Atomik Advice?

Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum

Help Support Mini Dirt Bikes & Pit Bikes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRAJY

Reaction score
Hi all.

Just signed up to the forum this morning.

I'm thinking of purchasing an Atomik Nitrous 160 in a couple of months.

I've been reading that these are a good buy for the price and are quite powerful.

My question (pardon me for being a noob), is the 184cc big bore, race head and carby kit going to be worth purchasing?

Ok, I'll admit, I've a novice when it comes to bikes. I don't have a bike license, but have riding trail a few times with mates. I can ride, I'm just not quick and haven't attempted any jumps as of yet.
Even if it's going to be over powered (for now), I'd rather order the kit and bike at the same time and have the seller fit the parts. I'm a mechanic by trade, but since I changed careers lately, I've sold my my big Snap-On toolbox/tools. Sigh... oh well.

Or if there is any other advise for a 30yo novice to get the best out of trail riding.

Cheers
Jon

Hey mate... welcome to the forum, and to riding minis!

Ive got the mid size atomik 160, and loving it.... and im 30 too... ha ha

Heres my opinion from recent experience.... take it or ignore it if ya want...

This bike has plenty of power... its hard enough to keep the back wheel from spinning as it is stock... I rarely get into fourth... believe me... they haul!

I would not get the race head just yet, just get the bike and see how it goes, get used to it, and if you think you need more power later on, then you can always upgrade...
As a mechanic, you will find any work on these really easy.... and dont need many tools...
One things for sure, I would not trust Atomik to fit anything for you! do it yourself then you know it is done right....

I would spend the cash on some new forks and shockie... if you plan on riding trails and attempting some jumps, the stock suspension on these things is total crud.

Other things to think of that will need to be upgraded sooner or later are handlebars, tyres & tubes, get a rimlock on there, you will need that... these bike will rip the valve right off....
Maybe a OKO Flatside Carb 26mm with 1/8 Joker throttle....

If you are going to be riding bumpy trails, maybe look at getting the big wheel version too....

OK, thats my 2 cents worth...

the 184 kit is worth more than the bike

if you where to buy a better bike then the tb kit will be worth it

depending on what your doing with it and your location it may be worth looking around at some of our sponsors bikes and doing a little research. (the search button works really good here)

btw welcome to miniriders

Last edited:
Thanks peeps.

Parents of a mate of mine has land (that their building on) in Yarra Glen. I'm told it's large, so I'm trying to get my mate to buy one as well so I can go riding there. (See what I did there? ;) )

Maybe I should just settle for the Nitrous 160 in stock form, then see what I need to tweak from there...

@coolmodee... I'm looking at buying a new bike at ~$1300. The BB and race head kit is ~$800. Plus labor, if I paid someone else to do it. But again, by the sounds of it, I'd initially be better off with a stocker first. Sounds like all you pro's are happy with the power already.

I really can't wait to ride again. It's been too long...

No probs...
If you are spending that kind of money, Id definitely look at getting a DHZ, or Motovert... will be a better all round bike... quality and after sales service on atomiks is questionable a best...

I paid $700 new & delivered from eBay for my atomik... thought you were looking at paying that too..

$700 from ebay new?

Where can I find such deals... wait. Ebay. Right. Am looking around now.

*runs off with a half ****ed eye brow*

if your prepared to spend 1300 on a bike then for the little bit extra id much rather buy something in better shape..
the price difference is a total win.. forks $440 rear shock up to $200 so 1300 plus an additional 640 to make the bike a decent ride which sooner or later you will want to do if you purchase a nitrous.. the dhz is in front straight up..
not to mention the crf70 size is a much more comfortable ride..
DHZ OUTLAW 160R, LKI Sticker, New Release

also if your mate is looking at buying also no doubt DHZ will give a discount for a 2 bike purchase..

yeah, I totally agree with sean.... Woulda been alot easier to fork out for a better bike with all the time and effort I spent fixing up my atomik to a reasonable standard.... I had to do it this way to get it past the missus though... one step at a time....ha ha...

I just sent them an email.

I sent Atomik an email yesterday morning, but haven't heard anything yet.

he he he good luck trying to get anything out of atomik mate

they cant do customer service well not in english anyway

he he he good luck trying to get anything out of atomik mate

they cant do customer service well not in english anyway

Wow... Really?

That can't be good for business...

I'll see what DHZ say about prices.

Sending them an email aint gonna help... theyll probably be awesome to make the sale, then once youve paid, they will never answer you again...
Trust the guys on here... they have had alot of experience over the years, and can save you some big headaches!
Either way you go, you'll have a helluva lot of fun on a mini mate!

^^^ Atomik are good for getting bikes cheap off eBay, that's about it. After customer sales, I got ripped when I requested a klx style frame. They ripped me in cash and sent me a pink frame that was unlike anything I'd seen, no plastics seats or anything fitted on it.

Get an Atomik cheap and do it up, or spend more and get something with better parts already:

If it was me I'd be snapping up this bike in a heart beat:

Thumpster, DHZ 160 Outlaw 2011 | eBay

I had to do it this way to get it past the missus though... one step at a time....ha ha...

yea, not alone there :) I picked mine up (fom atomik, ebay) for around the $700 mark as well, probably spent the better half of 6-800 bucks from there, but as for leaving it standard i probly would, Iv'e been riding for around 30yrs now (just an old Kid...) and out of the box the thing went fine, but as with all toys, the more upgrades the better... If you do go down the Nitrous route make sure you put aside a few bucks for shocks, the standard ones are crap. Good Luck

Thanks again to everyone!

I hate being the noob on forums...

I'm gonna be going the DHZ 160R Outlaw, if they can help out with price for a two bike purchase.

I can't wait to go riding again...

me and my boyfriend just brought atomiks! i got a 150 and he got a 160 off ebay, there bloody good bikes well for me anyways its powerful the first time i had a ride on it i was actully abit scared! lol anyways if u buy an atomik make sure u change the oil and get some lock tight and what not.. my boyfriend also is getting new shocks because his quite big and rides it hard we can allready tell a difference in the shocks and his riden it like 3 times! im not gonna bother changing mine because im light and dnt ride that hard i like to think i do tho :).. welcome to miniriders

totally agree bout the rear shock on em. total crud. got my nitrous mid the other day gotta change it asap

Latest posts

Back