360mm shock blown, have a stock nitrous one are the seals interchangeable?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zwebx

Reaction score
They both look the same..
do i really need nitrogen in the shocks or can i charge it with air for similar results? if not what will be the problem

also how can i take them apart (i assume compress the spring and grab the top spring adjuster side in a vice and crack the top off with a adjustable spanner?)

also how much oil approx needs to be in them ?

i remember reading that nitrogen doesn't hold water like air does,
so the internals may rust and block oil passages ?

to reduce the tendency for the oil to cavitate under heavy use. This causes foaming which temporarily reduces the damping ability of the unit. In very heavy duty units used for racing or off-road use, there may even be a secondary cylinder connected to the shock absorber to act as a reservoir for the oil and pressurized gas.

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_absorber

i will probably just use air because the shock probably wont last long anyway

air will get hot and expand, nitrogen won't.

okay got her apart.. pretty cool how there put together.. Any way all the seals look good (o-rings and whatnot) maybe they have shrunk.. the oil was dirty as expected will post pics soon

i've heard of people running air
The theory is using air can cause them to rust, and the pressure changes a bit more with temperature
But from what I read it's not that big of a deal in practice, it's not like its suddenly going to go bung. I'd expect at least a year or 2 of reasonable use before you notice any ill effects

If it was a shock from a fullsize jap/euro bike I probably wouldn't as they cost a bloody heap to replace. But this? who cares

Most tyre places have nitrogen available, cant see it costing more than a few bucks, my local place offer to fill your tyres with it for 20bucks for 4 tyres

ahh while if its that cheap, i just did not want to have to go through a shock rebuilding bloke and get charged.. but before i do that i will chuck the new seals in

Latest posts

Back