Anyone had any experience with the Yamaha FZR250 ?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

my67xr

Miniriders Legend and Master Spanner Spinning Mode
Reaction score
I'm looking for a cheap road bike to get a bit of road riding experience on, i have found an FZR250 which look's alright and fit's my budget
Just wondering if anyone has owned or ridden one ?
Anything to look out for ?
I have heard the reg/rect's can be a problem but i can sort that out, other thing is leaky fork seal's
And carby's like to be kept clean, as they do on most bike's

Another bike i've found is a Suzuki Across 250, anyone have any comment's ?

I haven't owned or ridden either.
But I know known a few people with the across and they were all happy with theirs over their restrictions period

Thank's, the Suzuki has been sold so it's not in the running anymore

FZR250, CBR250, ZX2R (pre-modern). All very the same. Out of them all the ZX2R had the most power. I had one of those on my L's and P's, was a great bike.

Never ridden an FZR, when I was on my P's 10 years ago there wasn't too many available, so now they'd be rare!

I would keep an eye on the usual when it comes to buying one.
Fork seals, bearings etc. If you go inspect it, inspect it on a COLD engine, not warmed up. Hold your hand over the exhaust to see if its just condensation that comes out and not oil etc. Check for smoke. How many km's?

It's done 53,000 km's
It's had a recent service, oil and filter, new spark plug's, and the front caliper's were honed and new piston's and a service kit put through it.
It didn't have a battery but we started it with a jumper pack, started pretty easy and idled well once the choke was off.
Rev's pretty nice, no hesitation's etc
Tyre's are still soft and it look's pretty tidy, hasn't been ridden far or had rego for 4 year's
The previous owner swapped the fairing over to some 2005 gear, wish he still had the original stuff
Engine is the 46hp @16,000 rpm model
I got it for $1000.

yamaha_fzr250r_a1245151383b2770243_3_orig.jpg

Last edited:
The night before i went to look at it i found another bike, it was a Repsol NSR150 for the same price but it needed new lower fairing's
Would be a fun learner's bike but not too practical if i wanted to go on a long ride, they've got too skinny tyre's as well, i'd rather something a bit wider/bigger.

150SPright.jpg

When the FZR rev's it sound's like a GP bike, with 12/1 compression, inline 4 250cc redline's at 18,500 rpm, maximum torque is at 12,000 rpm
My wife though it was pretty quiet though.
Turning circle isn't the best, it need's 3 metre's to hook a u turn but you get that with road bike's

One of my mates back in tassie owns one of those nsr 150s, think he has added a bbk to it now, but even with just the aftermarket pipe on it sounded so good, and went pretty good to.
Those inline 4s do scream to though, anything that revs to 18000rpm sounds good ;)

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Nice looking buy you will have heaps of fun on it. A good learning bike for sure

Hopefully Timmeh check's this thread out when he's on next, i reckon he used to own a Fizzer (bigger one i'm guessing) too.
He may be able to give me an idea what to check out on it.
One thing i don't like is the valve clearance's are done by shim's, so that'll be an extra expense to it's maintenance.
Oh well, it beat's riding a 250 single or 250 twin anyday.

Stu that's the grey trailer i fixed the floor in and painted blue that i was telling you about
I reckon it's fit 2x pitbikes' facing forward and one backward's, but it'd be a bit awkward tying then in

Trailer came up pretty bloody good mate! Like i said im happy with what ever, so long as the 3 bikes fit in it i will work out a way to tie them down ;)

Sent from my SM-T110 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back