155z or yx160 install

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylza85

Reaction score
i am changing my engine in my pitpro from a 150 to the 155z or the 160cc pitpro engine was info on whats involved in changing an engine in these and what would be a better engine

155z the 160 hav crap bearings on the kickstaqart and they self detinate and crack the case happend to me twice untill i got the new case and bearing

there both good the new improved yx with the needle bearings has fixed the cracked cases , i think lol

there more mods to the yx motors , i dunno its your coin

to change out a motor tis easy , 2hrs and cold beers involved and bobs ya aunty

ok possibly a stupid question... The Lifan 140 motor is generally regarded as a tough little unit... with the exception of the kickstart... And the Lifan 150 is apparently a good step up...
With the usual 140 mods done to a 150 (IRK or ORK, cam, OKO, big bore pipe, port matching, polished manifold etc) how much difference is there in performance between the Lifan 150 and the 155z/160yx motor?
There's a lot of pissing and moaning about cases and gearboxes of the the 155z/160's...
having had no experience with the lifan 150's, are they really that bad??
or just neglected??

well if this is a pissing match, then my mate has a yx150(klx style). he bought it as soon as the yx150's were available...
it had been running fine up untill it decided to drop a valve....yep id say 2yrs or more. in that time not 1 problem except the valve...
no cases cracking, no kick start problems no gear problems.
and id have to say he wasnt one for sticking to routine oil changes and valve clearances.
and he's the type that rides it like he stole it...

now this engine is still going with a 176cc bore kit and new head on it and still no problems with bottom end..

main problems i see with them is that people try to screw the timing up on them and dont kick start them properly.. boom there goes your cases...
another thing is dont try and build one with ridiculous compression specially if you only run pump fuel...if you do then retard the hell out of it...

i got another yx150 here, probly 1.5yrs old. it was out of riders bike from pitboss used as a FMX bike the only problem with it is it jumps out of 3rd gear...and it was also a regular bush thrasher...

yx's are chosen over lifan 150's because theres more upgrades for them and spare parts..

sweet cheers Sean... I was just curious, the Lifan 150 seems to be overlooked pretty often, and you dont hear much about them...
sounds like i better build one to prove people wrong on that one as well.. ha ha

oh theres no doubt they got the potential, its just they run the lifan BFH stud pattern so you can really only go 1mm oversize on the pitson and the rest is in the stroke...
the yx150dt-5 has more stroke and is actually 150cc, the lifan 150 is only 147cc

ok, so theoretical question... if you have the experience of riding both, how does a stock 140 Lifan compare to the Lifan 150?? are they similar in performance, with a little more torque from the 150, or are they night and day in difference?

hey thump i went from a lifan 140 to 150...the 150 leaves the 140 for dead just stock....once you got a oko on it, it just wants to pull and pull, i havent down port and polishing to it either no other mods...

Hmm... the Poofy Yellow Bling Bike may need an upgrade, then donate some fast-bits to a 150 motor then... If a stock 150 utterly trounces a stock 140, then a 150 with the same extent of build prep and modifications as my 140, could make for a good strong Pucker-quotient... :D

oo yer i reckon it would be better with an irk but i havent actually used one before so i dont actually know...by the way thump the 1/8 turn throttles are really good but i need to grind a littlebit away from the inside as the knobby bit of the throttle cable kept catching it if you get one you will know what i mean but its an easy fix with a dremel...

these 150s would definately go good with a cam, ported an polished, HD valve springs, HC piston, HD clutch springs probly would wanna do plates too and a hydro clutch and of course an oko flatslide i find the 26 is good as it still has a power from the middle and builds very strongly from there...from what i hear the 28mm are just top end screamers

oo yer i reckon it would be better with an irk but i havent actually used one before so i dont actually know

Well you reckon wrong. :rolleyes:

IRK sacrifice massive amounts of tourque. A tradeoff which is just not worth it. It decreases usable traction by a tonne. Yeah you can get the back wheel spinning very easily but can't transfer that efficiently to the ground.

ORK are the go. Slight torque sacrifice for a quicker revving motor.

^^^ might have to disagree with you there BarryDawsonman, but to a point... Yes i agree wholeheartedly IRK's sacrifice a lot of torque, and *can* spin up and lose traction easily...
BUT... If you've got the skills to hang on to it, stay into the motor and the clutch and throttle control to keep it hooked up, i'd go with the IRK over and ORK...
I'm being slightly argumentative, but for what it's worth, i'd say go ORK if you arent a complete throttle jockey... as you've stated.. IRK for Pros, ORK for Ho's.. lol..
Like i said, just being argumentative.. ;)

^^^ might have to disagree with you there BarryDawsonman, but to a point... Yes i agree wholeheartedly IRK's sacrifice a lot of torque, and *can* spin up and lose traction easily...
BUT... If you've got the skills to hang on to it, stay into the motor and the clutch and throttle control to keep it hooked up, i'd go with the IRK over and ORK...
I'm being slightly argumentative, but for what it's worth, i'd say go ORK if you arent a complete throttle jockey... as you've stated.. IRK for Pros, ORK for Ho's.. lol..
Like i said, just being argumentative.. ;)

I was waiting for it. Are you implying that I'm a Ho? You sir are correct. ;)

I just find the ORK is the right balance of both and has a lot more usable traction and power. I don't find it any harder to hold onto an IRK at all. Just harder to get a decent amount of traction especially out of corners on a track. I have done quite a few 360's out of corners being right on the gas and just spinning.

With the IRK, if you get a step up or any incline, the thing dies in the ass real quick even under high rev's I have found. Plus if you trail ride your mini's they are useless on hills. Only way up the big stuff is to seat bounce the crap out of it.

Actually, I see why you like them now ya fudge packer!! :D

ok possibly a stupid question... The Lifan 140 motor is generally regarded as a tough little unit... with the exception of the kickstart... And the Lifan 150 is apparently a good step up...
With the usual 140 mods done to a 150 (IRK or ORK, cam, OKO, big bore pipe, port matching, polished manifold etc) how much difference is there in performance between the Lifan 150 and the 155z/160yx motor?
There's a lot of pissing and moaning about cases and gearboxes of the the 155z/160's...
having had no experience with the lifan 150's, are they really that bad??
or just neglected??

its got the lifan 150 engine in it at the moment done an oil ring after a couple of rides so was just going to replace it with either the 155 or 160 mainly for looks but yeah dont mind either so just want the more reliable engine out of the 2

why the hell would replace an engine for looks...

you sir must ride with m/m

why the hell would replace an engine for looks...

you sir must ride with m/m

not just for looks as i said b4 its done the rings and i have found the yx 160cc engine has more parts available that i have found

the fella from the local pitty shop told me it would be not alot of difference in price if i just changed the engine but he deals in atomik crap can anyone point me in the right direction if this isnt correct

whats not alot of different in price??? 155z to 160 ???
and whats atomik got to do with your engine swap????

maybe read word your above post....im having difficulty understanding what your getting at...

Hes saying that the mech in the local pittie shop deals with atomik and that there isn't much price difference between the 160 and??? Well thats what I got out of it.

Look at DHZ they'll point you in the right direction. Goodluck with it.

DHZ: DHZ MINI MOTO - Engine

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back