Anyone own a 4WD van?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickaninny

Reaction score
Am on the look out for either a Mitsubishi L300 4WD van( one here in Cairns for $4500 but needs motor work) or a Mitsubishi Delica 4WD van(substantially more expensive but nicer to drive)

I need something big enough to camp out of and have room for a pitty, a dog and maybe a mate(not sure on mate, trying to get a pommy backpacker chick to come with me:D )
Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Budget approx. $5000

look at the older single cab lux's.. possibly a LWB MQ patrol.. should be able to get a half decent 4wd (not a VAN! lol) for 5k! Outer Limits 4x4 Board :: Index always bargains popping up..
Keep us posted on what you are looking at and research whatever it is you decide on... haymes manuals come in handy to for outback repairs ;)

hmmm i was with an english backpacker a coupe fo years ago.. her old man had two aston martins.. and pics of her in them to prove it! an yeh.. she went off lol... ;)

LMAO cheers foolsp33d I knew I could rely on you to help:D I thought a van cause im not planning on full on off roadin just if i see a dirt road I want to be able to see where it goes and if I do get bogged etc... 4WD is handy. Not to mention then extra space of the van plus easy loading unloading of pitty(planning of riding anywhere only the side of the highway that looks fun:D in and out in 15 mins-no cops)
Love the pommy chicks like u said go off!;)

The van is the way to go. I would get a L300 over a Delica as parts are easy to obtain (I have seen a Delica sit in a panel shop for 4 months waiting for parts).

Have you looked at VW syncro? The hot German backpackers may be more inclined to get into one of these. And if you have ever seen any German adult movies this may be either a good thing or bad depending on your upbringing.

LMAO Cass yeah seen a few stick flicks in my day:D . Prob is Im in Cairns so choice is very limited. I think I will go with a L300 though.

The express (austrailain delivered) is the way I would go, I just thought I would throw in the vee dub in case you hadent thought of it.

You dont happen to know what the AUSTRALIA POST vans are do you? I have a feeling they are FORD Transit but I m sure they are not 4WD.
but would have more then enough room for bike,bed and dog:D
Also is there such a thing as 4WD hiace? or similar(toyota or Nissan). I also seen an Isuzu(old but looked tuff as)4WD van today.:eek:

get a vw combie! jack it abit and stick some nice 4wd type tyres on it! they are cheap and reliable! we have never been able to get our old vw bettle bogged!

aus post uses everything from transits down to mighty boys in some areas. The transit isnt a 4x4 but the are 4x4 hiaces (i think they run hilux diff etc). Combies arnt to easy for loading bikes if outfitted for campin as they only have a side door and a nasty tendency to catch fire in warmer climates

ah yes....the EFI 2L... ive worked on one of these and seen plent beside the road, the electrical system of these has about reached the end of thier life span. I wouldnt sugest them if your chasing reliability

sorry if i seem rude, i just have a bad habit of being to blunt about explaining things

Side load is no problem I nearly always use the side door on my van and hardly ever use the rear.
The T3 VW really only has side loads but the T4 has the engine in the front comes in petrol and diesel. But parts are as dear as poison so I would not get one. You can get a 4WD Hiace and I am sure that they would be better than the Express but I have only ever seen a couple of them in my life where 4x4 express vans are everywhere.
Fools will prpbably jump in here and suggest putting a serria chassis under a suziki carry van to have the best custome van around.

Cheers guys.
Main things I want are reliability and comfort(hence the Delica,cant afford one but) 4wd not the main thing but I dont want to turn around while exploring if I have to cross a creek, climb a nasty hill etc...
Plus would prefer rear door loading of bike.
LOL the Isuzu I seen today had Mickey Thompson tyres and looked old but sh!t hot....

Combis too expensive now and like you said have a tendency to turn into flamethrowers if overheated. Seen 1 on the side of the highway last year. I thought the owner was having a big session-till i got closer and the smoke smelled like rubber and plastic.

Aussie post van im thinking of is tall enuff to stand upright in the back. Approx. 1.8m-2.0m high from floor to ceiling(would be a bastard to drive round corners but I wont be in a big hurry anyway)

that sounds like a transit to me, unless you can afford a merc. sprinter van :p

My last workplace had a sprinter and it had 3 gear selectors replaced in under 100,00kms.
Something that is easy to get parts for would be handy too. Dont want to be stuck somewhere for weeks if something breaks.
Thanks for the input.
LOL I think the suzi idea is great but i dont want to sleep in the foetal position for 8 hours straight:D

i could sell you a daihatsu scat 4x4 with a buggered body and i know a bloke whos selling a daihatsu handyvan, put them 2 together:p

LMAO dont get me wrong but i thought scat was a term used to describe ummmm. well type scat into google image search youll get the idea:eek:BTW i hope you got a strong stomach and are over 18

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back