1991 Suzuki DS80 Build

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr oakenfold

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Rather than keeping a 5 year old thread going from somebody else, I'll start my own.

On Sunday I picked up a 1991 DS80. Overall general condition is average/poor.

How she is now...
The front headlight/numberplate/shroud are missing and have been replaced at some stage by the previous owner by a home fabricated aluminium plate, the wiring loom and indeed light fitting is still there just wrapped up. The plastics overall are very dull/scratched. Frame paint is quite rough, the original blue seems to have chunks missing that have flaked off over the years. The engine seems to start first or second kick but idles quite high but seems to run well enough. I think the suspension is quite soft and will need some work in the very near future, rims are quite rough and rear tyre is shot, will definitely need replacement very soon. Last but not least the seat has a lot of tears in it and definitely would have seen better days.

What I want her to be in the future (plans)...
Replace bodgy numberplate with white KLX110 Numberplate (Acerbis/UFO/etc...), remove lighting wiring.
Scrape back all the plastics to try and make them look neat, shiny and respectable again... (started tonight - lightly scraping front fender and found the colour initially was quite similar to the early-mid 80's DS's so I thought maybe they'd put a replacement on, though it flaked off and the fluro yellow underneath seemed to match better, not sure if I've just scraped too hard or the prev owner for some reason tried to paint it but matched the colour wrong??).
Replace whole exhaust system with FMF Fatty Pipe and Powercore 2 from JR80.
Replace all levers and possibly bars.
Replace rims/tyres.
Anything else I can think of or you guys suggest!

depending on what sorta terrain your riding you might want to think about the rear sprocket, I upgraded to a larger one for more torque up the hills, downside is a lower top speed.

Hey Gooseman, where do you ride? Will probably just take the DS on a few family properties etc, just want a fun reliable little banger for occasional blast at Appin/Pacific Park in NSW. And apologies pics are below, got any of yours??

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340114924.810145.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340114942.757248.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340114959.828115.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340114979.694609.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340114993.647835.jpg

the seat could be retrimmed/repaired easy enough at any motor trimmers, well under $100 im guessing...
i was quoted about $75 a couple of months ago for mine.

your front guard looks like an aftermarket one, going by the original colour?

have you seen these bars? they look pretty good, and cheap too

MOTOCROSS RM RMZ YZF KXF KTM CRF YZ KX CR 7/8TH HANDELBARS | eBay

Yeh thinking I will try a auto retrimmer. The bars look great but why so cheap???

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

Long as they don't snap I'm in!!!

Hey guys I'm looking for plastics, anyone got any 1991 ds80 plastics they need gone!!!

Build a time machine or................You can pay the same price as new for crappy old plastics at the wreckers (wouldnt bother!!!) or write down all the different part numbers you need from here>

http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/oem-parts/SUZUKI/1997/DS80/REAR-FENDER-(MODEL-Y)

Then using them part numbers do automatic email search's in both ebay USA & ebay AUS & see if they pop up, You will find a store closing down maybe listing some new plastics here & there?
Also googling the part numbers will find shops selling them but Ebay is usually cheaper

I have max'd out the ebay search limit on 2 ebay accounts (100 each account) cause I have found lots of goodies that way, You receive an email everyday an item is able to be found, Good for hard to find parts

Next option I would try is going to all the plastic manufacturers websites & write down their part numbers next to the corresponding OEM numbers, Im not gunna list the sites, GIYF>

Polisport
Cemoto
Maier
Acerbis

Last edited:
G'day Dr! I got a chinese KLX headlight for my KDX200. Will try & find the link for you - I remember it being very cheap, like $29 delivered to Australia

A good example from MY67XR, Just need to try different key words (DS80 & PART NUMBERS!!!) & search in ebay or google if you need

Make sure you tick the "Include description" box when searching ebay, This is why most people cant find stuff

Hey MY67 I just gave you rep+1 no need to repeat yourself LOL

If a seller has other bits n pieces cheap for the same bike Im after parts for I usually buy it up if they will combine the postage reasonably

Last edited:
Cant be that cold in Adelaide? LOL

You need a new PC? Or it needs a service?

Glad I dont have to worry about that, I build HTPC's, This is my office & where I am typing this post from>

2012 BUILT SILVERSTONE LC13 CASE, AMD FX-6100 6-CORE PROCESSOR, MSI 990FXA-GD80, 550GTX, 16GB RAM, SSD, LIQUID COOLED, PIONEER SURROUND SOUND 15 INCH SUBWOOFER 42" LED TV BEAST OF A HT-PC!!!

Runs 24/7 & does everything
vbpgimage.php

(Rather than start a new thread, and given the DS80 Brains Trust seems to be alive & well here...)

I too bought three 1985 DS80's of varying completedness. I paid too much but seem to have enough to get about 1.8 bikes running.

I have one almost ready to try & kick over. None of the bikes have a kill-switch. I am lining up a run/stop switch tomorrow. Could anyone please tell me which colour wires the kill-switch plugs into?

Latest posts

Back