125cc project

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that rear sprocket looks like it's a 41 tooth, or maybe a 43 tooth ?
a new front sprocket only costs about $10 inc delivery, off ebay
but you need to know what shaft size (17mm or 20mm), and what pitch (420 or 428) you need before you order it.
and get a new retainer plate too, just incase your old one is worn or wont fit the new sprocket.

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_....Xfront+sprocket&_nkw=front+sprocket&_sacat=0
http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_...TR10.TRC0.A0.Xretainer&_nkw=retainer&_sacat=0

the rust on your forks isn't realy a good thing, you are best off replacing the forks.
the forks' hard chromed surface is meant to be all smooth/shiny.
but if you clean them up well, they should get you by for a while though.

if you use one of those stainless steel scourers that you use for cleaning/washing dishes, that may help the rust to come off.
after you've done that, feel the chrome on the fork legs,
if there is any rust pits, or chrome flaking, then give it a sand back with some 320 W&D paper, use lots of water too.
wrap the sandpaper around a flat hard sanding block, and try to smooth it all out.
this will stop it wearing away your fork seals, and losing all your fork oil.

after you have it all clean, wipe some wd40 or crc over the chrome to help stop them rusting again.

and blender,
WD40 contains fish oil.
it took them 40 tries, before they got the mixture right, hence the name of their product.
it was originally made for protecting guns, and military equipment during the first world war.

and blender,
WD40 contains fish oil.
it took them 40 tries, before they got the mixture right, hence the name of their product.
it was originally made for protecting guns, and military equipment during the first world war.

wow, i actually didnt know that :), thanks for the info mate, apreciated

ha, my heads full of it!
and ricky, im pretty certain your running 15/43 gearing. i checked the sprockets that came with my bike orginally and thats what they were. also your chain *should* be a 428 pitch. maybe atomik decided to add/take of some teeth with later models, but just as a reference point, that was what mine was :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your help guys. I found a 34 tooth sprocket for the back but it doesn't fit the stud pattern on the rim but it looks like it fits onto the brake disk side :/ dodgy but it would give more top end with the 14 front sprocket.

or the other idea is to get a 17 or 18 for the front.

This is how it sits now but it wont stay like this for long.
1237059_10200599662106378_150509539_n.jpg

sure man, if fits on the brake disc side, then go for it, but keep in mind you would have to change the spacings, and would probably lose your rear brake, unless you can find a disc that fits the sprocket side's bolt configuration.

i use 2 different front sprockets on my Atomik Fuse, a 14t front and a 17t
the top speed difference is about 20 kmh faster with the 17t sprocket on the front.

I might change it to the brake side since the brake has been cut off but the brake disk mounts look a little weak but I might give it ago. I have the rim that I was running this sprocket on so I might swap it over with a new tire and tube :)

I think it needs more top end. you can take off easy in second so I think that it needs more top end.

Another thing.. Last time I worked with these bikes I didn't have many tools and it has really helped a lot to have a few tools and stands to work with. Also this pit bike will have a few things I haven't had on my last pitbikes.. things like front brakes,bash plate,muffler strap, rubber on the kick start ,a full working set of electrics with electric start, soft grips, chain tentioners and guides and a few small things that I haven't had before.

Yeah, it sure makes things alot nicer when you have everything you need, and it works :)
as for gearing, i run 14/41 on my bike and its mainly acceleration,i can just take of in 2nd, (but i dont as it burns clutches out) and it makes wheelies a whole lot easier aswell ;) but im going to be changing the front soon to a 16 tooth.

Last edited:
I think I should just get a 17 front tooth.. I will check what I need tomorrow. It seems like the easiest and fastest way to change the gearing around to suit the style of track or riding area.

I went to get the kick start off the blown engine and the bolt snapped and I can't get it off. I tried drilling it out but the bolt is to tough so i'm going to get a new drill bit and give it ago and then try and get an easy out in there :)

Do you have a grinder or even a dremel.. or a hack saw? cut it closest to the thread you can and then pull the exess off and then pull the kicker off

Yeah, I cut the bolt and got it off and then drilled a hole in it so I could put an easy out in there. But my drill bit was crap so I end up using a self tapping metal screw to make a hole and then couldn't find my easy outs. So I will go to the shops tomorrow and get a new set. Hopefully it comes out and I can put a new bolt in there.

It's a lot of trouble for a $20 kick start.

I'm thinking about getting this :) Should give way more top end and for around $12 , I might get two spare ones in different sizes . 18T 17mm Front Sprocket COG 420 Chain PIT PRO PIT Bike Trail Dirt Bike Thumpstar | eBay

I think I have a 428 chain though. I'm pretty sure the center is a 17 mm. They are cheap :) I'm hoping 18 isn't too much top end but the way it is now, it really is geared low. I think I was running a 14 and 34 on my last bike and it was good but I don't want to bolt that sprocket to the brake disk side because the mounts look weak and I will have to cut my chain. So i'm changing the front one around

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/18T-17mm..._Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc3c216d7&_uhb=1

Yeah I got the 428 one. I'm thinking my bike is the 428 because I have a 420 chain and it doesn't fit the sprockets. The listing could have been wrong for the chain though :/ Now i'm unsure.

hmm, see if the ebay add/seller takes returns. you'll probably have to pay return postage, so depending on postage costs and the price of the item, you might be better of keeping it, e.g you may only get a few bucks out of it.

Latest posts

Back