2008 DHZ 150 Moster Review

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elliotcocofishing

Reaction score
Hi, I just purchased a DHZ 150 Monster off eBay.
I paid $900 delivered to my door (in Perth).

It came in a reasonably small cardboard box with a aluminium frame. It was packed in very tightly.
I had to put on: Handlebars, Front wheel, rear fastace shocks and front mudguard.

After I put it together I was faced with the horror of it not starting, I took out the plug, wiped it, dunked it in petrol, put it back - Nothing, I removed all the plastics and fueltank to check the hidden CDI unit and electrics, unplugged everything, and put it back - Nothing still. Once again I thought what could be the problem, i took of the left side cover of the engine, where the stator is, took it all out and put it back - Nothing again.

As a last ditch effort i chucked the old NGK spark plug and put in a new one (not NGK) - Fired right up, so i found that I endured 4 hours of going through the bike only to find that a $5 spark plug was the problem.

I switched on the fuel tap which rubs against the CRF50 style radiator shrouds (It has a reserve setting on it aswell) and took it for a spin around the block (It was 5 o' clock and it was just a test drive). At first I was utterly dissapointed, i realised that The clutch cable required a simple 20second adjustment, I fiddle around and kicked it. Boy, did it peform, it might be the high octane fuel I use or it might be the potent 150cc oil cool engine, either way it had very good power and could pop a wheelie in 4th cog.

It has a strange (to me) gear configuration
N-1-2-3-4(possibly 5?).
It is very light and nimble, I could put 1 foot on the ground and hold the front wheel off the ground.

I brought it back inside the garage and switched the DHZ mini moto graphics to some monster energy graphics, suits the bike well (monster, get it, don't worry, bad joke).

Some of the quality products included in this deal are the fastace rear shocks, the adjustable front forks (I now have Marzocchi though), the unbreakable levers and very nice touches to make the bike stand out from the crowd.

I think to make this bike the best that it can be I think some better handlebars would be nice and better quality handlebars controls.

Here are some of the pictures I took after putting the new black plastics with the Monster graphics fitted. (Marzocchi Forks Not Shown)

DHZ150001.jpg

DHZ150002.jpg

DHZ150003.jpg

Overall considering that they sell it for $1700 on the DHZ website I think I got a very good deal, and I am definately happy now that I have resovled the little problem.

It has a broad powerband with and excellent sound and it is a very well mad bike, even though it is Chinese. You may need to Purchase a spark plug before you ride this bike.

Cheers, Elliot

nice 1 elliot

i do like these they look different ,hate the red frame but thats me
very good price mate ,makes me wonder why ppl expect to sell these second hand for 800 ,have fun

well i have the 140 version and they are great bikes....great review elliot and some better grips really do go far on it i put some oury bmx grips on they are nice and soft i do have a review about them in the tech review section so you should consider buying new grips i do agree with snitchy i dont like the red frames as much due to i think it over does it in red but it does look rather good with the graphics on it great job elliot

My mate had the 140 version. I never liked them. They are around the same height as a 85cc 2 stroke which makes it hard to ride around on 50/ minibike tracks.

yeah, I don't like the frame much, I wanted a darkish grey frame, it was red or blue, and I didn't want blue.

It runs really rich and has fouled the new plug I put in, How can I make it run leaner? please reply

cheers,
Elliot

To lean it off , There is a gold flathead screw at the bottom of the carb near the manifold , you want to wind that outwards around 0.5- 1 turn at a time. Also you can raise the Eclip poisition on the needle. Just take the tank off , take off the carb cap pull out the slide push the spring up and you willl see a longish needle , there is a clip on it . To lean it off move the clip up 1 slot from the centre (3rd slot from bottom). This raises the needle and lean's it off .

as unit stated

also look in tech help there plenty of carbie tuts in there im sure you caN work it out

cool, There is a few problems with this bike though, not major but annoying, My next bike will be a pitster pro hopefully, maybe a motovert.

when you get this bike remember it is chinese not Japanese so you might need to grab some tranquilisers when you go to pick up the stator for this bike....

Hey Elliot good buy there.
I got this bike 6months ago and yeh that is half what i paid for mine lol.
So far this is the list of things that have gone wrong:-
*Buckled front rim (my fault for going over jump with no down ramp)
*bolts came loose on rear sprocket but notice this before it did any damage
*Broke rear subframe (again could be my pushing it too hard)
*broke clutch lever - yes it was the fold back ones
*clutch cable broke
*accelerator cable broke
*bent footpeg mounts (again my fat ass problem)
*seat getting a little ripped now
*gasket between carby manifold & engine came out a bit and was letting too much air into engine (that was a 1hr problem of kicking it over that I dont wont to do again lol)
*rear shock blown oil and ended up like a pogo stick was so bouncy - do yourself a favour and get a DNM shock from MSO.
*burnt my leg and mates legs on exhaust pipe - do your leg a favour and get some exhaust wrap and put it around lol

Can you believe I still love this bike even with all of these issue's, well I do ride it pretty hard so what can you expect lol. Ride hard or go home
Jonesy

yeah ive just recently got rid of my 150 dhz it just kept burnig out the irk but other than that i had no problems with it. your right they are rockets my mates have 140 motoverts an i beat them in a straight line an would have on the track but for them having been riding longer than me... great price i paid $1400 for mine but it was still not even run in when i got it i bought it of some rich kid in trigg. it was a bit pricey but a wanted the power.

I picked up mine for similar price in near new condition with receipts for 1800 purchase! Gets ridden hard and loves it specially with irk and bigger carb. Bring on the 153cc kit and race cam!

Latest posts

Back