1997 Yamaha Rt100

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThisGuy

Reaction score
Im new to 2strokes but im not new to riding dirtbikes.

Ive been riding for about 2 years. I had a honda crf150 but parts were too expensive so I sold it and bought a 125cc ssr pitbike. First thing I did was change the 14t to a 17t sprocket. I plan to trade my pitbike for a 1997 yamaha rt100

Ok, now I have some questions...

Is the 1997 yamaha rt100 faster than that pitbike?

Is it just as loud as newer 2strokes? (I want it screaming!)

Is it faster than 85cc 2strokes?

How is maintenece for it?

Does it require me to shift quickly to keep it in the high rpm range? (I ask this because i watched videos on youtube and everyone was shifting like a 4stroke.)

Any tips on riding a 2 stroke?

How fast does it feel?

Pretty sure the rt 100 is the trail/farm style bike and would ride similar to a dt good for ya kid
If you want screaming peaky power go a kx 80 or 125
Tips to riding a 2t... flat out and for god sake dont engine brake while trail riding
if going to go top speed hold pinned dont roll off the throttle and let the motor rev or reduce throttle stay in band and coast..
it'd probably be on par with 85 however will be heavier and a different beast to ride completley
the 100 will be faster than the pitty (if the pittys not a 190 anima)

Last edited:
Pretty sure the rt 100 is the trail/farm style bike and would ride similar to a dt good for ya kid
If you want screaming peaky power go a kx 80 or 125
Tips to riding a 2t... flat out and for god sake dont engine brake while trail riding
if going to go top speed hold pinned dont roll off the throttle and let the motor rev or reduce throttle stay in band and coast..
it'd probably be on par with 85 however will be heavier and a different beast to ride completley
the 100 will be faster than the pitty (if the pittys not a 190 anima)

Do you know if it has fast acceleration? I rode my friends 1990 yz80 and its powerband was something serious. How does it compare to the rt100?

Do you know if it has fast acceleration? I rode my friends 1990 yz80 and its powerband was something serious. How does it compare to the rt100?
thats mx power, balls out fun the rt125 still has decent powerband however is very smooth from bottom to top and can almost be ridden like a 4t..
get ya kid a 80

M main concern is, is it a good upgrade from the 125cc pitbike? And you guys said its a trail bike does that mean Im supposed to ride it differently? Look at some vids on youtube. Everyone rides them like a 4stroke, they cruise through each gear, no one ever tops out. This is really my only option and I want a bike with speed and can keep up with the 80.

M main concern is, is it a good upgrade from the 125cc pitbike? And you guys said its a trail bike does that mean Im supposed to ride it differently? Look at some vids on youtube. Everyone rides them like a 4stroke, they cruise through each gear, no one ever tops out. This is really my only option and I want a bike with speed and can keep up with the 80.
Great upgrade from the pitbike
should be able to keep up with the 80 trail riding..
maybe harder on mx track
do the swap

Great upgrade from the pitbike
should be able to keep up with the 80 trail riding..
maybe harder on mx track
do the swap

I dont do tracks lol I ride by a huge lake with mud and dirt and grass with a decent straightaway. But this really helped. Thanks. More info on the changing gears would help though because I know how to shift on a 2 stroke but these videos ive been watching has we me like o_O

I dont do tracks lol I ride by a huge lake with mud and dirt and grass with a decent straightaway. But this really helped. Thanks. More info on the changing gears would help though because I know how to shift on a 2 stroke but these videos ive been watching has we me like o_O
Same way as you would on a 4t try reving it to redline everynow and again to keep the sparkplug clean + its fun as hell
you dont particularly need to use the clutch much also because of the lighter rotating mass.. for longevity using the clutch is a better idea

compare the expansion chamber on the rt100 to a yz80 or something and you'll notice a huge difference. this would indicate that the rt100 has the pipe tuned so the power band starts at a low rpm to give torque and will last longer.

The fatter pipes will give the mx bikes a more narrow power band but much more aggressive. THis is why it sounds like on the video's they don't rev out, there would be no point in revving any higher as you will run out of power band.

Don't expect it to have great accleration either, its more a farm bike and is built for reliability. My advice is get a cr80 or its equilivant, there not much more second hand.

compare the expansion chamber on the rt100 to a yz80 or something and you'll notice a huge difference. this would indicate that the rt100 has the pipe tuned so the power band starts at a low rpm to give torque and will last longer.

The fatter pipes will give the mx bikes a more narrow power band but much more aggressive. THis is why it sounds like on the video's they don't rev out, there would be no point in revving any higher as you will run out of power band.

Don't expect it to have great accleration either, its more a farm bike and is built for reliability. My advice is get a cr80 or its equilivant, there not much more second hand.

I was offered a kx60. Should I take? I want a 2stroke where I can rip it at high rpms. It seems as though the rt100 cant do so as much. How fast do those go with a 6'0 160lbs rider?

I was offered a kx60. Should I take? I want a 2stroke where I can rip it at high rpms. It seems as though the rt100 cant do so as much. How fast do those go with a 6'0 160lbs rider?
the 60 would be a stretch probably the same as the 125 pitty harder to ride (physically)
for a fun bike i would not look past a 80cc
look out for people selling the bike all because they dont want to replace the bottom end they found was a little loose last rebuild

generally a 2 stroke will keep up with, if not better, something twice the size in a 4 stroke.

i would be looking for something at least 80cc, maybe even a 125cc 2 stroke.

generally a 2 stroke will keep up with, if not better, something twice the size in a 4 stroke.

i would be looking for something at least 80cc, maybe even a 125cc 2 stroke.
Hell yeah like a 1994 rm125 :p

do you still have yours ?
think it might be a bit far to come for ThisGuy though , all the way from Texas !

think it might be a bit far to come for ThisGuy though , all the way from Texas !
yeah i still got mine, 3 buyers all flaked out only one leaving a deposit..
Yeah all the way from texas lol
your lucky bikes are much cheaper over there eg to get a wr450 its 8k onroad over here its near 14k

Ive always wanted a kx125 though. I remember when I used to hate 2strokes and their noises lol

Latest posts

Back