125cc project

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. The nut is off it but it won't come out. I put the bike on it's side and smacked it a few times and it didn't move. I think it might be bent a little bit and stopping it from coming out. I moved the swing arm up and down and it still wouldn't come out. I think I might just leave it in there and paint around it.

I don't want to damage that bolt and have to wait and pay for a replacement. Do you think I should get it out or just leave it alone ?

definitely get it out. do you know where its bent? my guess is around the points where it slots through the frame. you may have to cut off the edge? maybe that'd help? have you tried spraying down into the hole the bolt goes in? otherwise i reckon the only way would to get it out would be to smash it out. the only problem there is you may do some damage to the frame (where the bolt goes in).

Last edited:
Yeah I think it needs to come out. I sprayed down the bolt hole or what ever you want to call it and rust come out. I think it's just stuck with rust or bent where it goes into the frame :/ I'm thinking of a few options.

#1 spray it as much as I can and smash it out and hope for the best.

#2 get a breaker bar and a socket and try and undo the other side which is stuck , hoping to straighten the bolt out a little and free it up.

#3 cut both ends off , cry , swap every thing over to a new frame that's stronger and minimal rust, cry some more and pay more money :(

I'm just so sure that this bike has been back flipped into the ocean and maybe a few burn outs, every day of it's life

I got it off :D I decided to do a combination of all three. I sprayed it more and smacked it and it didn't move. So I got a big long ratchet and had to hunt for a 12mm -_- found it and then went to unbolt it... Couldn't move it at all so I got a pole on to it and .... It snapped off :'( I honestly want to have a cry over it.

So the swing arm is off and the bolt is now stuck solid in the frame.Should I try and get it out ? and if so how ? I can't heat it up. though burning it all feels like the right thing to do.

I have two spare frames there but I just painted mine and did the electrics and fitted the motor and it's all back together and now it's rooted.

So how should I get this half a bolt out ?

i would get an old bolt, or pipe (anything steel, that'll fit inthe hole) and smash it out, honestly, i think thats your only option. and dont lose hope dude, it'll turn out great, you just gotta persevere :). and burning things wont help, you only burn yourself in the preocess, which makes you angrier, etc...its just a vicious cycle, lol.

its a shame u cant heat it cause if u could heat the frame enough toswell the frame where the bolt passes through it would prob come out but otherwise do what blender said get another 12mm bolt and drive out the stuck one with the bolt and hammer...

I smacked it sooo hard and it didn't move. I will try again tomorrow but I don't like my chances. This frame is a bit rusty so I might look at quotes to mod a spare frame and make it stronger.

Does any one know what bolt these take , i'm pretty sure it's a 10 mm ?

yep, the standard bolt size is 10mm. pretty small if u ask me.

Yeah it's small :/ could I drill it out to 12mm or would that make the frame weak ? And then you need bushes and bearings.

A new axle is $12 posted and I might see if I can get some bearings in town first. This is how things start costing money and the project gets blown way out of budget. I have still spent less then $170 - 200 but that is with out my forks and engine that I all ready had as well as bars , filters and the new needles in the carbie.

dead set 10mm? that is small for ya swinga but i wouldnt drill it out replace it with a high tensile bolt of the same diameter then you will have a much stronger set up :)

yea there only 10 mm, which is pretty damn dangerous!! yeah drilling out would not be a good idea, the frame mounting points that the bolt goes through would probably snap or crack after the drilling (theres no much meat on them) i replaces mine with a high tensile bolt and its been fine, the thing you have to watch is whether its done up tight or not. when the swinga is loose, it bends the bolt and can cause it to snap. just a thought, do you have a 9mm drill bit? you could drill it out with that, and cause its 1mm smaller, it would do any damage to the frame. you'd probably need a decent drill to do this like a ryobi or makita.

Is the stock ones high tensile ? If not , where do you get one from ?

Also I can't get the bolt out of the frame. Any ideas?

i just go to the local nuts n bolts store tbh and no the stock bolts are not high tensile, also make sure you use a matching high tensile nut with the h/t bolt.... as to getting out u could try what blender said with the 8/9 mm drillbit and good drill, apart from that if you cant bash it out (make sure you try it from both sides as one side may hve less pressure on it than the other) you will probably never get it out. the only other option i can think of is to take it to a shop and see if they can press it out....

the stock bolt isnt high tensile, do you have a bunnings or hardware shop around where you live? they's probably be able to sell you a high tensile bolt. as for getting the bolt out, i reckon drilling as i posted above, but make sure you have a decent drill. other than that i cant think of any other way to get it out.

I will smack it a few times and then if it doesn't come out.. I will cry for a bit in pure frustration and then swap the frames over :p

I don't like my chances of getting a bolt. I looked at about 6 shops to get an axle and last time I did this I had to get a swing arm bolt and couldn't track one down. I might try ebay and see if they sell high tensile.

This frame is pretty rusty and I have treated it but it's still a little rough. It wouldn't take much to swap the frames over :/ Just drop the engine and all the electrics, take the front off with the wheel , and the tank seat and plastics. It's a lot of work but I will get a better frame and I could spend the same amount of time on getting the bolt out and then still have to change frames.

Also could I lean the bike over for a bit to smack this bolt out or will that cause problems ?

Why dont you try drilling it? you've tried smashing it out, and that obviously doesnt work, so try drilling it. do everything you can to get it out, but i understand if you have a stronger frame you can put on, do that, but i would try my best to get it out, and if that meant drilling it the for sure, i'd do that. and laying the bike over wont be a good thing to try, you'll just scratch your freshly painted engine and whatnot.

Why dont you try drilling it? you've tried smashing it out, and that obviously doesnt work, so try drilling it. do everything you can to get it out, but i understand if you have a stronger frame you can put on, do that, but i would try my best to get it out, and if that meant drilling it the for sure, i'd do that. and laying the bike over wont be a good thing to try, you'll just scratch your freshly painted engine and whatnot.

Yeah , I might go get a drill bit. I'm still leaning to the other frame because it looks like the better option.

If I lean it over on the bars and pegs it will be fine , i'm worried about the oil going places it shouldn't.

Also I called the biggest bolt shop we have and they said no, nothing that big. They always talk to me like i'm building something super strange :/

maybe have a hunt on ebay for some high tensile bolts if your nuts and bolt shop cant help. my local shop tried to say the same thing the first time but then i said hey i can buy them online why cant u get them and lo and behold three days later the manager rings me with the exact bolts i needed ;)

Latest posts

Back