2 stroke v's 4 stroke

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crazzy #1

Reaction score
ok so i was qluey about why two strokes have a gretter adantage in power over four strokes? the pistons would be the same size but a 125 2 stroke would eat a 125 4 stroke, why is this?

in a 2 stroke, every time the piston completes a revolution it fires. In a 4 stroke its every second revolution

Why is it that 4 strokes are a million times more reliable then 2 strokes, is it because there is less crap floating around in the engine because of the oil in the fuel or because they rev harder and faster or another thing that i havnt thought of.

well, if they fire faster then the piston will be working harder for longer, and as our hearts work after a fair few pumps they give up

also, becuase two strokes lack a dedicated lubrication system, parts tend to wear out MUCH quicker.

older 2s had a big advantage over old 4s in RPM these days the modern 4s are reving just as hard as the 2s to this day u still see old 4s on farms that have never been rebuilt where as the 2s are probably in wreckers selling for parts as the 4s are becoming more popular and pushing 2s out of the market u hear a crap load of 4s shitting them selfs because of little problems i would say both current 2s and 4s have just as many problems if not more with the 4s in the end it all comes down to how u look after the bike

first off.

Older 2 Strokes were made for higher reving with bigger expansion chambers and no power valves. But the new age 4 Stroke is taking over.

4 strokes have a longer engine life than a 2stroke because 2strokes put oil through the cylidner and the oil and petrol mixture lubricates the crankshaft.

4 strokes have a seperate sump alocated for lubricating the crankshaft and wat not with pure oil.

2 Strokes have more power through the use of powerband and it does 1 revolution per cycle as the 4 stroke has to do 2 revolutions of the crankshaft making the 2 Stroke engine faster

2 Stroke Engines are lighter than 4 Strokes and have less moving parts than a 4 Stroke. i.e No Valves, No Cam Shafts, No Oil Sump.
Because the engine is lighter it has a bigger power to weight ratio makes more HP!

4 Strokes these days are watercooled and the engines have been made lighter and more powerful with new cam technology.

Overall:

2 Stroke more power, but lower Engine life.
4 Stroke not as fast as the 2 Stroke but longer Engine life.
New Age 4 Strokes are as fast as the 2 Strokes.

Hope this helps, 2 Stroke or 4 Stroke That is the question

[email protected]

4 are not really as fast as 2 . i have 2 mates and one day i was watching them race their cr250 and yz450f, the 450f took off first but the cr caught up and over took pretty quick.

basically. they four stroke has 4 'strokes' der lol. but it 1.sucks in fuel and air. 2.compresses fuel and air mixture. 3.spark plug fires. 4. piston pushes exhaust out. with a 2 stroke. it has special ports that the piston uncovers as it moves up and down. so it has. 1.sucks in fuel and air through ports and compresses. 2. spark plug fires and as piston moved back it uncovers a port which lets exhaust out. 2 stokes have 'ports' in where the piston moves.. 4 strokes do not. there are many other differences but thats how they work. so because the spark plug in a stroke fires twice as often as a 4 stroke. the 2 has more power. although 4s are getting increasingly more powerful..

and i recon they're bout the same noise level, but the 2 stroke does that ring ding ding thing that normal ppl will hate,
but i think that 2 strokes are much more fun to ride
2 strokes dont have valves though, they have reeds instead? correct me if im wrong

keep it carm bruz

this is good for the site

more and more info

some of these new members dont really know that its a old thread...they just search for info and then post in these old threads

but i think that 2 strokes are much more fun to ride

Correct

2 strokes dont have valves though, they have reeds instead? correct me if im wrong

2 strokes dont have valves like 4 strokes but 2 strokes have a reed valve. It is a 1 way valve.
a12i2.jpg

Latest posts

Back