150 or 160 YX Engine?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldhack

Reaction score
Hey all, Hope your all havin a ball with your pittys.
I am going to purchase a pit bike soon and have settled on an Atomik Nitrous (see thread elsewhere) 'Do I need big wheel or not and which bike for under 1K' Don't worry I quickly realised that big wheels are frowned apon and turfed that idea!
I realise they are not the greatest bike but for what I have to spend it will do the job and I will have an ok platform to work off.
Ok so heres my question:
When I decided on the Nitrous I was advised to go for the 160 due to the good power they make.
-Does anyone have any experience with the 150 motor?
The reason I ask is that I can't find a 160 on Ebay now I have the funds. But I can get a 150 no problem.
I have read in other threads someone mentioned that the 150 had good bottom end. I have looked at the specs and the 150 is 3.5HP down on the 160 in STD trim.
-I am guessing thats alot in mini bike power stakes?
-I have come from big bore bikes and weigh 80kg so what do people think?
-Hang out for another 160 to come up or is the 150 worth a go if I am willing to tweak it a bit?
Cheers for any info you guys can give me, Much appreciated! :D

im gonna have to say stay away from the 150 model mate..
they use the daytona 150 yx engine and alot of people have had trouble with the engines cracking the cases due to back kick back.
iv repaired 1 of my mates and it was even fitted with the lifan 150 digital outer rotor kit, but silly him advanced the hell out of the timing...
and i have 2 dead daytona 150 yx engines sitting on my garage floor..

so id sit tight and wait for the 160's to become available again..
also there is talk that there is a 170cc version going to be available too(truth unknown tho)

I'm hanging out for a 160 too... Checked with Atomik, they should be listing them again shortly :)

I'm hanging out for a 160 too... Checked with Atomik, they should be listing them again shortly :)

Cheers Sean and Krazed,
I will def hang out for the 160, I had pretty much made my mind up anyways but you never know someone might have had bad things to say about the 160 too.
Krazed, I asked Atomik how much they sell their 160 Nitro for off the shop floor and when they would be back on E-bay (via email). The price was ludacris and they dodged the E-bay question. Are you after a Nitrous also or one of their other 160's?
SeanThanks for the info mate.

6 months ago i would of said the same thing about the 160 lol... they had case problems too..
hahah i also got 2 of those on my garage floor with dead cases...both at least 6 months old

Cheers Sean and Krazed,
I will def hang out for the 160, I had pretty much made my mind up anyways but you never know someone might have had bad things to say about the 160 too.
Krazed, I asked Atomik how much they sell their 160 Nitro for off the shop floor and when they would be back on E-bay (via email). The price was ludacris and they dodged the E-bay question. Are you after a Nitrous also or one of their other 160's?
SeanThanks for the info mate.

Oldhack - Took me a few emails to even drag "shortly" out of them. First reply was along the lines of "we are still selling this item". I'm def after a Nitrous, the other 160's don't float my boat. Buying anything from Atomik off the shop floor is ludacris, pity they don't have their regular webpage up ;)

Not holding my breath for a new listing. Hopefully it happens in the next week or two :)

I'd almost be tempted by the 140 if I wasn't such a capacity whore! hehe

Last edited:
If you are really keen, things drag on and you have the money/time... Buy a Nitrous 140, buy a Reign 160, transplant engines, re-auction the Reign :p

If you are really keen, things drag on and you have the money/time... Buy a Nitrous 140, buy a Reign 160, transplant engines, re-auction the Reign :p

Sean01 Cheers mate, Did you get 6 months racing or just generally hacking from the 2 dead ones you have?
Krazed0451I would be capable of doin the engine swap as you suggested no worries, I just don't have the coin to buy both bikes. Thanks for the heads up though. I would NEVER pay shop price for one of the Atomik bikes. I would go straight out and buy a DHZ 160 if I was going to spend those $$. The diff between their rec retail and what they let em go for on E-bay is huge!
Hopefully we don't end up bidding against each other for the next 1 that comes up, You ready to buy now?
oldhack

I had a 150, I reckon it was alright, power wise that is. it was a bit small for me as im just around the 6ft mark and weigh 100kg. It had loads of power, it would lift up through 1st 2nd and a lil bit through third. But if the 160 has more power thats what id go for :p

Latest response from Atomik when I pushed for a more definite time on the listing of 160's:

"HI

Unfortunately I cannot advise you when it will be listed. Our ebay department randomly lists different models and colours on ebay. It is best if you check ebay every couple of days.

regards
atomik"

Ultra professional :p

And in case anyone is bored and wishes to look at pretty Atomik Pics:

Index of /DirtBike

;)

Latest response from Atomik when I pushed for a more definite time on the listing of 160's:

"HI

Unfortunately I cannot advise you when it will be listed. Our ebay department randomly lists different models and colours on ebay. It is best if you check ebay every couple of days.

regards
atomik"

Ultra professional :p

And in case anyone is bored and wishes to look at pretty Atomik Pics:

Index of /DirtBike

;)

Krazed,
Thanks for that mate. Will just keep lookin out for em!
It seems all the bad stuff re: poor customer service I have read on this forum may well be deserved.
oldhack

ok, bit of an update on the daytona yx150's
i was just told tht the yx150 daytona's now have an updated case, long long this has been about im unsure.
they have been available in the states for about 3-4 months
but i confirmed by looking at Just Rides items in his ebay, he has the cases in there for sale...

so if your interested in the 150's then make absolutely double triple clear that the updated case has been fitted...

ok, bit of an update on the daytona yx150's
i was just told tht the yx150 daytona's now have an updated case, long long this has been about im unsure.
they have been available in the states for about 3-4 months
but i confirmed by looking at Just Rides items in his ebay, he has the cases in there for sale...

so if your interested in the 150's then make absolutely double triple clear that the updated case has been fitted...

Nice, unfortunately I suspect it will be nigh on impossible to get that info from Atomik on an ebay bike :(

Oh well, I'll just have to stick with the 160's :D

Thanks for the update!

trying to confirm with DVDrip's yx150 daytona engine from an atomik bike...
he got it a couple of months ago so im trying to get him to pull the clutch cover to confirm the bearing

yes I will confirm the 150 and 160's from atomik on monday and report back here

yes I will confirm the 150 and 160's from atomik on monday and report back here

Thanks DvDRip and sean01, Good info. I will be interested to hear what you find.
I will still be heading in the 160 direction though I think.
Krazed, Cheers mate. Will let you know how I go.
oldhack.

Latest posts

Back