Adding a light, but whats this plug?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At idle one yellow was around 3,7-4.9 thats with positive on yellow and negative on engine. the other wire barley had anything coming from it about .01-.03

and if I connect neg probe to one yellow and positive probe on multimeter to the other yellow I am getting 13.07-14.07 AC

Flywheel and stator are fine on the engine.
It's a normal outer rotor kit, someone must have fitted that gear position indicator at some stage.
The regulator you linked looks like a half wave reg/rect, i will see what i can work out.

Ive been searching everywhere for this full wave reg/rec but cant find any, would you have a link I can get one from?

So found this, is it some kind of alarm, not connected to anything so I ripped it out. that black circle on the frame is like a button for something, see pic20151011_152152 (2).jpg

Not sure what it was for?
Does it still start and run ?

yeah kicks over, runs no problem. It had 4 striped wires tucked up underneath, not connected to anything. strange

So I thought I'd just pop up a quick pic of how the light is installed. I'm still waiting for my reg/rec to fully wire it up but the is just off a battery. I know the pics don't do much justice, but it is pretty bright. well brighter than the my big bikes

20151013_102614.jpg20151013_102635.jpg20151013_102851.jpg

Hi my67xr,
Ok so got all the bits and wired everything up like this...
New wiring with wsitch.gif
I haven't tested the light yet but he pos+ and neg- that the light plugs into (after the reg/rec) I'm only getting 6.8-7.2V DC when the bike is at idle, when I rev it a little it goes up to 12-13V, and if I blip the throttle it goes up to 18V

does this seem right to you?
Im too scared to attach the light at this time in case it goes pop.

Attachments

• New wiring setup22.gif
    New wiring setup22.gif
    14 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The reg/rect need's a load put on it to work properly.
Can you put a car globe there and try it with that?
just use a car indicator bulb, put the negative wire from the reg/rect to the body of the bulb and the positive wire from the reg/rect to the tip of the bulb

ok so I put a bulb om it and it was very dim, put the multimeter on it and at idle was 4.6V then I reved it abit and went to 6V
any idea?

I have to suss out my 190 stator to run 12v off it but i wont get a chance till the weekend
It has 2x yellow wire's too, i just need a new full wave reg/rect, but i need to go see a mate that has some pitbike part's and i'll see if he has one.
Then i can work out if it can be modified to put out more voltage, you can convert them to a half wave style lighting coil by earthing 1 yellow wire.
But yeah, i wont have a definate answer till the weekend.
How much of a hurry are you in ?

I'll measure the new reg/rect too and post up the pin out diagram and reading's i get, just so you can double check your's is wired correctly as well.

sweet no worries. Im not in a huge rush, just wanted it all working so I can put the bike back together.
Thanks for your help mate, Appreciate it

I have to suss out my 190 stator to run 12v off it but i wont get a chance till the weekend
It has 2x yellow wire's too, i just need a new full wave reg/rect, but i need to go see a mate that has some pitbike part's and i'll see if he has one.
Then i can work out if it can be modified to put out more voltage, you can convert them to a half wave style lighting coil by earthing 1 yellow wire.
But yeah, i wont have a definate answer till the weekend.
How much of a hurry are you in ?

I'll measure the new reg/rect too and post up the pin out diagram and reading's i get, just so you can double check your's is wired correctly as well.

Hi Craig, any progress with your findings? Also when I earth out the light wire, I have it going to the engine mount at the top between frame and bolt. will that be ok?

Yeah sort of.
I bought a full wave reg/rect off ebay, when it arrived it was a half wave reg/rect
I contacted him and told him the picture in his ebay listing (reg/rect with the fin's on the side) was the one i wanted, not the flat sided model he sent.
The seller said he'd been selling them for 7 year's on ebay and had never heard of a fullwave reg/rect and none of his buyer's ever had a problem with them.
I didn't bother trying to explain it all to him, too hard!
But anyway he offered me my money back if i sent it back to him, i thought stuff it, by the time i send it back then i lose money on postage and have kept it.
So i went out north and bought a new one off the SA DHZ dealer i know.

On the way home from getting the reg/rect i called in and spoke to the motorcycle electrician about it.
I told him about the stator with 2x yellow wire's and he confirmed that it is a full wave, and that the reg/rect with the fin's on the side is the right one to use.
We also checked the pin out's for it and it has the same wiring as the half wave reg/rect (except the white wire in to pin 3 is yellow)
The only thing is it may need a capacitor or 2 to help stabilise the voltage.
I haven't had a chance to get over to Jaycar to buy a couple

And yeah the earth should be fine to the engine.

Thanks Craig, I noticed you asked for a reg/rec with fins on the side, I never noticed mine that got delivered also has no fins but the item picture I purchased does.
12V Regulator Rectifier 50cc 90cc 110 125cc Dirt PIT Bikes ATV Quad | eBay
So I followed all your instructions on testing the reg/rec and with all the combinations of testing, the only reading I get back is if neg is on pin 1 (top left) and pos on pin 3 (bottom left) its .600

Would this be why when I rev the engine it spikes all over the place 16v 32v etc..

Latest posts

Back