Anyone looking for an Apprentice?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GooseMan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have just finished school 2 days ago and am now looking for an apprenticeship in motorcycle mechanics and I am wondering if there is anyone in SA looking or knows someone looking for an apprentice? Any feed back is appreciated.

Thanks

Russell

Buy a Braaap franchise, then you can be whatever you want! Think about it

Rip the kids mum's off you mean.

If he wants to get started in the bike business, might be an easy way for him. Just a suggestion.

Over priced they are, but they sell plenty of them!! In fact I hear there is a braaap dealer in WA now!!

im my opinion there are much better ways of getting into business than dealing in lies & question dodging like braaap does.

Dealer in WA you say... i will have to track it down & have a look see

Yes i agree, however one can do business with his own ethics, not someone elses. Anyway, getting an apprenticeship is difficult these days, braaap does hire apprentices at least. I wonder how many left handed screwdrivers they have there?

yes, I think it is a kawasaki dealer selling them.

Yeah I probably wouldn't recommend the franchise bit.

Goose I'm not sure if you've got your heart set on being a moto mechanic but if you haven't then have a think about what else is out there. I know the motorcycle mechanic thing would be interesting but it's not exactly a massively sought after job (possibly hard to get work) and I don't think it really pays that well unless you're quite reputable with your own workshop or something. I know a moto mechanic, does 6 days a week, works in a ****ty small arse workshop under horrible florescent lights 9 hours a day, always covered in grease and crap, has to fix lawnmowers in his spare time to pay bills. Sounds glamorous, right?

You're young man so have a look around at what else is out there, there are sooooooo many different things you could be, literally an unimaginable amount of prospects out there for you. Have a look around a bit more, next time you're driving somewhere look out the window and take note of what you see, what interests you - Fitness? (I have a friend who is a trainer for some AFL team), construction? (I work in construction, good money and plenty of work - you could be a portable crane operator and do jobs in a different location every day), IT? (I don't know much about IT but I know a lot of people love it and have very comfortable lifestyles because of it), trade? (I know plenty of sparkys on good money, landscapers, landscape designers if you're a bit creative, chippies, plumbers), media (photography, videography, music), design (you could make your own line of watches, toys, clothes, furniture, pocket knives, whatever), wine making, upholster, etc etc etc there are a million jobs out there!

I know this ended up being a really long winded post, and I mean no disrespect to any moto mechanics on here, I just want to show this guy there are a million avenues out there that you should look into before you decide what you really want to devote your life to.

+1

I was a mechanic, even worked on race cars for a few years, did the Aus tour with race boat teams, that was nice, fun, interesting and CLEAN. Then I went on to work for a guy that did car yard roadies, I quit because of what the car yards wanted, very dodgy. Then i spent 20 years in the CD industry and traveled the world, heaps better.

**** being a mechaninic

I hear what your saying but just haven't really found anything else that floats my boat you know. Have been doing work experience at victor motorcycles this week and been watching the and learning etc, these guys have a nice work shop all clean and tidy and are really happy doing what they do. And I know pay is not crash hot but i'd rather do something i love then earn a heap of money and be bored etc.
Anyway I'll keep my eye out for something else of interest, was thinking maybe something marine related building or fibre glassing of some kind but have heard that can be a not very nice job.

Thats the key, do what you love, good luck mate

im lookin for one in melbourne... doin my pre app in automotive and everything

russ,
get a Resume and heap of photo's of your builds/bikes etc,etc together,
and head down to Coast Yamaha, and Peter Steven's motorcycle and any other bike places around.
ask to speak to the workshop manager/foreman and ask him if they are hiring any apprentices?
tell them how you've been fixing your bikes, troubleshooting and modifying, upgrading them etc.
offer to do some work experience for them even, you may even get some $$ if they are happy with your work.
you might get lucky if you show them how keen you are, it will all help you in the long run.

good luck mate!

let us know how you go too!

cheers, craig

O'Halloran Hill Tafe have a Prevocational Motor Mechanical course too iirc.
it wasn't that expensive, it can also help get your leg in the door

i did it 29 years ago there

O'Halloran Hill Tafe have a Prevocational Motor Mechanical course too iirc.
it wasn't that expensive, it can also help get your leg in the door

i did it 29 years ago there

there dropping it from swinburne next year....

Thanks craig, have allready put in a resume into all the local bike stores including coast yammy and yammy world with all the details of what I have done but didn't think to print out pics etc, will remember that for next time.
I did my last day of work exp today and they were very happy with me but there simply was no need for my staff at this moment. They did give me some oil, a gasket for my ds80 and a sick cap.

good work,

i would be calling in to see the places in person, just to ask them if they got your resume, shows you are keen

edit- your pm replied to as well.

Last edited:
^^ taking the restrictor off the Suzuki makes it a Yamaha ?????

Latest posts

Back