Advice on a new 4stroke

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would definitely help those willing to offer advice if you post what you are looking for in the bike you are interested in buying. My initial advice though is to stay well, well away from early model 250cc four stroke motocross bikes. That includes 'X' model Honda's. Also, why are you confused after doing some research??

?! how can you say to steer clear of the 'X' model hondas!? :/ dude. the XR is one of the most bullet proof bikes EVER built...

I think the OP needs to give us some more information such as previous riding experience, what the bike is going to be used for..commute/trailer/MX etc.
What their budget is.

Id personally steer clear of the CRF range of hondas.. for the $$ they cost in both maintenance and initial purchase, a well looked after older model is easily obtainable with money to spare on other goodies, such as rego, license, gear, etc.

so.. OP.. Help us help you..
What do you want out of this 250?
What is your budget?
What is your previous riding experience?
Are you willing to do the ongoing maintenance yourself?

Ok,

i want a little poke out of a new bike, it will be used for trail riding.
I have a budget of 4000 aud.
I currently own a 125 fourstroke, and am quite a good rider.
i am willing to do the ongoing maitenence myself.

I dont really want made before 2000, prefere something like 2002-2005, also what is wrong with the crf 250x?
I am looking to buy 2nd hand.

Im interrested in the bike in the link^^. I just dont know what model bike to go with, what are the xr250's like?

I got a 08 KX250F for around that money...
Bike is nuts... Plenty of grunt, and the suspension on these things is insanely good... Cant even count the number of times I thought I was off, but the bike just corrects itself...

You gotta remember also, that CRF is a road version.. they are de-tuned, and the gearing and suspension is alot different... theyre setup for the road... A massive difference compared to a true motocrosser...
A mate has that exact bike and recons its like a big armchair... just comfy and easy to ride... whereas my Kawi is a bit angry and designed to be ridden hard....

?! how can you say to steer clear of the 'X' model hondas!? :/ dude. the XR is one of the most bullet proof bikes EVER built...

I think the OP needs to give us some more information such as previous riding experience, what the bike is going to be used for..commute/trailer/MX etc.
What their budget is.

Id personally steer clear of the CRF range of hondas.. for the $$ they cost in both maintenance and initial purchase, a well looked after older model is easily obtainable with money to spare on other goodies, such as rego, license, gear, etc.

so.. OP.. Help us help you..
What do you want out of this 250?
What is your budget?
What is your previous riding experience?
Are you willing to do the ongoing maintenance yourself?

Is an XR a motocross bike?? NO!! I said stay away from early model 250cc four stroke motocross bikes, including the 'X' model, Honda's enduro spec of the CRF250R. Dont know how you got steer clear of XR's out of that ??????

Ok,

i want a little poke out of a new bike, it will be used for trail riding.
I have a budget of 4000 aud.
I currently own a 125 fourstroke, and am quite a good rider.
i am willing to do the ongoing maitenence myself.

I dont really want made before 2000, prefere something like 2002-2005, also what is wrong with the crf 250x?
I am looking to buy 2nd hand.

Well, if you are looking at a 250cc four stroke motocross bike, then you wont have to worry about buying pre 2000. The first 250cc four stroke motocross bike was released by Yamaha in 2001. Honda, Kawasaki and Suzuki didnt release their 250cc four stroke motocross bikes until 2004. The key to buying a second hand four stroke motocross bike is to find one with low hours and as new as possible. For $4000, you can start looking at a much later model bike. I just bought an 08 YZ250F for $3000. If you do some more research and get to know what you are looking at, or even better, get some help when looking at bikes, there are some very good deals on second hand four stroke motocross bikes as they are hard to sell. This has meant the price on all second hand bikes has seriously dropped in the last couple of years. Good for buying, sux when you want to sell. I think you need to keep on looking, and give that 250 X a miss. Too much and too old for the budget you have. You will be able to find something much better. There are some good deals on ebay occasionally, but most of the time, most are asking for too much money. Also, if you are coming off a 125cc four stroke, any 250cc four stroke motocross bike is going to be plenty of power for you. I think you might even be surprised.

hmmmm. so what is yamahas maitinence like?
my dad had a yami, very reliable bike, its just it was a older model

I will be able to get a bike regested soon so would prefere something road legal

Yeah, the Yamaha's are some of the most reliable bikes going round. If you were looking at a WR, the alloy framed WR's are great bikes, very versatile and very reliable. Still need regular maintenance, and shouldn't really be ridden on the road alot, but are great off road.

what is kwaks's ,yahahas or susuki equivilant of a road legal crf250x

Latest posts

Back