2008 Atomik Blitz 250 review

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not familiar with this bike as I have never ridden it, I am trying to get my head around it.
Has it got similar power to a XR250 or is it more on the way to a YZ250? they sell for 1300-1500 NEW on ebay? I thought for that money they must be utter rubbish, but seems that they are not that bad. How can they sell them for $1325.00 on ebay auctions????

yes they do sell for around $1500 on ebay and in my mind i dont see it being a better build than a XR or YZ (although i havnt ridden mine yet). they are cheap and u get what u pay for but with doin a few mods mentioned in this thread and a bit of time in the shed with it, im sure it would be the best bang for ya buck.

yea you might be able to get it as powerful as an xr250 but you'll never get it as reliable and tough. It's a cheap bike so it need allot of work by the looks of it

Thump 140-

How does the Blitz go over jumps?
I mean with the yamaha forks it cant be to bad right?
Oh and i had an idea not sure if you have thought of this but for the rear shock maybe you could get one from DNM as they make shocks for big bike too as you will see on there website. they maybe too expensive to bother with but its just an idea
or as you said try the rmx 250 shock?

I am not familiar with this bike as I have never ridden it, I am trying to get my head around it.
Has it got similar power to a XR250 or is it more on the way to a YZ250? they sell for 1300-1500 NEW on ebay? I thought for that money they must be utter rubbish, but seems that they are not that bad. How can they sell them for $1325.00 on ebay auctions????
Standard, the Blitz has a bit less power than an XR250.. The mods i've done, you end up with a bit more power, and a better power delivery than an XR250, and they arent exactly what you'd call expensive mods. So far mine cost me $1300 initially for the bike, $25 for the CDI, $120 for the flatslide and $25 for the 1/4 turn throttle. The YZF front end cost me nothing, cause i borrowed it from my 400, but i've just scored a YZF250 front end from ebay for $350... So basically i have more or less a brand new bike, that is better suspended, faster and more comfortable than an 08 XR250 or KLX250, for the grand sum of $1820... Other mods you can do yourself... (muffler mod, airbox etc. But no, performance will never even come close to a YZ250 mxer...
yea you might be able to get it as powerful as an xr250 but you'll never get it as reliable and tough. It's a cheap bike so it need allot of work by the looks of it

Yeah DVDrip is right, getting the power past an XR250 is cheap and easy, but yes, reliability remains to be seen. As seen in the vids, mine gets hammered, and so far has proven reliable. Havent had any sort of engine cough or failure yet, no issues with overheating or clutch issues, and i've had it for over a year now, but time will tell as to how the bike goes long term reliability wise.
Yes it's a cheap bike, and yes, a bit of work to set the thing up to really perform is required, but for the price, it's great bang for your buck, even once the mods are done, it's a sub-2k bike... Low quality suspension and radiator strength aside, it's been no more fragile than any of my other bikes. At the end of the day, it needs no less or more work than any other china bike, mini or full size.. an as for set-up, all of my Jap bikes have required the same set-up, same maintenance, and same parts upgraded from new.. (tyres, chains, sprockets, bars, levers etc... And that's after the $11k purchase cost...)

Thump 140-

How does the Blitz go over jumps?
I mean with the yamaha forks it cant be to bad right?
Oh and i had an idea not sure if you have thought of this but for the rear shock maybe you could get one from DNM as they make shocks for big bike too as you will see on there website. they maybe too expensive to bother with but its just an idea
or as you said try the rmx 250 shock?

Hey Peter,

Yeah with the 400 front end on it, it jumps quite well. I am yet to take it on an MX track to find out, but i did a few small dune jumps on it over the long weekend, and it held up pretty well. The rear shock is actually damped pretty well stock, it's the linkages and build quality that let it down, and as for the bike itself, it's a little odd for me to jump, cause the bike "feels" like i'm on my YZF450, but it jumps like my YZF400, mostly due to the weights being similar.. But saying that, someone who doesnt own either, wouldn't even notice it.. ha ha!
Did manage to get it airborne over a lot of smaller rollers and irrigation mounds etc (sort of stuff you find flying through the scrub) and yeah, the new suspension handled it brilliantly.
I might have to have a look at this DNM stuff, do you have a link for it? havent ever seen the big bike stuff, only the mini stuff.
Annoyingly, all i have to do to fit the RMX250 shock, is bend my header pipe, then it's all apples... just need to get off my ass and have it bent up.. ha ha

after seeing reading this review and seeing your vids i and another vid on youtube im actually considering one when after i get my next pitty and car like they seem like a alot of fun and it would be my first big bike, im only 6o kg so im sure suspenion would probly be alot better with me on it, did you think of maybe trying an 1/8 turn throttle for it?

another suggestion is maybe try using a cam out of a honda xr250 or crf250r or something similar?

have you ported the head at all?

and what size piston does it take is it possible to find a HC piston the same size and wrist pin size?

if you could get all those mods on it if not already so i reckon it would go pretty quick for a china

Better than my old hummer hahahah boooooooooooooooooooo boooooooooo click click booooooooooooooooooooooo hahaha

haha i swear it didnt even have an rpm range it like revved at the same rmp the whole way through every gear even when you dropped it down gears quickly

after seeing reading this review and seeing your vids i and another vid on youtube im actually considering one when after i get my next pitty and car like they seem like a alot of fun and it would be my first big bike, im only 6o kg so im sure suspenion would probly be alot better with me on it, did you think of maybe trying an 1/8 turn throttle for it?

another suggestion is maybe try using a cam out of a honda xr250 or crf250r or something similar?

have you ported the head at all?

and what size piston does it take is it possible to find a HC piston the same size and wrist pin size?

if you could get all those mods on it if not already so i reckon it would go pretty quick for a china
yeah i think the result so far has surprised a few people. Yes they are a china, yes they cost only $1400, and no, they arent comparable to a Jap 250...
However, i've proved you can make it comparable performance wise to a jap 250 trailie for under $2k... brand new bike, electric start, water cooled with modern styling, and capable of taking on an XR or TTR for under $2k?? doesnt sound too bad to me... and yes, with your weight, the stock susp would probably be ok, it's just the quality and long term reliability that is the problem. I chose to start modifying the suspension, because the basis of the bike is good, it's the suspension that lets it down..
All good suggestions mate, and ones i have considered for future mods... not sure if the cams will fit, but would be worth a trip to the wreckers to find out. CRF cam definately wont fit, but the XR/XL cam might...
I did think about a 1/8th turn for it, but the idea is that it's rideable for some of my lesser experienced mates, when it's time for the Blitz to be the spare "town bike".. ha ha. the 1/4 turn seems to work pretty well, without being too grabby on the throttle..
The head is yet to be ported, as i'm waiting to see if it actually gives me a reason to tear it down.. but it is on the long term agenda, as is the domed hi-comp piston... i've found a few places on ebay that sell replacement pistons, but i need to tear mine down to confirm the bore diameter and pin height... i'm also curious to know if the old XR280 big bore kits would work in it... (Heh heh... :D)

haha i swear it didnt even have an rpm range it like revved at the same rmp the whole way through every gear even when you dropped it down gears quickly
my Bike in the vid??? or you mean the Hummers??
Better than my old hummer hahahah boooooooooooooooooooo boooooooooo click click booooooooooooooooooooooo hahaha

he he, yeah it goes alwhite for a cheapy...

haha nah not your vids petes hummer it had the old push rod loncins or zongas not quite sure...

But so far have you had anything break like you seem to thrash a bit

^^^ not a thing... :D and the radiator doesnt count, cause i dropped it after giving it a bath.. ha ha..
The only issue i have had other than the suspension leaking quickly, was losing the header pipe nuts, which i fixed by using a second lock nut on each stud.
Aside from that, not a thing has busted yet. :D

today i got my 26mm oko for the blitz, just wondering mine came with a manifold that has a flange at each end but no flange on the carby. is this how every one here that brought one recieved theres or should i be sending an email off to them asking for a manifold with a flange one end and hose fitting at the other end.
secondly the angle of the manifold i way off for the blitz, im considering choppin the flange off the original manifold and attaching to carby by hose conection. how did you guys go fitting yours??

had a quick look, the blitz is liquid cooled unlke this proxr but the proxr has longer travel in the front fork by 65mm, larger fuel tank 8ltr compared to the blitz 5ltr, 10mm lower seat height and all the electric stuff added. oh and i noticed it has the ever so stylish anodoised fuel filter ha ha.

today i got my 26mm oko for the blitz, just wondering mine came with a manifold that has a flange at each end but no flange on the carby. is this how every one here that brought one recieved theres or should i be sending an email off to them asking for a manifold with a flange one end and hose fitting at the other end.
secondly the angle of the manifold i way off for the blitz, im considering choppin the flange off the original manifold and attaching to carby by hose conection. how did you guys go fitting yours??
Hmm.... can you post up a pic of your manifold adaptor? by the sounds of it, you may have received the wrong item. the one you want, should have a two-holed flange one end, where it bolts to the stock manifold, and the other end should be a hose-type fitting... It will also be rubber, with alloy "inners''... when you get the proper adaptor, you will have to grind the "inner" end of the flange side, and drill out the bolt holes, as the "new" type adaptors dont allow enough room to get the bolts through on the standard Blitz intake manifold... i didnt have to with mine, as i got the older style, which has the straight through holes...
But yeah, by the sounds of it, you got the wrong adaptor sent to you...

Nah grimmy, that one is an Apollo/Orion/Atomik AGB37... it looks rather modernised, but it's nowhere near as solid as the Blitz. Forks are pretty spindly, and is a lot smaller. I'm not overly certain the forks actually offer more travel over the Blitz.. The Blitz has full 305mm of fork travel, which would mean the Atomik ProXR would be 370mm.. which i dont believe has been seen on any dirt bike.. The Blitz or the Kuda Pro is a better bike, despite all the LED and sparkly electric stuff. :)

thump* did ur blitz come with 305mm travel? acording to the specs on the website they hav 200mm travel max( thats why i asumed the pro xr had longer travel.
i think i will measure mine tomorow to see wat i got.

i revisited the website that i got the carby from (DHZ) and noticed in the pic the same adapter u mentioned, sent them an email, hopfully they will send me the right part.

ah sweet, lets hope they get the adaptor sorted quickly. Ken is pretty good at sorting those sorta things, he'll be able to sort you out.... :)
Yeah my Blitz came stock with 305mm travel, as yours should too... the advertised 200mm of travel applies to the Kuda Pro, which is similar to the Blitz, but with lesser travel forks...
The Blitz is probably the sole China 250 that has genuine long travel suspension front and rear, that is actually capable of using it's full travel without the rear shock hitting mufflers/batteries etc... :)
oh, once you get your adaptor, if you take the seat, side covers etc off, remove the airbox, then undo the top bolt of the shock, swing it back out the way, fitting the OKO is a breeze.. :)

good to hear that he will be able to sort out the adapter, havnt used dhz before and didnt know how good their service was, hav to give it to them on delivery time, ordered wednesday night and had it this morning. good stuff.

bike is pretty much stripped at the moment ( still goin over it and checking every thing), just another way of doin things i found it easy to remove the carby with the fuel tank removed, did it this way purely because i just re fitted the rear shock yesterday and was a pain trying to fit the spacers i made with holding the shock and fitting the bolt.

Latest posts

Back