air filter cleaning

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malibu17

Reaction score
hey,

i recently got a CRF100F and im just wondering how i should clean the air filter. Is it okay if i wash it in water then wait for all the water to soak out of it then spray the airfilter oil on?

theres a couple of ways..
i clean in kero and then hot soapy water then let it dry or air dry it with a compressor then filter oil it..
buy a proper air filter cleaning kit.

one thing not to use is fuel/petrol as it will dissolve any glue used to hold the foam together..

I use fuel and use some 3 second special glue my old man has if it comes apart, I dont like the idea of water on air filter as its not very good if it gets in the motor, but everyone has a different way but I find soapy water is not needed.

one thing not to use is fuel/petrol as it will dissolve any glue used to hold the foam together..

Thats a good point but I have been cleaning mine with petrol for ages, and my unifilter hasnt shown any sign of degradation.
So kero is the way? and it the water just to get rid of the kero left in it?

yeah, how is water getting in the carby...
you remove the filter to clean it and dry it...

a proper unifilter will last thru petrol cleaning but most OEM filters will not, specially china ones..

wash it with petrol it evaporates really quick so you dont have to wait very long till you can ride again

yeah, how is water getting in the carby...
you remove the filter to clean it and dry it...

a proper unifilter will last thru petrol cleaning but most OEM filters will not, specially china ones..

yeah I get what your saying but I mean the carby is sucking air in through the filter so tiny particles of water could get through but yeah, letting it dry for a bit should be fine.
so kero doesnt break down anything but removes mud and stuff good?

Petrol is a no no! Not only does it weaken the glue but it also deteriorates the foam which ends up letting more dust particles through. Use Kero or turps then let it dry and oil. When putting your filter back on use a very small amount of grease around the outside of the intake on the carby to get a good 100% dust proof seal.

People saying dont use water coz water isnt good for the engine I say WTF? You dont clean your filter while on the bike and you dont put it on while its dripping wet so water in your engine from cleaning your filter should never even be an issue.

kero is the best..
and a little water particles isnt going to damage anything..

for a little extra info... people have been using water injection to spray water into inlet manifolds for decades.. it lowers combustion temps and and allows higher than normal compression to be used with lower octane fuels...
most common engine build it was used on was draw through carby turbo setups with water/methanol injection.

Thanks for that Thump, very helpful.
When you talk about using very small amount of grease, what do you mean.
I dont add anything to help it slide on if thats what your talking about?

you could also go with a cleaning kit . i use no toil which comes with a cleaning powder u just add to water. It also comes with oil and rim grease (youve got a dirty mind) lol but its good to help create a seal so nothing get through into the motor.

Thanks for that Thump, very helpful.
When you talk about using very small amount of grease, what do you mean.
I dont add anything to help it slide on if thats what your talking about?

Just a small amount of grease on your finger and rub it around the outside of the inlet. Its not really a big deal but it just helps to make sure you have a dust proof seal.

Keep it simple and buy air filter cleaner and oil.
I use No Toil cleaner and oil. Think it cost me about $25 for the cleaner, oil and rim grease. Also Biodegradable so i'm doing my bit for the environment haha
It last AGES too!

NoToil-3Pk%20Oil1CleanerGrease.jpg

Latest posts

Back