125cc project

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
both frames have broken engine mounts. One looks like a good fix but the back looks a little bent.. I might try and drill it out.

I can't get this bolt out , I got a drill bit and got less then a cm down and it's now blunt and not cutting. And it's starting to go off course into the frame -_-

So I will let it soak , give it a few good hits and then if it doesn't come out I will have to use a spare frame but one had a broken mount and the other one looks a bit bent and also has a broken mount. fml ay

I might use the best one and have a go at welding :p

find yourself a nice high tensile bolt and use it as a drift to punch the old broken one through.
make sure the frame is sitting on something solid too, otherwise the shock of hitting it will just dissipate through the frame and not through the broken bolt.

It won't come out. It's now bent from smacking it and i'm pretty sure it won't ever come out. I might take the spare frame into a welding shop to make it a bit stronger and cut my losses. It's all ready cost me $13 for a drill bit and a few hours of my time.

Ok , so I went to the back shed and had a look and there is two spare frames. One looks like it has been stranthend with a bunch of steal but it could be a better quality one. The work on it is quite good but it has a busted mount , though the patch looks good and is welded in two spots.

The second is a stock frame and the back looks a little bent up.

I'm leaning to the spare one now. I will post some pics and get some feed back though :) any feed back would be great. Also this frame is rust free since I treated it a while back and most of the paint is still good on it.

1239977_10200642176009199_1872353071_n.jpg

1377439_10200642177209229_1579138851_n.jpg

1374969_10200642177489236_1661949777_n.jpg

that frame looks ok, you'd just have to watch that mount. it is braced and will be alot stronger than what your useing now :)

Yeah it's got extra steel all over it. I'm going to use that frame. Moving onto bigger and better things. I sanded it all and there is only tiny amounts of rust. I'm thinking gloss black or maybe matt. I think the mat black will look good against the shinny plastics :/ I have left over cans of both though so I will see.

my frame is gloss black and i like the look of it so far, it shines through a bit and being gloss stands out a bit more aswell.

Yeah I like gloss better. It will match the plastics better and the green should break it up a bit. Keen to have it back together and ride it around. I'm going to look for high tensile swing arm bolt.. Does any one know were to get one from ? the bolt shops here don't have any

maybe search for heavy duty 10mm swing arm bolt? i had a look myself and couldnt find the high tensile ones either... they h/d bolts will still b stronger than your standard bolt :)

Is it even worth it ? I'm thinking with the new frame that's all strong, new forks , good rims ect , I should really build up a good bike and I think that bolt is a weak link.

But this is where a project goes from fixing up a $50 bike and using parts that you have from old projects that got to expensive and turns into a money pit that goes fast.

But i'm feeling a lot better about the swing arm bolt that snapped after seeing how good that spare frame is. I just need to track down a bolt , do some more painting and it will be back together again :)

Thanks for your help guys. I will hunt around and email those people.

amen to the money pit mate ive spent over 1500 bucks on my sons build and if you include the 500 bucks the bike cost to start with well i coulda bought a brand new bike for that BUT i no everything thats on/in the bike is good quality and should stand up to his brutality to anything mechanical lol

Hi guys, Yeah i'm keen to build it up a bit more. I still have a few things to go on it to make it look better and then I will make it stronger and go better.

I'm thinking I should get my frame more braced up around the engine mount. It has so much extra metal and little plates welded on it but there is still the engine mounts that are stock. The back section is ok because it's just there for the seat but it has plates on it too. Seems like a good frame.

Now I need to track down a bolt and it will be all good :)

Hi all , I have done a little bit on the bike since my last post. I sanded the frame ready for some paint and overcome my fear of the grinder and got rid of some rust. It was starting to rust where the the engine mounts are so I cleaned it all up and rust treated it.

I also cleaned the rust off and sanded the swing arm, then rust treated it again because I did a crap job the first time :/

I'm painting the frame gloss black and I have a secret colour for the swing arm. I have a matching fuel cap and stickers coming also :) It should look really good. I didn't like the grey much because the lid of the can wasn't the same as the paint. It looked a lot darker.

I also got a new swing arm bolt on order. I end up getting a high tensile one so it should be really strong.

Hi guys, I got some new bearings today and also got what's left of the swing arm bolt punched out of the spacer for $10, a bit much but guess that what it cost :/

So I went to put the new bearings in but there is still the bearing case left in the swing arm from the broken bearing :(

I tried to bash it out with a hammer but it's flush with the inside of the swing arm. I'm going to try and drill a few little holes in it and snap it so it can come out better.

Also I went to put the tank on but because of the extra bracing , the cables don't fit under the tank any more :( so I run them down the sides of the frame but they look ugly. also the seat is hitting on the coil so that also has to be moved to a new mount. Same with the cdi box. It's in the worst spot but i'm going to try and mount it under the seat in a new bracket.

So the tank just fits but now the front plastics need to be moved back a little bit and new holes made in the seat for them.

Still a lot more to do. I made a better shock out of a few spare ones and then got some new bolts for the. I couldn't get high tensile though but hopefully they are ok.

Thanks for reading.

dramas hey? you gotta love em !!

the case hardening on bearings will make them impossible to drill.
but then again, it could work with them being made in china.

Latest posts

Back