2 stroke Exhaust dent removal

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter1230

Reaction score
hey guys,

ive got a cr125 and it has a few dents in the expansion chamber,
just wondering if anyone has used the, fill it with water and freeze it method.
i have heard bout 1 bloke that blew a hole in his pipe, he may of filled it too much??

alot of people say this works.

Should i fill the pipe completely and plug of both ends? i cant see why it would rip a hole in it unless he filled to too the very top and pluged it causing too much pressure in the pipe and ripping it out.

any help hit me up!

yeah this method does work. If you're concerned about splitting the seams in the pipe, plug one end, and when throwing said pipe in the freezer, put the un-plugged end at the top... (goes without saying, water cant fall out that way....
keep an eye on it, as it can be a bit of a long process... the water will only expand so far upon freezing, so the process may need to be repeated a few times until the dents have been removed or popped out sufficiently...
ie: fill, freeze, pop!, check, thaw, fill, freeze, pop etc...
may take a few goes before your satisfied though...

hey guys,

ive got a cr125 and it has a few dents in the expansion chamber,
just wondering if anyone has used the, fill it with water and freeze it method.
i have heard bout 1 bloke that blew a hole in his pipe, he may of filled it too much??

alot of people say this works.

Should i fill the pipe completely and plug of both ends? i cant see why it would rip a hole in it unless he filled to too the very top and pluged it causing too much pressure in the pipe and ripping it out.

any help hit me up!

you know pete at first i thought you had been hanging around your 2 stroke a jerry can a little bit too long, i never knew people actually did this but makes sense to why it would work.

couldnt it rust from the inside out from doing this though?

you know pete at first i thought you had been hanging around your 2 stroke a jerry can a little bit too long, i never knew people actually did this but makes sense to why it would work.

couldnt it rust from the inside out from doing this though?

i aint all bonkers lol!

but wont the water just expand upwards if the top is unplugged?
and wont have any effect on the dent?

your not supposed to fill the entire pipe from what I've read and seen, you plug one end, place it in the freezer with the dent as low as you can, and fill it with just enough water to go above the dent.
and as said, it may take a few tries for it to look good again.

yes you need to plug both ends and there will need to be enough water in their to be able to create enough pressure to pop it out, so at least 3/4 water, when you put it in the freezer continually check it. DO NOT LEAVE IT UNATTENDED. may take a few tries but it does work.

full to the brim, plug both ends... water only expands by 1/10 on freezing... so it may be a long process, depending how big your dents are....
rust will be no problem.... as long as you use it sometime before 2016....

an alternative method, that works great on old (heavy/thick-walled) fuel tanks was to use a cap with a spark plug and attach it to an ignitor of some sort....and stand behind a brick wall, just in case.....fun:) only reason i mentioned it :p

id stick with the water method....just keep checking it regularly while freezing... and the plugging poses another problem...what to use? that can be water tight and withstand the pressure?

it will also work just as well with heating...think steam power....conserve water... once again, sealing/plugging is tricky....now it has to be gastight...shiiiiiit!

and, its also an idea to use water thats been in the fridge.... at 4 degrees, when its as dense as it can get.... then you might only have to warm it slightly, rather than freeze or boil anything.... water expands above and below 4 degrees;)

*stops thinking*

Latest posts

Back