Are Lifan Engines DC or AC?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

middleway

Reaction score
Setting my Atomik 140cc up with Rec rego, need a voltage regulator apparently, Are they an AC or DC system?
Cheers

if your bike has the charge coil on the stator it should produce AC current(alternating current) then when connected to a voltage regulator it then gets converted to DC(direct current) to charge the battery and feed the lights...

an atomik 140cc im guessing has a yx140 engine, you would have to see if it has the correct stator for charging.
if it doesnt then you can swap in one that does..

I bought it new from atomik and they said it was a lifan in the ad... how can I tell?
I am pretty useless when it comes to electrical stuff, what does the charge coil look like? :confused:

have you got a pick of your bike.. most times ya can tell just by looking at it.
easiest way to tell is by the amount of wires in the stator wiring loom

if it has the oil cooling tubes coming from the head it's a YX, if they come from the crank case it's a Lifan.

YX 140's used to come with IRK's, then to fix this issue they swapped the IRK with a heavy flywheel and a POS stator with no lighting coil.

The pipes for the oil cooler come from the head so its a yx then? Should I be pissed off as I specifically went for one with a lifan engine as from what I read at the time they were the better motor. But since then I have read people saying the YX is a better engine. What gives?
I don't know what an IRK is?? Design problem?
There is an identical bike to mine on ebay at the moment (pfft, $1K, I got mine for $660 in the create! )
Anyway, this is the pic, dunno if its detailed enough that you can tell me anything about it. Is this the YX model with the problem you talked about?
Thanks

you have a YX motor and that's a good thing, they are much tougher than the lifan 140, I have both and have looked inside both... YX is way better.

If your YX is like mine it will have a very simple stator that does not make power for lights, easy fix, get a new lifan 140 stator for $25 or so, then you need a voltage regulator for like $10, that's all you need to be able to run lights

atomik is not a good brand i regret buying my bikes from there

DVD did your 140 not come with this stator MAGNETO STATOR PLATE LIFAN 140CC ENGINE PITBIKE - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 29-Nov-09 02:16:58 AEDST)

thats what mine came with out of the box...and i dont think iv pulled a lifan 140 apart with the round stator coils..only yx140's have had them

also i think this is advertised correctly KDF-Magneto Stator Ignition Plate for Lifan 125-140 ENG - eBay Other Makes, Bike Parts, Motorcycle Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 26-Nov-09 00:59:30 AEDST)
its just that if you were to use it you would also need the magneto..

ok, seems strange tht you have had the complete opposite to what i have had and seen standard in engines...

and tht last link... did he say why they are not suited because it is the exact same stator and magneto as the first link...
hmm maybe im missing something in seeing the difference...

also my 138 had the same stator as your lifan140

so im sensing that maybe different build dates of engines had the different setups making it nothing to do with what brand it is...

the YX had a similar stator not the same, only had the black coil and ran a Lifan 140 stly flywheel just a different colour.

I can't be stuffed to find it for you right now but I made a thread ages ago about stators and I think my talk with cactus is in that thread. I think it was the timing he said would float crank or something like that.
and when I bought a replacement stator/flywheel kit for a lifan 125 the seller gave me strict instructions not to fit it to any motor 140 or above.

btw my yx140 is what came with a pitpro 140xr

Pulled the cover off and of course I can't see the magneto because the flywheel is in the way (I was hoping it had gaps in it) I don't have a flywheel puller, would rather not buy one if I can help it. There are 3 wires coming out of the bottom end. Blue and white, red and black, green.
I know its a long shot but do any of you guys know if that would or wouldn't indicate an appropriate stator?
And just so I know I havn't got my "wires crossed" The xy engine is 6 volt AC and needs a 6 to 12 volt -ac to DC converter. Yeah?

how many wires in total are there coming out of the stator harness... blue/white, red/back and green is non-charge coil setup

Latest posts

Back