190 stroker kit -start up, shifting problem help

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn5236

Reaction score
Here is a vid I took today starting up my Piranha pit bike with the new 190 stroker kit installed. I blew up my 150 recently (piston, cylinder sleeve, and valves).

I put in the 190 and drove it around some. Seems to be running great but shifting down into neutral 1st and second gear going down the gearbox isn't working much at all. Annoyed and don't want to take the motor out of the frame.

Any help is appreciated.

[video]https://youtu.be/4AxVP4obfjg[/video]
[video=youtube;4AxVP4obfjg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AxVP4obfjg&feature=youtu.be[/video]

In your vid you say you havnt messed with the jetting, is that from the 150? You should definitely be going up in main jet size if you were to lean on the 150, you just added 40cc!! The extra cc will pull more air, requiring more fuel to cool it. As for gearbox issues, it could be as simple as the shift drum needs tightening, or as bad as a bent shift fork, or the gearbox could even require re shimming. If you remove the rubber bung in the case above your front sprocket you will unearth a hex head bolt. If you remove your clutch cover there will be a similar bolt head in the top left hand side, try tightening both of those. If that doesnt help then you will likely have to remove the engine and have a closer look at the gearbox.

Yeah i agree with stu, check the shift drum bolt's are tight.
Are you still running the straightened clutch plate's in it ?
They might be dragging a bit and not allowing the clutch to fully disengage?

Jetting, i'd be going up a couple on the main at least.

Might be worth getting a temperature gauge for it too, the service manual say's not to take them over 80°c (176°f)
Daytona sell them, but they are a bit expensive
But you can run one like this easy enough with a couple of mod's to your stator/lighting wiring
EPMAN Micro Digital Oil Temperature Gauge ,Auto gauge / meter, 37mm Purple EP-DGT8103P [EP-DGT8103P] - US$7.60 : tanskyshop

Okay I will take off the outer cover with the bike still in the frame. I hope it's something in there that I can just tighten up and go.

The engine feels pretty good though but I haven't run it hard yet. I am nervous about reliability now. I have a race coming up this weekend at a new track for me and I will have my hands full. I will post what I find on the shifting problem.

It's strange because 3rd and 4th gear seem to work fine but N 1 2 don't want to down shift easily (or not at all).

"If you remove the rubber bung in the case above your front sprocket you will unearth a hex head bolt."
Just tightened this one then tried it...

This worked!!! YOU GUYS SAVED MY ASS AGAIN.

Thanks you!!!

Can I use one of the oil dipstick temperature meters? They are only like $10 US.
Also yes I will increase the main jet. It is currently a 110.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back