2 stroke maintainence

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as long as treat the bike right you'll be fine, all the times I've sized something it's always been my own fault, using bad oil, over-reving the engine, going at max RPM for several minutes, doing burnouts, not letting the bike warm up and those kinda things, all top-end killers.
but I've never siezed anything over 80cc though...

To check your 2 strokes crank for excess rod bearing play .... remove the cylinder , piston , pin and rings .... Then with the crank locked at TDC .... push the rod downward onto the crank and give the little end a few downward raps with a wooden mallet or the like and take note of the sound ... it will sound solid .... Repeat the procedure while pulling the rod upwards with one hand and give it a few sharp raps ... IF the sound changes and you can hear a "click" each time you tap down on the little end then your crank is ready for a rebuild .... Running it like that is the same as dicing with the devil .... Several people I know ignored my advice after I checked their crank and they paid the price BIGTIME .... :p One guy listened but just put the bike back together and sold it to another guy I knew .... I warned HIM to get the crank rebuilt but he didn't because the bike shops "mechanic" told him it should be OK .... He fitted a new piston and rings and said it was "screaming" .... The next time I saw him a week later he looked down and dejected ..... I asked him how the bike was running and he sheepishly said that the engine "grenaded" in a big way and was a write off .... The big end bearing let go , the conrod snapped and smashed a hole thru the crank case and the bottom of the cylinder .... the new piston was shattered and there was metal embedded in the head .... I picked up a cheap 1987 KX80 frame to fit an XR motor into that week ... :p :D

The second guy was my stingey brother but he was lucky that his crank bit the dust while it was only idling so it stalled instantly ..... leaving his new Wiseco piston , rings , and bore job miraculously intact ....

Check that crank out dude or you'll be crying like a BABY over the sudden unexpected death of your only child ...

Last edited:
ha ha ha, and the feel of a DT200R with knobbies, seizing at 120kph on bitumen after running wide open for two minutes then locking up when the throttle shut off and thus stopping fuel delivery, is terrifying.... lol

dammit i posted a reply before reading the last page again... buffoon!

the other day i was riding down a 800m road in 5th gear... flat out... it wouldnt rev no harder...
i think i would had of been doing 100km/h+.... the point is at those kind of revs (only there for like 10 seconds) am i damaging the motor... or do some guys hold them there for like minutes? can they take this?

As long as it's pushing against wind and loaded it should be OK ... At low speeds 2 strokes are cooled better than water cooled 4 strokes due to the intake air rushing thru the cases .... Whereas the water cooled 4 stroke starts to cook as soon as the airflow over the radiators is too slow ... They'd need thermo fans blasting air at the radiators at low speeds ... just like any car engine does ...

I wouldn't p*ss on a CRF150R/250R/450R that has been used for trail hooning for that very reason ...

Latest posts

Back