my67xr would know this sort of stuff

Hi all , Today i'm going to fit the forks and the bars and then try and get the electric start working. Everything is painted except for the front rim so i'm just putting it all back together and then it's just waiting for parts to come.

Hi all... Its so hot today, I only painted the front wheel , polished the tri claps as best I could with the stuff I had, fitted the forks, bar mounts, handle bars that I took off the peewee (mission and a half ) then painted the throttle and a few other tiny bits and sorted some parts for the electrics.

I also put the battery on charge but it had nothing written on it , so I put it on led acid and now hoping for the best. I tested it and it was holding 10 volts so hopefully it charges up and works. I also need to fix the plug that goes to the regulator and wire up the starter motor.

I will do more when it gets a bit cooler.

if that battery doesnt hold charge, grab a motobatt. there pretty good for the price you get them for.

not a hundred percent on this but ive heard that the electric start puts excess strain on your engine and your better off pulling the starter motor out of em? if im wrong im sure someone will chime in telling me so lol.
bike should be sweet when shes finished mate well done

^really? on my atomik (when it worked) the elec start would turn over when there was no key turned, but wouldnt start?? Wierd lol

Latest posts

Back