2008 Atomik Blitz 250 review

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey awesome work on the review! Just myself one of these blitz 250's and after 5yrs on the kx250f and rmz250, I'm wanting more from this little bad boy. I heard about a few mods to do but need some clarification.
The carby jets.. What's best and wher can I get them?
The airbox hole mod... What size do I cut?
The CDI upgrade.. Are the eBay ones any good?
Is it worth changing to a hi-power coil pack?
Any other tips wld b greatly appreciated!!!
Cheers

cheers thump* that would be great, wen i get a bit of time off work i will drop ya a pm and organise somthing with ya.

just curious does it hav to be a 99model yzf front end? or is there a year range in the yzf that i can choose from?
No it doesnt HAVE to be a 99 YZF400, i used one, cause i have a 99 YZF400 sitting next to the Blitz, and could measure it all before trying the conversion... I've suggested using the 99 model parts, cause they are a simple bolt on swap. Other year models, or even other brands of bikes could fit, but someone else will have to do the measuring up. If you can do all the measurements, you may find other parts will fit.... I'm not sure of the '00 YZF426, as i believe the offset used on the forks, and thus the triple clamps are different to the 99 model 400... same with the 99 YZ two strokes... not sure... would have to be measured, and sadly i'm not that much of a walking wikipedia that i can quote upper and lower fork leg diameters, and triple clamp offsets for seperate year models... lol..
And yeah mate, drop us a PM anytime you want, we'll organise a shed day, can kill all the problems in one hit..
Hey awesome work on the review! Just myself one of these blitz 250's and after 5yrs on the kx250f and rmz250, I'm wanting more from this little bad boy. I heard about a few mods to do but need some clarification.
The carby jets.. What's best and wher can I get them?
The airbox hole mod... What size do I cut?
The CDI upgrade.. Are the eBay ones any good?
Is it worth changing to a hi-power coil pack?
Any other tips wld b greatly appreciated!!!
Cheers

Hey AtomikDrew, yeah the mods in the thread above pretty much cover all the basic stuff you can do to the Blitz to get a bit more performance out of it, and you'll be surprised at the increase just the Flatslide and Muffler mod offer...
Carby jets for the stock carby. Dont bother, you cant tune top end power into the blitz with the stock carby...
Turf the stock carby, and buy a 26mm OKO flatslide and 1/4 turn throttle. Start off with a #k39 pilot jet, and a #K98 or #K100 mainjet. Needle jet on the middle clip.
Dont bother with a 28mm OKO, while the top end rips pretty hard, it's not worth it for the crap idle, and poor bottom end response.
you wont need to cut the airbox if you go with the OKO Flatslide... However if you persist with the stock carby, i cut about a 50X50mm square hole in the side of the airbox..
As for the CDI upgrade, yeah i found it worthwhile... tested back to back with the stock one, the Ebay CDI worked better. Stronger spark, higher redline, and didnt break down in the higher revs... cheap upgrade that's worthwhile basically... :)
As for other tips, well mate, pretty much this entire thread after the initial review is full of tips and hints as to upgrading the blitz.. you should be able to find something in there to get a bit more out of your bike. :)

God, Dammit.... :(

Ok, so i thought i'd better give the big girl a wash after a weekend of riding in sand and salt water...
take a couple of pics for the thread of her all tidied up as a sort of "post script"... take it off the stand to put it away, trip on a friggin hose, and the Blitzkrieg V2.0 goes down...
result: crushed left radiator, broken left shroud with custom graphics now rooted...
Thus i am left looking a bit silly, after recommending as part of the initial setup, to make some radiator guards/brackets, to protect the ridiculously flimsy stock radiators which i predicted would fold like a paperclip in the smallest of tumbles...
Turns out i was right!!!!! so the next part of the build thread will show the radiator guard fabrication, and rear end suspension mods.... anyways, here she is all tubbed up...
Blitzcleaned.jpg

blitzcleaned2.jpg

and the busted radiator... :(
blitzradiatoroops.jpg

One word from you Hillz, and no free hungten roller for you buddy... ;)

<<<<< Holds tight lip
On second thoughts, who am it to censor you Hillz? go on mate, go nuts. :)
You may even use the "H" word if you want. ba ha ha! you'll still get your frame mate. ha ha.

Check out a set of these Thump:

Force Accessories

They will stop that from happening again.

Cheers BarryDawsonMan... will have a looksee, and steal their idea... :D The Thump*140 does not purchase parts he can make himself... lol..
plus the idea of this whole build-up was the idea that it can all be done at home, by the average owner with a few tools, an angle grinder, a welder and some beer. :D

ps: You did well not to poke fun at my clumsiness and homo hoses laying about the place... ha ha ha.

ok so today i was a lil board at work and i decided to start to grease my blitz from head to toe, started with removing triple clamps and found the tiniest spread of grease on 1 bearing only and bearing cups were really loose, my fix was remove cups and using a pin punch and hammer, knocked 8 markings inside the the frame where cups sit at 45deg apart. added with sum loctite "bearing retaining compound" (loctite 609 i think) i tapped them back in (copper hammer of course) and problem solved.

next i moved to the rear shock and as stated ealier in this thread has poor tolerances in the spacing/mounts. ended up making 2x 1.2mm shims for the base of the shock to the linkage,although this doesnt stop shock from swaying side to side, it offers a snug fit to the pivot shaft so the bearings roll on the pivot shaft instead of the pivot shaft rolling on the bolt ( hope ya can unstand what i mean here) also made 2x 1.25mm spacers for the top of the shock mount.

also has anyone considered drilling& tapping a hole for a grease nipple in the rear swing arm where it joins to the frame to keep up the lube in the poor fitting bushing. or would this cause a weak spot maybe?

hmm... spacers in the shock you say... so this mod takes the play out of the linkages?? stops it from rattling?
Wherebouts in rAdelaide are you synergy? might have to organise a time to trade some shed tricks on the Blitzes..

Ok, so i thought i'd better give the big girl a wash after a weekend of riding in sand and salt water...
take a couple of pics for the thread of her all tidied up as a sort of "post script"... take it off the stand to put it away, trip on a friggin hose, and the Blitzkrieg V2.0 goes down...
result: crushed left radiator, broken left shroud with custom graphics now rooted...
Thus i am left looking a bit silly, after recommending as part of the initial setup, to make some radiator guards/brackets, to protect the ridiculously flimsy stock radiators which i predicted would fold like a paperclip in the smallest of tumbles...
Turns out i was right!!!!! so the next part of the build thread will show the radiator guard fabrication, and rear end suspension mods.... anyways, here she is all tubbed up...
Blitzcleaned.jpg

blitzcleaned2.jpg

and the busted radiator... :(
blitzradiatoroops.jpg

One word from you Hillz, and no free hungten roller for you buddy... ;)

oh that's gotta suck man, similar thing happened to me with my old bike, Striped all the plastics off it and was washing the bike, walked away for a sec to get degreaser, i turn around to see the wind blow my bike over onto the trailer, smashed the radiator in big time, but i was able to fix mine with a bit of gentle hammer time lol

Thump*140---
cheers for all ur helpful info! I'm not even gona take my blitz out if the yard b4 I violate it in everyway possible!
Wher can I source the oko26mm from and how much? I'm in sunny Qld, btw, and we seem to b in short supply of the good shops u guys r blessed with in the deep south.
Once again, thanx mate. I'll keep yas posted with how my mods go and c if I conjere up anything else.

One more question...
If I do the muffler cut down and leave stock carby on, wld I expect any gains?? I'm impatient and don't think I cld wait a cpl weeks for the carby to turn up, to ride it. I came off my kx250f 1st wknd of may this yr in 4th gear pinned off a drop and snaped frame at head stem. Ended up ko'd for 20mins and has my left A/C joint reconstructed. It's held together by wire now. And I haven't ridden a dirty since the accident, hence the lack if patience. The missus is skeptical about me gtn back on the dirtys but she understands my passion. Still got my Black Widow Cruizer but just doesn't cut it. I'll post some pix wen I get a chance.

oh that's gotta suck man, similar thing happened to me with my old bike, Striped all the plastics off it and was washing the bike, walked away for a sec to get degreaser, i turn around to see the wind blow my bike over onto the trailer, smashed the radiator in big time, but i was able to fix mine with a bit of gentle hammer time lol
Yeah was not overly impressed... ok, so it's only a blitz, but the time put into this thing is worth more to me than the actual pricetag... was kinda disappointing to see my hard work fall on its ass, and that distinctive noise of radiator folding up... :( lol
Thump*140---
cheers for all ur helpful info! I'm not even gona take my blitz out if the yard b4 I violate it in everyway possible!
Wher can I source the oko26mm from and how much? I'm in sunny Qld, btw, and we seem to b in short supply of the good shops u guys r blessed with in the deep south.
Once again, thanx mate. I'll keep yas posted with how my mods go and c if I conjere up anything else.

Hey Drew, yeah it really doesnt take much to get these motors moving. Mine has literally been a case of bolting on a Rev Box CDI, OKO 26mm and cutting down the muffler... the difference has to be ridden to be believed. :D
as for the carbys, you can pick one up, with everything you need for about $145 from DHZ on ebay. :) postage is simple, and Ken will sort you out very very quickly. :) Just follow the link mate.. :) if you dont have ebay, email Ken at DHZ.com.au
NEW OKO 26mm FLATSLIDE RACE CARBY KIT 140CC 150CC 160CC - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 22-Oct-09 12:10:22 AEDST)

you can get an oko 26mm flatty from ebay for about $110 plus post

One more question...
If I do the muffler cut down and leave stock carby on, wld I expect any gains?? I'm impatient and don't think I cld wait a cpl weeks for the carby to turn up, to ride it. I came off my kx250f 1st wknd of may this yr in 4th gear pinned off a drop and snaped frame at head stem. Ended up ko'd for 20mins and has my left A/C joint reconstructed. It's held together by wire now. And I haven't ridden a dirty since the accident, hence the lack if patience. The missus is skeptical about me gtn back on the dirtys but she understands my passion. Still got my Black Widow Cruizer but just doesn't cut it. I'll post some pix wen I get a chance.

Drew if you have ebay, and paid for the carby today, you would have it by monday or tuesday, Ken is that quick. :)
Cutting the muffler down will have an effect, but it will only increase bottom end power by a lil bit... the big problem with the top end power on the Gen III motor is the gay pumper carby... the OKO is what brings it alive... all the mods are definately worth doing, and if you get the right jets with the OKO, you'll have mine up to the same standard in engine as mine by the middle of next week... Pure China Win...

You got a Black Widow as well? awesome work. I've got an '03 model, ground pounder pipes, hypercharger, forward controls, sidemount plate etc... pics in the Bike Pics thread... hmm. may have a doppleganger out there... you dont own a yz450f and a shedful of china minis as well do you? ha ha

Thump*140---
haha na mate. No shed full of minis yet. The missus won't Cave that much! My black widow is still stock as a rock except jetting and K&N filter and I knocked the guts out of the stock pipes. I made a blue led light kit for it too but they didn't like the vibrations and kept killing led's. I'll try post some pix of my last few rides wen I get a chance. Most likely the wknd. I found the DHZ store on eBay... Oh o!! Haha you've created a monster!!

Mate this thread put the Blitz on the map. My mods will put them through the bush faster. My advice is flawless, my codes are perfect. ba ha ha ha
My slow wheelies on the other hand, are crap. But i still created a Chinga Monster... :D

hmm... spacers in the shock you say... so this mod takes the play out of the linkages?? stops it from rattling?
Wherebouts in rAdelaide are you synergy? might have to organise a time to trade some shed tricks on the Blitzes..

down south, near southgate shops but the bikes kept at work currently (it's where my tools are) near the airport. the spacers i made dont stop the bottom of the shock moving sidways or the linkages, just lets the inner race ( hollow tube thingy) tighten up to the bottom lingages. so the inner race, tube, wateva u want to call it dosnt spin and slide sideways causing wear to the bolts. i hope this takes away the noise, i havnt taken it for a ride yet to find out, if not then i plan to make sum nylothane or polyurathane (wat eva i can get for free) spacers to go between the the linkages themselfs, this will stop the faces of the linkages ever rubbing together. hope this makes sense.

also to anyone getting one of these bikes check ur chain adjusters, i found that mine had been installed back to front and caused a bow on the threaded part of the adjuster due to the threaded rod being offset.

so has anyone drilled a hole in there rear swing arm for placement of a grease nipple to lube up the main pivot between arm and frame?? i plan to do this on the weekend whilst stuck at work but if some one has tried it and it didnt work please let me know.

forgot to add, also check all the bearings are installed corectly, i found that the top of the rear shock was hanging out to one side, causing the rubber dust ring/boot to rub on the mount of the frame and causing the other side of the top of the shock itself to rub on the other side of the frame mount.

Latest posts

Back