Anyone work with chemicals?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trezza

Reaction score
Hey all, lately I've been doing a bit of electroplating and anodizing, electroplating is where you run electricity through a bath of chemicals which plates a thin layer of XXXXX metal onto your item for example if you wanted to chromify some bits on your bike. Anodizing s where you use electricity to slighty corrode a metal to make small pits which are filled with a dye/paint, for example you can buy EXCEL Rims for motorbikes in polished silver but you can also buy coloured rims as anodized black/gold/red/blue etc. Anodizing is better than paint because it doesn't chip or scratch, the colour actually becomes part of the metal, it's embedded into the surface.

At the moment I'm limited to some really basic chemicals, like vinegar (acetic acid) copper sulphate (bluestone) salt (sodium chloride) and household things.

I'm after some sulphuric acid, best bet would be 98% concentration which si fairly standard for industrial use, I believe it's cheaper to buy a higher concentration and dilute it with water than to buy it premixed.

So does anyone know of anywhere I could get this without looking too suspicious?

Last edited:
I know that you can buy high concerntrate hydrochloric acid at th hardwear store ?? Th stuff we get can leave corrosion signs on working boots ..I don't know about sulfuric acid but hydrochloric might do the job ? :)

battery acid?

no.

You can find some chemical suppliers pretty easily on the internet by searching the chemicals you need and then contacting them.

Just remember, the voltage you need, has to be accurate - very accurate.

Also have you done enough research? You need to get the MSDS informtion for the chemicals your using, as inhalation of the combined chemicals are cancerous. Gas mask?

It's a pretty timely and expensive hobby to get into.

Last edited:
I've done lots of research and I understand the risks. I'm still interested in trying to get better results by using different chemicals

You could try your local pool supplies. they have all sorts of acids of all types of concentrations and there is a few whole salers that will sell to you if you get an abn

I've done lots of research and I understand the risks. I'm still interested in trying to get better results by using different chemicals

Yer just make sure you got a gas mask, its serious when cancerous chemicals are involved. You can get them on ebay for like $20, but you need a chemical one.

Many people dont use them, but its so stupid, when $20 can save you 10 years of your life further down the road.

Latest posts

Back